Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Driveway Dry-Well, etc. ?

Hi,

Have moved into a 30 year old house that has an asphalt driveway with the
house at the bottom of.

Near the bottom there is what I believe is called a "dry-well".
There's a heavy metal grate that is over what I guess can be called a "pit".

At one time the metal grate was level with the asphalt, I would imagine, but
isn't any more. The grate has sunk about 6 or 8 inches, and the asphalt
looks "collapsed" around it.

In the Spring will probably have a top coat of new asphalt applied, or the
present asphalt dug up and I guess new gravel put in place, and then the new
asphalt.

Haven't gotten any quotes yet on the two approaches, although the digging up
the old, and placing new gravel down is probably the better, and more
expensive certainly, way to go. What do you think ?

Questions, please:

a what is typically done: just the top layer removed and a new asphalt
layer of a few inches placed right over the existing gravel ? Or, should
one always dig up the old gravel and replace with new gravel ?

Suggested thicknesses for new gravel, and for the asphalt.

b. How were these dry wells usually constructed. Can't tell by looking.
Is it likely they placed some sort of pre-cast pit in there first ? Or,...
?

If it has sunk a bit, how would it be repaired to bring the surface of it
level again ?

Would like to learn a bit about these things before asking contractors over.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

in buffalo ny: your address, climate, and weather determines driveway
construction specifications. since the construction idea is always to
keep water away from your home, i would hope you can put in a real
drainage system that will serve you properly. here, concrete makes a
better driveway that outlasts the one you describe. also look at every
sidewalk and patio and foundation repair you might upgrade upon the
same job.
also see:
http://www.buildingscience.com/resources/homeowner.htm

Robert11 wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

FIRST YOU MUST REPLACE THE ENTIRE DRIVEWAY INCLUDING THE BASE!

otherwise every crack will reappear and every sunk area sink again

can you drain the grate area to a lower level somewhere on your
property?

drywells under asphalt are bad and drywells always clog from dirt,
leaves debris etc eventually.

your much better off draining the driveway water to daylight.

not only that a driveway collects a LOT of water.

take a inch of rain per square foot times the number of sq feet of your
driveway, thats length times width.

adds up to thousands of gallons

DRIVEWAY CHI-MUM Home Repair 13 May 5th 06 02:18 PM
Setups and Dry runs: run dry or ...?? pyotr filipivich Metalworking 4 December 23rd 05 11:53 PM
What's in a driveway? Tim and Steph Home Repair 5 April 18th 05 03:10 AM
Air Dry vs, Kiln Dry JJM Woodworking 4 March 22nd 05 01:27 PM
What driveway deicer to use on asphalt driveway? sams Home Repair 2 December 8th 03 11:38 PM