Tim and Steph

Default What's in a driveway?

I've got a giant pothole in my crushed stone driveway. It's about 3 feet
wide by 10 feet long by about 8" deep. I've heard of stuff called "driveway
mix", but I haven't a clue what's in it.

So, do I just get a yard of crushed stone and dump it in there? Or do I
need to get some of this "driveway mix" and use that? Or do I need to
excavate and install perf pipe or what?

G Henslee

Tim and Steph wrote:
I've got a giant pothole in my crushed stone driveway. It's about 3 feet
wide by 10 feet long by about 8" deep. I've heard of stuff called "driveway
mix", but I haven't a clue what's in it.

So, do I just get a yard of crushed stone and dump it in there? Or do I
need to get some of this "driveway mix" and use that? Or do I need to
excavate and install perf pipe or what?

Around here many folks use road base. Ask your material supplier about it.

DanG

As a general statement, a pot hole type failure in any finish
surface indicates that moisture has increased the plastic index
of the subsoil beyond its acceptable limits, and/or the loads
imposed on the surface are too large. In other words, the garbage
truck is too heavy or driving through the wet pot hole has driven
the moisture too deep into the soil.

You can try adding a fresh layer of crusher run or chat over the
damaged area. If this is a pot hole that keeps coming back in the
same place year after year you will do better to dig up the bad
spot to remove the saturated subsoil and refill with geotextile
and course stone and then top off with finer material. You will
need to do something to eliminate the moisture such as crowning
the drive, increasing the "barrow ditches" on the sides, or
creating subsurface drainage.

Each area has different terms for local stone and granular fill.
I do not recognize "driveway mix". You may not recognize my
"crusher run" or "screenings". Work with your local supplier and
explain your problem, they will fix you up with the local
equivalent.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Tim and Steph" wrote in message
I've got a giant pothole in my crushed stone driveway. It's
about 3 feet wide by 10 feet long by about 8" deep. I've heard
of stuff called "driveway mix", but I haven't a clue what's in
it.

So, do I just get a yard of crushed stone and dump it in there?
Or do I need to get some of this "driveway mix" and use that?
Or do I need to excavate and install perf pipe or what?

AlanBown

"Tim and Steph" wrote in message
I've got a giant pothole in my crushed stone driveway. It's about 3 feet
wide by 10 feet long by about 8" deep. I've heard of stuff called

"driveway
mix", but I haven't a clue what's in it.

So, do I just get a yard of crushed stone and dump it in there? Or do I
need to get some of this "driveway mix" and use that? Or do I need to
excavate and install perf pipe or what?

Came home with Grandmother in Wisconsin once and we had a 8 foot diameter
and 5 foot deep hole in the driveway.
She just parked the car in front of the hole and we went inside. Turns out
my grandfather had dug a well there when the house was built in the 1880's.
Grandma ordered 10 tons of road metal, and had it dumped in the hole I got
to spread it out some.

Might be good to find out why there is a hole. Wells are dangerous. Our farm
in Iowa had 5 old wells which my father paid to put concrete into. None were
very large in diameter, just big enough that a child could get into. Dad
said there was no amount of money that could be saved for doing it half
assed. Besides his father had put rock down them some 30 years before. Dad
was into spending money once.

adam

"AlanBown" wrote

Might be good to find out why there is a hole.

The best advice so far. To think people would fill in a hole without
finding out what's causing it, is beyond my comprehension. Besides the well
you mentioned, broken water main, sewer line, & discharge for downspouts
come to mind.

MUADIB®

besides the answers given, and after you find out why you have a hole
in the first place,...........I have heard that crushed concrete makes
a dandy driveway surface after you put it down and drive over it a
little bit. I've heard some say it was next best thing to concrete
poured in. Just another option.

I've got a giant pothole in my crushed stone driveway. It's about 3 feet
wide by 10 feet long by about 8" deep. I've heard of stuff called "driveway
mix", but I haven't a clue what's in it.

So, do I just get a yard of crushed stone and dump it in there? Or do I
need to get some of this "driveway mix" and use that? Or do I need to
excavate and install perf pipe or what?

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.

thawing an iced up driveway? Hamilton Audio Home Repair 12 January 12th 05 03:21 PM
New concrete driveway question Keith Boeheim Home Repair 6 January 5th 05 03:54 AM
driveway problem Walsh Home Repair 4 September 24th 04 02:14 AM
help, concrete driveway rising up lucy Home Repair 6 November 16th 03 11:32 AM
driveway storm drain getting clogged with dirt Rachel Smith Home Repair 1 August 26th 03 09:14 AM