Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Parking scam at Lidl

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 16/07/2010 23:45, Jethro wrote:

Of course you *could* angle grind the clamp off (which would be
criminal damage) and invite the clampers to sue you for the cost.
However, mysteriously, even though there are many cases of people
doing this, no clamping firm has tried it.

one could mail a replacement padlock of equal quality to the clamping
company to compensate for their losses! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Or you could just do a Homer Simpson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jU8846g36c&NR=1

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
John
wibbled on Saturday 17 July 2010 10:29

Another example - Round here we have a stretch of road, probably 500
metres, with a 'right turn only' lane and a 'straight ahead only'
lane. I need to be going straight on so I sit in the queue and wait,
as we all _know_ we should, then I see ill-mannered, inconsiderate
*******s shooting down the 'turn right only' lane and forcing their
way into the straight ahead queue as they get to the lights. But I
won't do that. I refuse to behave that way because it's just not
right. What gives them the right to get ahead at the expense of
others? Nothing. They know they shouldn't do it, just as the OP knew
he shouldn't do it.

I always make a point of not allowing those people to merge if they try
to pull in front of me after such a stunt. And they know it. They
usually fail to merge for many cars behind as everyone seems to take
equal exception.

Close to here there's a 'cut through' with two width restrictions. You
have to give way at the first one and have right of way at the second.
Clearly marked. And many will try and bully their way through, especially
by keeping close to the car in front. Being a short cut, it's fair to
assume most have used it before. Black cabs are one of the worst obvious
offenders.

--
*When cheese gets it's picture taken, what does it say?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/2010 10:29, John wrote:

I see what you're saying but to me it's still not right. It's not about what
the shop allows or doesn't allow, it's about the individual driver who
chooses to do it. I just would not do it because I truly believe that
parking spaces at a shop are for customers of that shop while they do their
shopping in there. Once you've finished, you move on and let someone else
use that space while they shop there. It's just common courtesy and good
manners rather than the 'I'm alright Jack and stuff anyone else' attitude.

If the car park isn't full, what problem are you causing?

Another example - Round here we have a stretch of road, probably 500 metres,
with a 'right turn only' lane and a 'straight ahead only' lane. I need to be
going straight on so I sit in the queue and wait, as we all _know_ we
should, then I see ill-mannered, inconsiderate *******s shooting down the
'turn right only' lane and forcing their way into the straight ahead queue
as they get to the lights. But I won't do that. I refuse to behave that way
because it's just not right. What gives them the right to get ahead at the
expense of others? Nothing. They know they shouldn't do it, just as the OP
knew he shouldn't do it.

Agree that's bad, but it's not relevant to the point we're discussing.
In this case they've gained and others have lost, in the parking
question the OP has gained and nobody has lost.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:

If you don't spot which is the free button, you get to a menu that
only accepts money. They don't seem to understand how stupid this is.

Oh, I bet they do.

Like the councils in the UK which choose to install pre-pay parking
ticket machines and then make their fees such that no one is likely to
have that amount of money in change unless they know the area well and
have pre-prepared payment. This leaves the car driver with two choices,
round up the 70/90p parking charge to £1 or risk not paying. Either way
the council wins. They also win if the driver gets back to the car late.

My local council played fair for a time and changed the parking
machines to "pay on exit" using machines that took credit/debit cards.
They have recently ripped out these machines and have gone back to
pre-pay stating that the pay on exit system didn't make as much money as
the pre-pay not least because there was no chance to fine driver for
being five minutes late. That's clear evidence that they don't want to
be fair to the motorist, they just want to gouge as much as possible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote:
On 17/07/2010 10:29, John wrote:

I see what you're saying but to me it's still not right. It's not
about what the shop allows or doesn't allow, it's about the
individual driver who chooses to do it. I just would not do it
because I truly believe that parking spaces at a shop are for
customers of that shop while they do their shopping in there. Once
you've finished, you move on and let someone else use that space
while they shop there. It's just common courtesy and good manners
rather than the 'I'm alright Jack and stuff anyone else' attitude.

If the car park isn't full, what problem are you causing?

