Lawrence Wasserman

In article ,
NewCabMaker wrote:
I recently bought my first biscuit joiner, a used Porter-Cable. The
previous owner had apparently set the depth too shallow because when
dry-fitting boards the biscuits bottom out before the joint closes.

I increased the depth with the fine adjustment for my first test joint
so the joint closes when dry fitting. But when I added glue to the slots
I started to wonder if I ought to cut a little deeper yet to give more
space for the glue.

How can I set the depth to the ideal, or am I worrying about something
that's not critical?

Bill

You're right, it should be just a little deeper than the width of a
biscuit. What I've seen recommended is to cut a slot, seat a biscuit
in it, and draw a line across it with a sharp pencil where it crosses
the top of the slot. Pull the biscuit out of the slot and reverse it
and put it back in. If the line ""just" disappears into the slot the
depth is good.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland