Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What would you put down this driveway

What would be a cheap and interesting layer of something to paint over this
driveway of red tiles that is disintegrating due to water seeping into the
tiles and splitting them open when it freezes?

http://tinypic.com/r/2h37zpl/3

I suppose an ordinary cement type mixture would be cheapest, but to our
minds would not look that good. If I used cement what would be the minimum
thickness i could use and still park vehicles on it?

The drive is very solid and I dont want to be digging anything up. I have
seen some kind of 'ground-up' rubber (probably ground-up car tyres) in
childrens playground around the swings etc. Would that be easy to put down
or stand up to cars driving over it, or be waterproof enough? Also there are
some resin finishes but I guess they would be difficult to put down and
probably expensive?

Grateful for any suggestions. Thanks.

http://tinypic.com/r/2h37zpl/3

Posted to uk.d-i-y

john hamilton wrote:
[...]

Whatever you put over the top of this is going to look revolting, shingle,
pebbles, ground rubber, slate etc will all move and show the red tiles
through.
Any kind of paint will last about a fortnight if you're lucky.
Unless you pave over it., you're stuck with it, and the minimum depth of
cement you could get away with would be about 100mm

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
john hamilton wrote:
[...]

actually red milliput - sort of pigment loaded epoxy - might be able to
repair this.

Otherwise I'm with phil, put up with it or rip up and start again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 July, 21:07, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Phil L wrote:
john hamilton wrote:
[...]

or pave over it with something better (like Phil says too)

cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 25, 5:56*pm, "john hamilton" wrote:
[...]

I cant see paint fixing it, indeed it may make the disintegration
worse, and it would surely look poor. Why not just replace the few
worst affected pieces.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 20:19:14 +0100, Phil L wrote:

... the minimum depth of cement you could get away with would be about
100mm

OP says the base is firm, strip off the tiles and a thick skim (25mm
or so) of a strong concrete mix I'd expect to be OK. Suitably
shuttered and tamped down not hand applied and smoothed. Tamp board
marks being left to provide a grippy surface.

--
Cheers
Dave.

My driveway Dick Adams[_2_] Home Repair 2 August 6th 07 03:16 AM
Driveway Dry-Well, etc. ? Robert11 Home Repair 2 January 21st 07 03:33 PM
What's in a driveway? Tim and Steph Home Repair 5 April 18th 05 03:10 AM
Driveway simulet UK diy 7 January 30th 04 05:30 PM
What driveway deicer to use on asphalt driveway? sams Home Repair 2 December 8th 03 11:38 PM