Maybe no problem at all but that's not the point. It's the mindset that you
can do it, so you will do it. Like I keep saying, it's about manners,
courtesy and principles. It's about the fact that you shouldn't even be
thinking that it's OK to do it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Matty F
saying something like:

Are 12 volt angle grinders available

Easily - deWalt do a lovely one.

or do I have to buy an inverter?

You should have one anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
saying something like:

Or you could just do a Homer Simpson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jU8846g36c&NR=1

Or just have a toolkit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHwKLhIpa94&NR=1
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 17, 12:16*am, "John" wrote:

I don't know Uttoxeter at all, but I'll bet that blah blah wank wank. However, I'll also bet that the OP is blah blah wank wank.

Good that you're criticising from a position of knowledge and not
steaming ignorance, John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 17, 10:29*am, "John" wrote:

I see what you're saying but to me it's still not right. It's not about what
the shop allows or doesn't allow, it's about the individual driver who
chooses to do it.

So are you saying that Lidl don't have the right to choose how their
carpark should be used?

If the individual driver chooses something other than what you would
choose, is that OK? Or is any choice other than the one you'd make a
one-way ticket to the moral damnation?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 17, 11:56*am, "John" wrote:
Clive George wrote:

If the car park isn't full, what problem are you causing?

Maybe no problem at all but that's not the point. It's the mindset that you
can do it, so you will do it. Like I keep saying, it's about manners,
courtesy and principles. It's about the fact that you shouldn't even be
thinking that it's OK to do it.

Once again, John, what manners, courtesy or principles are being
undermined by occupying a small amount of tarmac temporarily in an
empty carpark outside an empty supermarket?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 17, 9:57 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

However, remember that clampers do not usually wait long after clamping a
car before they tow it. They make more money that way and they are paid on a
commision basis.

There was a case recently when a clamp was put on the car of an
elderly lady and her husband in a wheelchair. It was parked in a
disabled parking area and was displaying a valid permit for doing
that. The lady had phoned the clamping company, who took hours to
arrive.
If I'd been there I would have phoned the company and said "You've got
5 minutes to remove the clamp or I will chop it off".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 17, 11:56*am, "John" wrote:

Maybe no problem at all but that's not the point. It's the mindset that you
can do it, so you will do it. Like I keep saying, it's about manners,
courtesy and principles. It's about the fact that you shouldn't even be
thinking that it's OK to do it.

John, could you explain how your commitment to manners, courtesy and
principles squares with coming on here and calling the OP a "tosser"?

Isn't your own hypocrisy as much a sign of moral turpitude as the
behaviour you're criticising others for?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 10:29:12 +0100, "John" wrote:

Another example - Round here we have a stretch of road, probably 500 metres,
with a 'right turn only' lane and a 'straight ahead only' lane. I need to be
going straight on so I sit in the queue and wait, as we all _know_ we
should, then I see ill-mannered, inconsiderate *******s shooting down the
'turn right only' lane and forcing their way into the straight ahead queue
as they get to the lights. But I won't do that. I refuse to behave that way
because it's just not right. What gives them the right to get ahead at the
expense of others? Nothing. They know they shouldn't do it, just as the OP
knew he shouldn't do it.

Total, absolute, utter and complete strawman.

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 July, 09:08, "BruceB" wrote:
"Jethro" wrote in message

snip

Regarding parking charges, the argument goes that by posting the
parking companies T & Cs in the car park, they are making you aware of
their provisions (that you pony up £90 if you don't shop at Lidl). If
you don't like the T&Cs you are free to leave. By not leaving you are
implicitly agreeing to the "contract" (and therefore owe the £90).
This concept is called (IANAL caveat again) "weak consent".

HOWEVER, AFAIAA this has never been tested in a court. If it were to
be, then the visibility of the sign, the wording, and a whole load of
other factors would be considered as to whether the situation were
clear enough to be considered a "contract" and therefore enforceable
by the courts.

Regularly tested in the small claims court. *Companies seem reluctant to go
there , but here are a couple of examples that went the parking company's
way:http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/ne...old-of-signs-i...

snip

Of course you *could* angle grind the clamp off (which would be
criminal damage) and invite the clampers to sue you for the cost.
However, mysteriously, even though there are many cases of people
doing this, no clamping firm has tried it.

