Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chrome towel warmer - uniform heating?

Hi

I recently purchased a chrome towel warmer for the bathroom. Plumber
fitted it and switched CH system on. Four of the fourteen bars appear
not to be heating, certainly not nearly as much as the other bars. The
plumber said it wasn't normal and that it was probably faulty. I sent it
back to the sales co, who sent it to the manufacturer for testing.

The manufacturer has said that it is heating fine (albeit with an
electric element rather than a pumped system.) The sales co now want to
charge me for two wasted courier journeys to return it to me.

First, is it normal for these rads to have some bars that don't heat up
very much? Second, can / should they charge me for this? As far as I am
concerned the rad doesn't work as I expected it to. If I reject the
goods, are they likely to take the delivery charge out of my refund?

Thanks for any advice you can offer - I am aware some of my questions
should perhaps be in the legal / finance groups and I will post there if
more appropriate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 24, 10:53 am, Steve wrote:
[...]

I expect they will try and let you **** around trying to get it back
until you give up...

Can you reveal who we talking about?

Did you pay by credit card? if so maybe worth calling them and
explaining that you've rejected some goods which your plumber advised
you were faulty etc and you are having issues with the sales co
regarding a full refund and want the CC co to assist and refund you
i.e. do a "chargeback" in your favour for full amount.
If they agree you can let the rest chase you for the courier charges
which they won't cos not worth it.

Cheers
Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve wrote:
[...]

We have one of these:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/P.../JVSSDC520.JPG

It's stainless rather than chrome.

CH water entry and exit is vertically at the bottom, one either
side. There is a bleed-valve at the top at the back.

It heats up uniformly from the bottom to the top in about 1-2 minutes when
the CH comes on. It's the highest point in the system so does occasionally
need bleeding (not often though - really not sure if there's a leak,
or whatever, but it's not enough for me to wory)

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 24, 11:02 am, Gordon Henderson
wrote:
In article ,

Steve wrote:
[...]

add and "aladdin auto vent" or similar?

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/2010 11:08, John Rumm wrote:

Which four - i.e. top, bottom, or elsewhere?

random - 2,3,5,10 although the manufacturer's report shows slight
differences (see post above)

plumber said it wasn't normal and that it was probably faulty. I sent it
back to the sales co, who sent it to the manufacturer for testing.

Hard to see how a towel rail can be faulty as such - unless it has
blocked pipes.

This was my assumption - but manufacturer says no.

The manufacturer has said that it is heating fine (albeit with an
electric element rather than a pumped system.) The sales co now want to
charge me for two wasted courier journeys to return it to me.

First, is it normal for these rads to have some bars that don't heat up
very much? Second, can / should they charge me for this? As far as I am

No, unless they have not been bleed correctly.

concerned the rad doesn't work as I expected it to. If I reject the
goods, are they likely to take the delivery charge out of my refund?

Quite possibly. Did you buy from the manufacturer directly, or from a
shop? (technically speaking your contract is with the shop in which case)

Website - sales co that passes orders to manufacturer.

Thanks for any advice you can offer - I am aware some of my questions
should perhaps be in the legal / finance groups and I will post there if
more appropriate.

If it is working fine, get the plumber back to re-fit it, and pass the
bill for couriers on to him!

Well the "working fine" part is debatable as far as I am concerned - I
expected all bars to heat evenly. If they return it and all is fine,
then your suggestion comes in to play. However, at this point I feel
reluctant to just fork out an extra 35 quid in courier fees - so much
for Internet savings!

Regards,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim K wrote:
On Jun 24, 11:02 am, Gordon Henderson
wrote:
In article ,

Steve wrote:
[...]

Not worth it for the time it takes - once every couple of months or so.

And it's not compatable:

Do not use on radiators with vertical tapping - e.g. towel radiators.

The bleed-valve is a tiny screw in thing at the top of one of the
verticals. Nothing more clever than a small bolt and fibre washer!

Cheers,

Gordon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/06/2010 12:22, John Rumm wrote:

Which four - i.e. top, bottom, or elsewhere?

random - 2,3,5,10 although the manufacturer's report shows slight
differences (see post above)

It sounds like you may have a case of a poorly balanced heating system,
so that the flow rate through the rad is too low. This could manifest in
slow and uneven heating, but since the actual output of these rads is
actually quite low, would not stop at least some of it getting hot to
the touch.

Thanks for the reply John. For info, I did close all other rads off to
direct flow only through this one and it was the same. Presumably this
eliminates the unbalance theory?

It might be a case of having to take the hit and attempt to extract
satisfaction from the plumber.

Sounds like you might be right. Thanks again for your input.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 June, 12:30, Gordon Henderson wrote:
It heats up uniformly from the bottom to the top in about 1-2 minutes when
the CH comes on. It's the highest point in the system so does occasionally
need bleeding (not often though - really not sure if there's a leak,
or whatever, but it's not enough for me to wory)

Gordon

add and "aladdin auto vent" or similar?

Not worth it for the time it takes - once every couple of months or so.

if it makes you feel useful ;)

And it's not compatable:

ahem...for e.g.

http://www.tradeplumbing.co.uk/Aladd...e_p_14177.html

The bleed-valve is a tiny screw in thing at the top of one of the
verticals. Nothing more clever than a small bolt and fibre washer!

yes that's what the auto vent replaces....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim K wrote:
On 24 June, 12:30, Gordon Henderson wrote:
It heats up uniformly from the bottom to the top in about 1-2 minutes when
the CH comes on. It's the highest point in the system so does occasionally
need bleeding (not often though - really not sure if there's a leak,
or whatever, but it's not enough for me to wory)

Gordon

add and "aladdin auto vent" or similar?

Not worth it for the time it takes - once every couple of months or so.

if it makes you feel useful ;)

I'm Scottish.

And it's not compatable:

ahem...for e.g.

http://www.tradeplumbing.co.uk/Aladd...e_p_14177.html

Very nice, but it's still not compatable:

http://unicorn.drogon.net/nut.jpg

The bleed-valve is a tiny screw in thing at the top of one of the
verticals. Nothing more clever than a small bolt and fibre washer!

yes that's what the auto vent replaces....

Maybe I ought to have said: Small bolt and fibre washer perpindicular
to the pipe, the top of which is welded over...

Gordon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 12:31:27 +0100, Steve wrote:

On 24/06/2010 12:22, John Rumm wrote:

Which four - i.e. top, bottom, or elsewhere?

random - 2,3,5,10 although the manufacturer's report shows slight
differences (see post above)

It sounds like you may have a case of a poorly balanced heating system,
so that the flow rate through the rad is too low. This could manifest in
slow and uneven heating, but since the actual output of these rads is
actually quite low, would not stop at least some of it getting hot to
the touch.

Thanks for the reply John. For info, I did close all other rads off to
direct flow only through this one and it was the same. Presumably this
eliminates the unbalance theory?

It might be a case of having to take the hit and attempt to extract
satisfaction from the plumber.

Sounds like you might be right. Thanks again for your input.

It is quite possible that the manufacturer tested it at a much higher
flow rate than the average central heating system.

I would be inclined to write to the seller and reject the item as not
being of merchantable quality, requesting a full refund.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 24, 7:05 pm, Gordon Henderson wrote:

http://www.tradeplumbing.co.uk/Aladd...Radiator-Airve...

Very nice, but it's still not compatable:

http://unicorn.drogon.net/nut.jpg

Maybe I ought to have said: Small bolt and fibre washer perpindicular
to the pipe, the top of which is welded over...

oh now you tell us ;)

so just the :-

"Do not use on radiators with vertical tapping - e.g. towel radiators."

that you got wrong then ;)

still easily corrected.

Cheers
Jim K