Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default hole depth for play equipment

Having looked round the shops and not liked what I see, I'm thinking of
building my own play thing for the kids in the back garden. I've been asked
for a "Pirate Ship", so it'll essentially be a raised deck in a rough boat
shape, but the masts at least will need to be a couple of metres high.

How deep would the post-hole need to be for high posts like that? I
suppose, that in the future, I might put some ladder up them for the kids to
climb if that makes any difference.

Cheers for any sensible advice!

--
Selah
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Gower wrote:
Having looked round the shops and not liked what I see, I'm thinking
of building my own play thing for the kids in the back garden. I've
been asked for a "Pirate Ship", so it'll essentially be a raised deck
in a rough boat shape, but the masts at least will need to be a
couple of metres high.

How deep would the post-hole need to be for high posts like that? I
suppose, that in the future, I might put some ladder up them for the
kids to climb if that makes any difference.

Cheers for any sensible advice!

Working from a fence post backwards; A 6' post needs to be 8' so you can
have 2' in the ground, with one bag of post fix/crete.

Knowing how rough little ones can be I'd say that is an absolute bare
minimum.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 13:23:51 +0100 (BST), Stephen Gower wrote:

How deep would the post-hole need to be for high posts like that?

Rule of thumb for telegraph poles was 1/3 total length in the ground.
But that is to handle quite serious top loading on the pole, say half
a dozen pole arms and 24 open wire pairs.

You can probably drop to 1/4 the total length in the ground for your
application.

--
Cheers
Dave.