The clampers do not have to sue you, they can report you to the police as it
is criminal damage and then you risk a criminal record.

Regards
Bruce

but that would invite a counter claim of criminal damage to your car.
A claim they may very well *lose*.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 17, 11:56*am, "John" wrote:
Clive George wrote:
On 17/07/2010 10:29, John wrote:

I see what you're saying but to me it's still not right. It's not
about what the shop allows or doesn't allow, it's about the
individual driver who chooses to do it. I just would not do it
because I truly believe that parking spaces at a shop are for
customers of that shop while they do their shopping in there. Once
you've finished, you move on and let someone else use that space
while they shop there. It's just common courtesy and good manners
rather than the 'I'm alright Jack and stuff anyone else' attitude.

If the car park isn't full, what problem are you causing?

Maybe no problem at all but that's not the point. It's the mindset that you
can do it, so you will do it.

No, it's the mindset that it's allowed and I can do it, so I will,
which is perfectly acceptable.

Your example of of the lanes in the road covers the mindset that it is
not allowed,according to the lane markings, but there's no physical
barrier to stop it being done so I will do it.

Two completely different scenarios.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 17, 11:45*am, (Steve Firth) wrote:
Matty F wrote:
If you don't spot which is the free button, you get to a menu that
only accepts money. They don't seem to understand how stupid this is.

Oh, I bet they do.

Like the councils in the UK which choose to install pre-pay parking
ticket machines and then make their fees such that no one is likely to
have that amount of money in change unless they know the area well and
have pre-prepared payment. This leaves the car driver with two choices,
round up the 70/90p parking charge to £1 or risk not paying.

Third choice: keep some change in the car, especially when visiting
unfamiliar territory. Not difficult for someone of your intelligence.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 14:41:33 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
saying something like:

Or you could just do a Homer Simpson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jU8846g36c&NR=1

Or just have a toolkit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHwKLhIpa94&NR=1

I can't see how this is done. It's dark & picture is poor.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 14:41:33 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
saying something like:

Or you could just do a Homer Simpson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jU8846g36c&NR=1

Or just have a toolkit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHwKLhIpa94&NR=1

I can't see how this is done. It's dark & picture is poor.

This one is better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QkM-dWAXOs

It must be an old one as he has a tit on his head.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 14:26:45 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 14:41:33 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
saying something like:

Or you could just do a Homer Simpson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jU8846g36c&NR=1

Or just have a toolkit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHwKLhIpa94&NR=1

I can't see how this is done. It's dark & picture is poor.

This one is better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QkM-dWAXOs

It must be an old one as he has a tit on his head.

Some forces still wear those tits on their heads.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 16, 1:22*pm, "John" wrote:
Clive George wrote:
On 16/07/2010 11:59, John wrote:

The point that you (and everyone else it would seem) are missing is
that it is not a _public_ car park, it is _Lidl's_ car park. I
assume that when Lidl were spending the time, money and effort to
build a car park outside their shop, they were intending it to be
for their own customers. The fact that they didn't explicitly state
this on a sign somewhere, or barrier it off to all except Lidl
customers should not matter. The car park is on their land, outside
their store, so by implication the car park is for their customers.

The OP is a customer of Lidl. So where's the problem?

And so we come full circle.

The problem is that the OP was a customer of Lidl for a few minutes and then
went off doing general shopping, leaving his car occupying a Lidl parking
space when he wasn't a customer of Lidl. If the car park is/was full he is
effectively blocking a _potential_ customer of Lidl from _becoming_ a
customer of Lidl - ergo, potential customer doesn't get the shopping they
want, Lidl lose money and decide that they need some company like UKPC to
look after the car park - and before some pedant says it'll take more than
the OPs car to make that situation a reality, I know. Maybe there's plenty
more inconsiderate *******s around to make it a reality.

