Posted to alt.home.repair
CHI-MUM

Default DRIVEWAY

Is it possible or cost effective to use patio stones for a driveway?

--
CHI-MUM

--
CHI-MUM

Posted to alt.home.repair

no, the weight of the car would move them or crush them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Rudy

Is it possible or cost effective to use patio stones for a driveway?

Interlocking pavers (Google: westcon pavers) are often used for driveways.

Posted to alt.home.repair
JerryL

"CHI-MUM" wrote in message
Is it possible or cost effective to use patio stones for a driveway?

--
CHI-MUM

--
CHI-MUM

My driveway in Florida is made up of interlocking paver stones. It's 12
years old, supports two cars and looks great. Mony driveways in Florida are
made of paver stones.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

CHI-MUM wrote:
Is it possible or cost effective to use patio stones for a driveway?

--
CHI-MUM

Define cost effective.

If you are paying someone to do the work, it will be costly, but the
results are very long lasting. If you do it yourself, it is a lot of hard
work, but it is still very long lasting, but a lot cheaper.

It is also IMO much better looking.

One large advantage is that you can make adjustments and repairs. If
some pavers move or sink, they can be rest without changing the whole drive
and it still looks great.

BTW the above all assumes that you are not using cement under or between
the pavers and you are using sand. Cement eliminates most of the
advantages.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht

"CHI-MUM" wrote:

Is it possible or cost effective to use patio stones for a driveway?

Sure it is possible. But if you really mean *patio* stones- those
inch and a half thick blocks meant for patios-- then unless you put it
on a 6" thick concrete base, it won't last long.

Pavers are a different animal. How well they work depend entirely on
how well they are installed.

Cost effectiveness depends entirely on a few factors.
1. Who is going to do the labor?
2. What are local conditions?
3. How long will you be living there?
4. How will it affect your home's value?
[probably loads more]

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"CHI-MUM" wrote:

Is it possible or cost effective to use patio stones for a driveway?

Sure it is possible. But if you really mean *patio* stones- those
inch and a half thick blocks meant for patios-- then unless you put it
on a 6" thick concrete base, it won't last long.

Pavers are a different animal. How well they work depend entirely on
how well they are installed.

Cost effectiveness depends entirely on a few factors.
1. Who is going to do the labor?
2. What are local conditions?
3. How long will you be living there?
4. How will it affect your home's value?
[probably loads more]

Jim

Good point Jim. You would not want to use those things, they would not
stand up.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

I also think pavers are nicer looking, and last a lot longer (and they
don't crack). Now if you were to use those larger patio stones, thay
would most likely crack, yes.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CHI-MUM

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
CHI-MUM wrote:
Is it possible or cost effective to use patio stones for a driveway?

--
CHI-MUM

Define cost effective.

If you are paying someone to do the work, it will be costly, but the
results are very long lasting. If you do it yourself, it is a lot of
hard work, but it is still very long lasting, but a lot cheaper.

It is also IMO much better looking.

One large advantage is that you can make adjustments and repairs. If
some pavers move or sink, they can be rest without changing the whole
drive and it still looks great.

BTW the above all assumes that you are not using cement under or
between the pavers and you are using sand. Cement eliminates most of
the advantages.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

What I meant by cost affective was...
compared to having an asphalt or cement drive.

We are 63 years old. My hubby said its too much work and I can't help.
So I'm trying to find a cost efficient (cheap) way to finish the drive.

--
CHI-MUM

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

CHI-MUM wrote:
[...]

I'm 59 and I would do pavers again if I needed to. However it is a lot
of heavy work. It would also likely require some maintenance in a year or
two and maybe every five years there after. But it would likely outlive
your children over all.

You can have all the work done if you like. Why not get estimates for
all three types of drives? Asphalt will be the shortest life.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

even today asphalt is the most cost effective driveway material
available.

mine was installed about 20 years ago and although cracked is pretty
good shape laid oiver 6 inches of compacted base stone

my neighbors were done later with essential;ly no proper base and look
good for being 5 years old and cheap job.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CHI-MUM

CHI-MUM wrote:
[...]

We expect to be here about 20 years. We definitely plan to get estimates.
Our last asphalt lasted more than 18 years.

--
CHI-MUM

Driveway drainage Mark UK diy 8 August 2nd 05 01:31 AM
Driveway Drainage Problem HerHusband Home Repair 5 June 1st 05 07:33 PM
thawing an iced up driveway? Hamilton Audio Home Repair 12 January 12th 05 03:21 PM
help, concrete driveway rising up lucy Home Repair 6 November 16th 03 11:32 AM
driveway storm drain getting clogged with dirt Rachel Smith Home Repair 1 August 26th 03 09:14 AM