Doug Kanter

Default Depth Micrometer - used for what?

I know - measuring depth. But, my ex is handling an estate sale, and found a
Starrett model 400 depth micrometer in perfect condition. We're wondering
who uses a tool like this so perhaps we can target the sales process more
accurately.

Mark and Kim Smith

Doug Kanter wrote:

I know - measuring depth. But, my ex is handling an estate sale, and found a
Starrett model 400 depth micrometer in perfect condition. We're wondering
who uses a tool like this so perhaps we can target the sales process more
accurately.

Machinists
Mechanics: valve lift, etc.
SQLit

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I know - measuring depth. But, my ex is handling an estate sale, and found

Starrett model 400 depth micrometer in perfect condition. We're wondering
who uses a tool like this so perhaps we can target the sales process more
accurately.

A machinist would use it. Anyone who works with metal accurately. Lathes,
milling, maybe even CNC.

Travis Jordan

Doug Kanter wrote:
We're wondering who uses a tool like this so perhaps we can target
the sales process more accurately.

Don't get too excited.

http://search.ebay.com/depth-microme...yZdepthQ 20mi
crometerQ20starettQQsacatZQ2d1QQsacurZ0QQsaslopZ1Q QsofocusZbs

Edwin Pawlowski

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I know - measuring depth. But, my ex is handling an estate sale, and found
a Starrett model 400 depth micrometer in perfect condition. We're wondering
who uses a tool like this so perhaps we can target the sales process more
accurately.

Gynecologist, proctologist

Doug Kanter

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
. ..
Doug Kanter wrote:
We're wondering who uses a tool like this so perhaps we can target
the sales process more accurately.

Don't get too excited.

http://search.ebay.com/depth-microme...yZdepthQ 20mi
crometerQ20starettQQsacatZQ2d1QQsacurZ0QQsaslopZ1Q QsofocusZbs

Holy smokes....lots of dead machinists.

Travis Jordan

Doug Kanter wrote:
Holy smokes....lots of dead machinists.

Either that or they all moved to China to get work.

Travis Jordan

Travis Jordan wrote:
Either that or they all moved to China to get work.

And now they are there making depth micrometers.

Doug Kanter

Travis Jordan wrote:
Either that or they all moved to China to get work.

And now they are there making depth micrometers.

.....and using them to build Chrysler mini-van motors, with machining
tolerances measured in feet. :-)

Kathy

"Doug Kanter" wrote in
message ...

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message

. .
..
Doug Kanter wrote:
We're wondering who uses a tool like this so

perhaps we can target
the sales process more accurately.

Don't get too excited.

http://search.ebay.com/depth-micrometer-starrett_W0
QQcatrefZC5QQfclZ3QQfromZR6QQfrppZ50QQfsclZ1QQfsoo Z
1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQpqryZdepthQ20mi

crometerQ20starettQQsacatZQ2d1QQsacurZ0QQsaslopZ1Q Q
sofocusZbs

Holy smokes....lots of dead machinists.

Machinists aren't dead. We just had to find other
things to do as so much work has gone offshore.

JohnH

Travis Jordan wrote:
Travis Jordan wrote:
Either that or they all moved to China to get work.

And now they are there making depth micrometers.

You'll notice this does pretty much the same job (look at the little stick
on the end).

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...d= Cen%2DTech

Accurate to 0.001''

$16. Jeesus.

PrecisionMachinisT

http://search.ebay.com/depth-microme...QQfclZ3QQfromZ
R6QQfrppZ50QQfsclZ1QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ 1QQpqryZdepthQ20mi
crometerQ20starettQQsacatZQ2d1QQsacurZ0QQsaslopZ1Q QsofocusZbs

Holy smokes....lots of dead machinists.

Most of my tools these days have dials or else they are electronic...with
LCD readout.

Other thing here is that in many larger shops the trend has gone towards
having the company supply most gaging tools and standards--easier and less
costly to maintain calibration and traceability this way.

--

SVL

indago

050629 1558 - Edwin Pawlowski posted:

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
I know - measuring depth. But, my ex is handling an estate sale, and found
a Starrett model 400 depth micrometer in perfect condition. We're wondering
who uses a tool like this so perhaps we can target the sales process more
accurately.

Gynecologist, proctologist

I've got my own depth gauge, and it's not micro...

They're all too tight and not deep enough...

Travis Jordan

indago wrote:
I've got my own depth gauge, and it's not micro...

They're all too tight and not deep enough...

Wrong hole.

Doug Kanter

"Kathy" wrote in message
news

Machinists aren't dead. We just had to find other
things to do as so much work has gone offshore.

Well....get over here! I need a 2"x3"x12" block of aluminum for a
modification I'm making on each side of my boat trailer. I've called 3 metal
shops so far and all I get is "Whuh?" I say "Imagine a wood 2x4, 12"
long....well this is similar, but it's really 2"x3"x12", and I get "Whuh?"

Sigh......

Doug Miller

In article , indago wrote:

I've got my own depth gauge, and it's not micro...

They're all too tight and not deep enough...

Turn her over on her back, stupid.

--
Regards,