Seems amazing that 'any' commercial company trying to sell to the
retail market would not ensure there is adequate and/or 'more than
sufficient' parking'? Reminds one that many years ago a well known
down-town company put 'free parking' on their roof because customers
were objecting to then recently introduced parking meters. Suppose the
customer decides to buy at Lidl's then go next door (or within the
store) for a cuppa/coffee and then next door again to look at some
shoes?

Any super market here with inadequate parking would lose business to
one of their competitors; in fact there is one where parking is more
congested so we don't go there! Except to occasionally compare prices
or if it's early morning and the lot is relatively empty. The problem
seems to be that there are several resident businesses in the same
buildings whose employees are there all day, including a 24 hour call-
centre!

I have no connection with Wal mart except as an occasional
customer ................. but go to our local WM, for example; their
parking lot is huge. Probably some 30 to 50 times the size of the
store itself?

The only problem have had with WM was; one Saturday night needing an
auto battery I called up their 'Store opening Hours' number (a free
local call) which said "Open till 9.30 PM," or summat. Arriving there
found auto dept. unstaffed. (Something to do with auto-mechanics union
hours!). So grabbed a battery off the rack, having confirmed the type
number for vehicle, and checked it out. Small overnight top-up charge
and then installed it in the driveway the following morning. Had more
trouble with hooking the hold down bolts more than anything else. And
the vehicle started right up .......... checked the charging voltage
at a bit over 14 volts, about 2.3 to 2.4 volts per cell, and it's
worked fine ever since.

I must take back the old battery and get my $10 incentive/rebate
sometime. Total cost around $100 Canadian or roughly 70 quid? Since
the last battery lasted through eight winters and summers do not
foresee too many problems. Also has up to three roadside assists
included in price, for several years anywhere in North America and
Mexico!

But back to parking. Not only do WM always have more than sufficient
space, they encourage (apparently the founder was an RV enthusiast)
passing RVers (Recreational vehicles/caravans etc.) to park over
night. It is the custom for RVs to park well away from the entrances
and are also welcome to use the facilities inside the store (this
mainly during the summer/tourism season of course).

Since Wal Mart carries various food items, has auto supplies and
camping gear depts. and often have 'fast-food' franchises within their
store, the mutual arrangement makes sense.

The only places here that even deign to impose a parking fee or any
restrictions etc. are those not engaged in commerce ....... the main
hospital Health Centre, on the pretext that the university next door
would monopolize the parking, some down-town city buildings who have
underground parking, always insufficient for the number of employees
in the building of course!

BTW one notices that in some Gulf countries they do not charge for the
underground parking, to do so might discourage people from shopping in
the buildings above and the retail commercial enterprises from making
a profit! And their gasoline costs somewhere around 20 cents (about 15
pence?) per litre.

Lidl's approach seems almost backwards and counter productive? Surely
a few acres of parking even at today's inflated land prices and pro-
customer parking approach would be a profitable investment?

Another example maybe; there is a gas (petrol) station here who
although they charge the 'fill it yourself prices' have a crew of
young men who fill your vehicle; the moment you stop they are there to
serve. And boy, they do a lot of business, constantly busy!

002 cents from here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 11:45:27 +0100, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

Matty F wrote:

If you don't spot which is the free button, you get to a menu that
only accepts money. They don't seem to understand how stupid this is.

Oh, I bet they do.

Like the councils in the UK which choose to install pre-pay parking
ticket machines and then make their fees such that no one is likely to
have that amount of money in change unless they know the area well and
have pre-prepared payment. This leaves the car driver with two choices,
round up the 70/90p parking charge to £1 or risk not paying. Either way
the council wins. They also win if the driver gets back to the car late.

It gets worse. Around here you can only put in the exact money. The
meter will not accept too much unless it is the exact charge for a
longer time period. Not very helpful when the none of the charges are
exact multiples of £1.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:

Third choice: keep some change in the car, especially when visiting
unfamiliar territory.

Because of course a smackhead would never break a £200 window in order
to grab two pounds in change from a vehicle.

Not difficult for someone of your intelligence.

Apparently too complicated for someone of yours.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:

It gets worse. Around here you can only put in the exact money. The
meter will not accept too much unless it is the exact charge for a
longer time period. Not very helpful when the none of the charges are
exact multiples of £1.

