Mike

Default Raising loft boarding to increase insulation depth

The insulation in my 1930's house loft is thin compared to today's
standards due to small close-spaced joist sizes and full boarding. I need
to retain the existing boarding for light storage purposes; is there a
cheaper option to adding conventional timber to raise the joists; I recall
once seeing an advert for "I" section MDF joists? Any ideas appreciated.
Mike
John Rumm

Mike wrote:

The insulation in my 1930's house loft is thin compared to today's
standards due to small close-spaced joist sizes and full boarding. I need
to retain the existing boarding for light storage purposes; is there a
cheaper option to adding conventional timber to raise the joists; I recall
once seeing an advert for "I" section MDF joists? Any ideas appreciated.

Could you not lay some ply bonded to PIR foam directly onto the existing
boarding? The stuff intended for building warm deck roofs should do what
you want.

--
Cheers,

John.

:::Jerry::::

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Mike wrote:

The insulation in my 1930's house loft is thin compared to today's
standards due to small close-spaced joist sizes and full boarding. I

need
to retain the existing boarding for light storage purposes; is there a
cheaper option to adding conventional timber to raise the joists; I

recall
once seeing an advert for "I" section MDF joists? Any ideas

appreciated.

Could you not lay some ply bonded to PIR foam directly onto the existing
boarding? The stuff intended for building warm deck roofs should do what
you want.

Bad enough getting ordinary flooring into the average loft space, I can just
imagine the fun with that stuff !...

John Rumm

:::Jerry:::: wrote:

Bad enough getting ordinary flooring into the average loft space, I can just
imagine the fun with that stuff !...

A large circular saw is your friend ;-)

--
Cheers,