Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default What would you put down this driveway

john hamilton wrote:
What would be a cheap and interesting layer of something to paint
over this driveway of red tiles that is disintegrating due to water
seeping into the tiles and splitting them open when it freezes?

http://tinypic.com/r/2h37zpl/3

I suppose an ordinary cement type mixture would be cheapest, but to
our minds would not look that good. If I used cement what would be
the minimum thickness i could use and still park vehicles on it?

The drive is very solid and I dont want to be digging anything up. I
have seen some kind of 'ground-up' rubber (probably ground-up car
tyres) in childrens playground around the swings etc. Would that be
easy to put down or stand up to cars driving over it, or be
waterproof enough? Also there are some resin finishes but I guess
they would be difficult to put down and probably expensive?

Grateful for any suggestions. Thanks.

http://tinypic.com/r/2h37zpl/3

Whatever you put over the top of this is going to look revolting, shingle,
pebbles, ground rubber, slate etc will all move and show the red tiles
through.
Any kind of paint will last about a fortnight if you're lucky.
Unless you pave over it., you're stuck with it, and the minimum depth of
cement you could get away with would be about 100mm

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008