Jings, I hadn't seen that variant. That really does suck.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Matty F wrote:

If you don't spot which is the free button, you get to a menu that
only accepts money. They don't seem to understand how stupid this is.

Oh, I bet they do.

Like the councils in the UK which choose to install pre-pay parking
ticket machines and then make their fees such that no one is likely to
have that amount of money in change unless they know the area well and
have pre-prepared payment. This leaves the car driver with two choices,
round up the 70/90p parking charge to £1 or risk not paying. Either way
the council wins. They also win if the driver gets back to the car late.

It gets worse. Around here you can only put in the exact money. The
meter will not accept too much unless it is the exact charge for a
longer time period. Not very helpful when the none of the charges are
exact multiples of £1.

Some of the ones round here take anything you can put in, and give you
time in proportion (there is a minimum charge).
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 19, 6:31*pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:

Third choice: keep some change in the car, especially when visiting
unfamiliar territory.

Because of course a smackhead would never break a £200 window in order
to grab two pounds in change from a vehicle.

Don't be silly, of course they would, but why would they target your
car over any other, unless you foolishly leave valuables on display?

Not difficult for someone of your intelligence.

Apparently too complicated for someone of yours.

What's difficult about keeping some loose change in the glove
compartment, or other out of sight location?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 16, 5:08*pm, "John" wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
John wrote:

The problem is that the OP was a customer of Lidl for a few minutes
and then went off doing general shopping, leaving his car occupying
a Lidl parking space when he wasn't a customer of Lidl.

I think he did it the other way round, i.e. parked, went elsewhere,
came back to shop at lidl, quite likely to get caught if the sharks
are on the look-out.

If he'd parked, gone to lidl then walked elsewhere (without dropping
stuff into the car) they'd be far less likely to notice ...

Does it matter? End result is that he was using a Lidl parking space when
not a customer of Lidl

When do you become a customer? By your logic everyone is using a
parking space when not a customer when they first arrive.

What if a cripple takes 10mins to walk from the car to the shop,
should he be penalised for parking whilst not a customer?

What if an able-bodied person takes 10mins to buy stamps from the PO
over the road for posting the gift they are going to buy in Lidl,
should they be penalised?

Where do you draw the line, and why?

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Jul 16, 5:08 pm, "John" wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Lidl draws the line anywhere it thinks fit. Plenty of other supermarkets
for those who don't like the terms and conditions.
I was in my local one yesterday and one of the conditions I accept is
that there is no time to pack things at the checkout. They hurtle along
the conveyor and would fall off the end if you didn't just chuck them
back in the trolley. However, they have an area after that where you can
pack things at your leisure, which is a system I have come to prefer. If
I need unlimited time at the checkout, or a skivvy to pack for me, I'll
have to go to Waitrose.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 20, 12:57*pm, stuart noble wrote:
Man at B&Q wrote:
On Jul 16, 5:08 pm, "John" wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

There is when I shop there. I have been told off and had some scowls
for not just putting it in the trolley (same in Aldi) but my time is
precious to me. The day they ban me for not following the "rules" is
the day they lose a customer.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Man at B&Q"
saying something like:

Lidl draws the line anywhere it thinks fit. Plenty of other supermarkets
for those who don't like the terms and conditions.
I was in my local one yesterday and one of the conditions I accept is
that there is no time to pack things at the checkout.

There is when I shop there. I have been told off and had some scowls
for not just putting it in the trolley (same in Aldi) but my time is
precious to me. The day they ban me for not following the "rules" is
the day they lose a customer.

Easy solution is use a pair of nested banana boxes which sit in the
bottom of the trolley as you go round. At the checkout, the boxes get
re-filled and are easy to lift into the car boot. A full month's worth
of shopping is in excess of the boxes, but I normally only have to fill
half a dozen bags instead of ten or more.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:
On Jul 16, 5:08 pm, "John" wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Not playing the game though is it? You know how Lidl keeps prices low,
but it depends on people not behaving like they're Waitrose. Best of
both worlds for you, but not so good for those behind you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 13:16:39 +0100 Tim Streater wrote :
Pay and display is a definite rip-off.

