Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Batten depth v Insulation depth

How much give is there in PIR foam when pushed between battens? That
is to say, if I use 47x38mm treated battens do I use 40mm or 45mm PIR
foam?

The solid double brick wall is "distinctly variable" re bellied wall,
bricks tilted, however obviously the battens will sit on top of the
wall.

I assume 40mm, just wondered what people have found from experience.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 10, 7:49 pm, "js.b1" wrote:
How much give is there in PIR foam when pushed between battens? That
is to say, if I use 47x38mm treated battens do I use 40mm or 45mm PIR
foam?

The solid double brick wall is "distinctly variable" re bellied wall,
bricks tilted, however obviously the battens will sit on top of the
wall.

I assume 40mm, just wondered what people have found from experience.

by PIR do you mean Kingspan etc? if so, not much give
(I'm assuming you're thinking of bashing it onto sticky out bricks etc
and hoping it will mould/give to them? can be a PITA apart from an odd
one).

I'd have a measure and buy specific quants of each to suit the
"terrain" they'll have to cope with.

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 10, 8:27*pm, Jim K wrote:
by PIR do you mean Kingspan etc? if so, not much give
(I'm assuming you're thinking of bashing it onto sticky out bricks etc
and hoping it will mould/give to them? can be a PITA apart from an odd
one).
I'd have a measure and buy specific quants of each to suit the
"terrain" they'll have to cope with.

Not so much bashing, just wishful thinking (45mm PIR against 47mm
battens :-)
I will go with 40mm PIR. If anything sticks out further I will use
25mm PIR and Marmox 6mm 10mm offcuts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
On Jun 10, 7:49 pm, "js.b1" wrote:
How much give is there in PIR foam when pushed between battens? That
is to say, if I use 47x38mm treated battens do I use 40mm or 45mm PIR
foam?

The solid double brick wall is "distinctly variable" re bellied wall,
bricks tilted, however obviously the battens will sit on top of the
wall.

I assume 40mm, just wondered what people have found from experience.

by PIR do you mean Kingspan etc? if so, not much give
(I'm assuming you're thinking of bashing it onto sticky out bricks etc
and hoping it will mould/give to them? can be a PITA apart from an odd
one).

I'd have a measure and buy specific quants of each to suit the
"terrain" they'll have to cope with.

Cheers
Jim K

I used some rough plastering , and also mortar paint on the walls
before fitting kingspan so as to block off any draughts through tiny holes.

I'm wondering about a thin layer to go over the kingspan and the battens
to totally seal it, not sure what to use though.

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 10, 11:07*pm, "george [dicegeorge]"
wrote:
I used some rough *plastering , and also mortar paint on the walls
before fitting kingspan so as to block off any draughts through tiny holes.

Since this wall is solid I do not have to repoint it.
However for waterproofing I will be using EverBuild D.P.M. which is
basically a bitumen & latex paint.

I'm wondering about a thin layer to go over the kingspan and the battens
to totally seal it, not sure what to use though.

Foil backed or moisture resistant plasterboard will seal it re damp.
As for air draughts you only need block convection, the insulation
will do that.