NewCabMaker

Default How deep to set biscuit slot depth?

I recently bought my first biscuit joiner, a used Porter-Cable. The
previous owner had apparently set the depth too shallow because when
dry-fitting boards the biscuits bottom out before the joint closes.

I increased the depth with the fine adjustment for my first test joint
so the joint closes when dry fitting. But when I added glue to the slots
I started to wonder if I ought to cut a little deeper yet to give more
space for the glue.

How can I set the depth to the ideal, or am I worrying about something
that's not critical?

Bill
Rumpty

Cut a test slot, insert a biscuit, using a sharp pencil make a line on the
biscuit on top of the wood, remove the biscuit, turn over and reinsert, draw
another line, remove the biscuit, the lines should match. Adjust the depth
until the lines match. You can set the depth so the biscuit is just a hair
deep for ease of assembly.

--

Rumpty

"NewCabMaker" wrote in message
I recently bought my first biscuit joiner, a used Porter-Cable. The
previous owner had apparently set the depth too shallow because when
dry-fitting boards the biscuits bottom out before the joint closes.

I increased the depth with the fine adjustment for my first test joint
so the joint closes when dry fitting. But when I added glue to the slots
I started to wonder if I ought to cut a little deeper yet to give more
space for the glue.

How can I set the depth to the ideal, or am I worrying about something
that's not critical?

Bill

Joe Wilding

I am sure someone here would probably make some cuts and measure it for you.
I could do that in a day or to if you need me to. In the mean time, my
Porter Cable biscuit cutter is still set up in the factory default setting.
I think it cuts 1/16 - 1/8" extra depth (For a size 20). This is handy as it
allows for almost 1/2" of missalignment of the two slots (length-wise, not
thickness-wise) and still allows the joint to come together. You wouldn't
want to get too carried away on this extra depth becasue at some point the
biscuit won't be centered properly (located more in one baord than the
other) and you will loose joint strength. I think the 1/16" - 1/8" is about
right though, in my opinion.

Joe In Denver
My Woodworking Website:
www.the-wildings.com/shop/

"NewCabMaker" wrote in message
I recently bought my first biscuit joiner, a used Porter-Cable. The
previous owner had apparently set the depth too shallow because when
dry-fitting boards the biscuits bottom out before the joint closes.

I increased the depth with the fine adjustment for my first test joint
so the joint closes when dry fitting. But when I added glue to the slots
I started to wonder if I ought to cut a little deeper yet to give more
space for the glue.

How can I set the depth to the ideal, or am I worrying about something
that's not critical?

Bill

NewCabMaker

Thanks for posting this technique. Makes good sense to me -- and I
wouldn't have thought of it!

Bill

In article , "Rumpty"
wrote:

[...]

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when "Bob" wrote:

Isn't there a mark on your joiner that has settings on it for 10's 20's
etc.??

There's usually a rotating cam, but there's also a screw adjust in the
stop.

If you buy a cheap biscuiter then it's worth checking this, as they're
often inaccurate. I've recommended Screwfix's Ferm biscuiter to a few
people as a really cheap but usable machine, and then had them report
problems with it. Fixing this adjustment solved the problem.
Leon

"NewCabMaker" wrote in message

Umm Deep enough that you can close the joint with a biscuit and glue in it.
Practice on a pieces of scrap wood.

Phisherman

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 02:53:12 GMT, NewCabMaker
wrote:

I recently bought my first biscuit joiner, a used Porter-Cable. The
previous owner had apparently set the depth too shallow because when
dry-fitting boards the biscuits bottom out before the joint closes.

I increased the depth with the fine adjustment for my first test joint
so the joint closes when dry fitting. But when I added glue to the slots
I started to wonder if I ought to cut a little deeper yet to give more
space for the glue.

How can I set the depth to the ideal, or am I worrying about something
that's not critical?

Bill

There's no concern about "space for the glue." In fact, too much
glue can cause issues. Always take the time to do a dry fit--after
the glue is applied it's too late.
Allen

wrote:

I recently bought my first biscuit joiner, a used Porter-Cable. The
previous owner had apparently set the depth too shallow because when
dry-fitting boards the biscuits bottom out before the joint closes.

I increased the depth with the fine adjustment for my first test joint
so the joint closes when dry fitting. But when I added glue to the slots
I started to wonder if I ought to cut a little deeper yet to give more
space for the glue.

How can I set the depth to the ideal, or am I worrying about something
that's not critical?

Bill

There's no concern about "space for the glue." In fact, too much
glue can cause issues. Always take the time to do a dry fit--after
the glue is applied it's too late.

Dry fit after the glue is applied? .... Hmmm, let me get back to you on
that.

Allen

Allen

In article ,
Allen wrote:

wrote:

[...]

OK, never mind I reread that .

Allen
Krunchy

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:37:37 -0500, Allen
wrote:

There's no concern about "space for the glue." In fact, too much
glue can cause issues. Always take the time to do a dry fit--after
the glue is applied it's too late.

Dry fit after the glue is applied? .... Hmmm, let me get back to you on
that.

Allen

dyslexic..?? "after the glue has dried its too late"

now give yourself the compulsory slap on the forehead
Unquestionably Confused

Allen wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Uh, Allen? Read his post one more time, carefully. Feel free to move
your finger along the page and you can even move your lips if you wish. LOL!

Allen

In article ,
Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Allen wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Did that. Now sitting in the corner.

Allen
Phisherman

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:37:37 -0500, Allen
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Ah...Look at the dash (double hyphen) that separates two independent
clauses. Probably I should have made them separate sentences.

Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
NewCabMaker wrote:
I recently bought my first biscuit joiner, a used Porter-Cable. The
previous owner had apparently set the depth too shallow because when
dry-fitting boards the biscuits bottom out before the joint closes.

I increased the depth with the fine adjustment for my first test joint
so the joint closes when dry fitting. But when I added glue to the slots
I started to wonder if I ought to cut a little deeper yet to give more
space for the glue.

How can I set the depth to the ideal, or am I worrying about something
that's not critical?

Bill

You're right, it should be just a little deeper than the width of a
biscuit. What I've seen recommended is to cut a slot, seat a biscuit
in it, and draw a line across it with a sharp pencil where it crosses
the top of the slot. Pull the biscuit out of the slot and reverse it
and put it back in. If the line ""just" disappears into the slot the
depth is good.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Bob

Your joiner should have a depth setting for each biscuit number. My Makita
does.

"Lawrence Wasserman" wrote in message
In article ,
NewCabMaker wrote:
[...]

Deep well sockets better than standard depth? Duane Bozarth Home Repair 21 January 14th 05 07:42 PM
Deep well sockets better than standard depth? [email protected] Home Ownership 6 January 13th 05 11:48 AM
turning a narrow slot Ian Stirling Metalworking 3 August 1st 04 05:20 PM
Which Biscuit Jointer? Reader UK diy 9 February 5th 04 05:50 PM
Putting a small slot in wood Robert Smith Woodworking 12 October 25th 03 01:54 AM