The UK version, generally yes. Across the road from my old church
in Twickenham they introduced P&D, chargeable to 6.30, 7 days a
week. If you turn up at 6.25 for the 6.30 evening service you
either pay 40p for an hour or take a chance that the snatch squad
won't breeze in at 6.28 (a favourite LB Richmond tactic). ... Or
just come in late.

Here where I've used P&D you get what you pay for, so if it's $3
per hour and you put in 50c you get 12 minutes. Put in 2 x $2 and
you get 1hr 20 - a UK machine would pocket the extra $1. I've no
doubt that UK machines could be made to work that way but it would
lose councils money, enough said. Any other retailer who refused to
give change would no doubt be taken to task by same councils'
trading standards.

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on' Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.eurobeam.co.uk www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 05:25:40 -0700 (PDT), "Man at B&Q"
wrote:

There is when I shop there. I have been told off and had some scowls
for not just putting it in the trolley (same in Aldi) but my time is
precious to me. The day they ban me for not following the "rules" is
the day they lose a customer.

I have a feeling that demeaning the customers and trying to make them
jump up and down is what this and the parking issue is all about.

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tony Bryer wrote:

The UK version, generally yes. Across the road from my old church
in Twickenham they introduced P&D, chargeable to 6.30, 7 days a
week. If you turn up at 6.25 for the 6.30 evening service you
either pay 40p for an hour or take a chance that the snatch squad
won't breeze in at 6.28 (a favourite LB Richmond tactic). ... Or
just come in late.

Can't you ask the vicar (or whatever he's called) to reschedule the
service to 6:35?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Jul 2010 14:46:41 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

Not playing the game though is it? You know how Lidl keeps prices low,

Yes, third rate fruit and veg, miniscule portions in their frozen
ready meals, packed in rubbish without the benefit of being re-cycled.

Oh, I forgot, checkout service abysmal.

I once went through the till at Aldi with a punnet of strawberies. The
inarticulate ape they employ as a check out operator propelled them
off the end of the belt without looking so they fell about three feet
to the bottom of the trolley, the thin plastic packaging split apart
and the strawberries scattered all round. Their quality was not
improved.

but it depends on people not behaving like they're Waitrose. Best of
both worlds for you,

Own brands and fresh produce ****. Some, only some, cheapish. Store
full of Students, OAP's, druggies, dole bludgers, eastern block
immigrants, bettatooed single parent mums with buggies on steroids and
kids power-screaching.

These, along with dewdrops on noses and blisters on kittens are a few
of my least favourite things.

Not exactly the "best of my world". I suppose I must be snobbish YMMV.

but not so good for those behind you.

A general property of queueing. No different to queueing in the post
office or at a railway ticket counter for example. The solution in
each instance is the same, more and better quality checkout facilities
and actually have more than one open at a time and not to try to put
the blame on the customers.

HTH

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Derek Geldard wrote:
but it depends on people not behaving like they're Waitrose. Best of
both worlds for you,

[of Lidl]

Own brands and fresh produce ****. Some, only some, cheapish. Store
full of Students, OAP's, druggies, dole bludgers, eastern block
immigrants, bettatooed single parent mums with buggies on steroids and
kids power-screaching.

These, along with dewdrops on noses and blisters on kittens are a few
of my least favourite things.

Not exactly the "best of my world". I suppose I must be snobbish YMMV.

I'd suppose that too. But you could try using a different Lidl from the
one in your obviously Pikey area.

but not so good for those behind you.

A general property of queueing. No different to queueing in the post
office or at a railway ticket counter for example. The solution in
each instance is the same, more and better quality checkout facilities
and actually have more than one open at a time and not to try to put
the blame on the customers.

Perhaps you've not realised checkout staff have to be paid? Which in the
end goes on your bill? Stick to Waitrose. I find the Harrods food hall not
bad for service too.

--
*I can see your point, but I still think you're full of ****.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Derek Geldard wrote:
[...]

Oh, I much prefer Fortnums.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I suppose I must be snobbish YMMV.

