Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are recessed medicine cabinet depth same as "nominal depth"?

MiamiCuse wrote:
We all know 2x4s and 2x6s are not 4" and 6" deep.

So if you see medicine cabinets that are supposed to be recessed into the
wall and they advertise it as 4" deep cabinet or 6" deep cabinet, is it
truely a 4" or 6" deep cabinet or is it smaller to account for the depth of
a wall cavity for a wall with either 2x4 or 2x6 studs?

I will go to the store to measure it but I just thought if someone knows off
hand or may be there is no "correct" answer.

Thanks,

MC

Depth of the 'nominal' 2x4 stud, plus an assumed 1/2" layer of drywall
or whatever. Not hard against the drywall in back, but you can count on
it fitting. Most cabinets are only partially recessed- they usually sit
out an inch or more, so the door can open. Only seen a few flush
cabinets in my life. Most walls are not perfectly flat, and it would be
hard to get them to look right.

Old ones with the razor blade slot in the back may be a little
shallower, to give the blade room to fall. Note to remodelers- if the
wall you are opening up has one of those, expect a pile of old blades in
bottom of stud bay. A magnet helps- they will slice right through even
leather gloves. (as a kid, as the youngest on crew, I always got
assigned the demo work...) Plumbers in the old days hated those blade
slots, because it was usually same bay as the pipes. Led to nasty
surprises at times trying to work through a small hole under the sink,
or from the closet behind.

--
aem sends...

5 gang mud ring for 1/2" depth [email protected] Home Repair 7 April 10th 08 09:53 PM
Kitchen Cabinet depth 51 UK diy 15 December 26th 06 01:08 PM
Router bit speed & depth for 3/4" by 1/4" dado in MDF DSNail Woodworking 2 December 30th 05 11:34 PM
supporting a new tile floor- plywood depth, backer board depth? K Ruck Home Repair 7 July 3rd 05 08:16 PM
Cabinet depth fridge or not Brikp Home Repair 3 August 18th 04 10:38 PM