No, you're kidding
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 08:51:57 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

[Snipped my stuff]

Own brands and fresh produce ****. Some, only some, cheapish. Store
full of Students, OAP's, druggies, dole bludgers, eastern block
immigrants, bettatooed single parent mums with buggies on steroids and
kids power-screaching.

These, along with dewdrops on noses and blisters on kittens are a few
of my least favourite things.

Not exactly the "best of my world". I suppose I must be snobbish YMMV.

I'd suppose that too. But you could try using a different Lidl from the
one in your obviously Pikey area.

You're right - I should have moved years ago, the city has expanded
and is now too close for comfort, but I haven't been able to find
another house further out I can afford with room on the drive for 9
cars.

but not so good for those behind you.

A general property of queueing. No different to queueing in the post
office or at a railway ticket counter for example. The solution in
each instance is the same, more and better quality checkout facilities
and actually have more than one open at a time and not to try to put
the blame on the customers.

Perhaps you've not realised checkout staff have to be paid?

I don't think they do pay them at Lidl, I think they just get a free
meal of a trough of baked beans garnished with a couple of dead dogs.

I wouldn't pay them in washers and I 'm certain you wouldn't either.

Which in the end goes on your bill?

As it does at the bank, Post Office etc.

Stick to Waitrose.

Thanks but no thanks if the one in Milton Keynes is typical, (we don't
have one) it reminded me of a supermarket behind the iron curtain in
1969. IE stock levels of tinned fruit in single digit quantities.

I find the Harrods food hall not bad for service too.

It's slipping since that nice Mr. Al-Fayed sold out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 10:14:43 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Derek Geldard wrote:
but it depends on people not behaving like they're Waitrose. Best of
both worlds for you,

[of Lidl]

Own brands and fresh produce ****. Some, only some, cheapish. Store
full of Students, OAP's, druggies, dole bludgers, eastern block
immigrants, bettatooed single parent mums with buggies on steroids and
kids power-screaching.

These, along with dewdrops on noses and blisters on kittens are a few
of my least favourite things.

Not exactly the "best of my world". I suppose I must be snobbish YMMV.

I'd suppose that too. But you could try using a different Lidl from the
one in your obviously Pikey area.

[Snip]

Oh, I much prefer Fortnums.

A 470 mile round trip and not as good as local farm shops.

Derek
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 02:21:42 +1000, Tony Bryer
wrote:

The UK version, generally yes. Across the road from my old church
in Twickenham they introduced P&D, chargeable to 6.30, 7 days a
week. If you turn up at 6.25 for the 6.30 evening service you
either pay 40p for an hour or take a chance that the snatch squad
won't breeze in at 6.28 (a favourite LB Richmond tactic). ... Or
just come in late.

Not entirely typical of a Council methinks. If end-of-play is 6-30pm
the issuers of tickets usually finish work well before 6-30pm to get
back to the depotin time to knock off while they are still being paid.

Other Council depts generally close to the public at 4pm .

If Stinge, Grabbit & Waltzoff are running the show all bets are off

Here where I've used P&D you get what you pay for, so if it's $3
per hour and you put in 50c you get 12 minutes. Put in 2 x $2 and
you get 1hr 20 - a UK machine would pocket the extra $1. I've no
doubt that UK machines could be made to work that way but it would
lose councils money, enough said. Any other retailer who refused to
give change would no doubt be taken to task by same councils'
trading standards.

Parking one Saturday afternoon outside Leeds Parish Church I was
agrieved because there was only 3 hours parking time left and I could
only purchase a minimum of four hours parking. On buying a ticket
under protest I found I was issued with a ticket valid for what
remained of Saturday, all day Sunday, and the first hour of Monday
morning.

Parking surface Keith Dunbar UK diy 16 July 27th 07 02:39 PM
council parking ticket scam? Stuart Noble UK diy 26 December 6th 06 03:55 PM
Parking Pad Jim Home Repair 9 August 12th 06 08:19 PM
OT Parking Revisited! David Lang UK diy 6 June 23rd 05 05:54 PM
OT. Parking David Lang UK diy 74 May 30th 05 05:56 PM