Posted to uk.d-i-y
srt srt is offline

Default Electrical wiring query.

Hi,
As in header - - I am currently in the process of tidying up some wiring and
plugs in my garage.
I am replacing an old metal 4 plug socket block and want to fit two new 2
plug metal boxes like these or the cheaper version from screwfix:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...=null&ts=47795

I have a 25mm conduit coming down the wall to the place I am fitting the
boxes and i would appreciate it if somebody could advise what bits I need to
connect the 2 boxes together with and also to the 25mm conduit.
I have looked over the screwfix site and just get a bit confused with the
parts I need - -I was thinking of the galvanised coupler or some sutch?
Thanks.
ps. Hope the link works.
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

srt
wibbled on Friday 18 June 2010 09:06

Hi,
As in header - - I am currently in the process of tidying up some wiring
and plugs in my garage.
I am replacing an old metal 4 plug socket block and want to fit two new 2
plug metal boxes like these or the cheaper version from screwfix:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...=null&ts=47795

I have a 25mm conduit coming down the wall to the place I am fitting the
boxes and i would appreciate it if somebody could advise what bits I need
to connect the 2 boxes together with and also to the 25mm conduit.
I have looked over the screwfix site and just get a bit confused with the
parts I need - -I was thinking of the galvanised coupler or some sutch?
Thanks.
ps. Hope the link works.
Stuart.

Hi,

Those boxes take 20mm, so you will need:

Male *or* female conduit adaptor (I prefer the female) per knockout used:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MT20FMA.html

20-25 reducer:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products...25slash20.html

Clips (first are good, 2nd is more ubiquitous)

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MT20SAD.html
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BG20SAD.html

And some 20mm conduit between boxes.

HTH

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y
srt srt is offline

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

Tim,
Many thanks for your speedy reply.
Great help,
Cheers.
Stuart.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 09:06:24 +0100 someone who may be "srt"
wrote this:-

I have a 25mm conduit coming down the wall

Presumably it is made of plastic?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54
Posted to uk.d-i-y
srt srt is offline

wrote this:-

I have a 25mm conduit coming down the wall

Presumably it is made of plastic?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54

Hi David,
yes it is - -forgot mention that - -I was just thinking metal conduit
between boxes but i see its prly not that important.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

srt
wibbled on Friday 18 June 2010 10:04

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

Oh - and although you can do without it for a dry install, I prefer to
solvent weld the joints.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
srt wrote:
Hi, As in header - - I am currently in the process of tidying up some
wiring and plugs in my garage. I am replacing an old metal 4 plug
socket block and want to fit two new 2 plug metal boxes like these or
the cheaper version from screwfix:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...=null&ts=47795

I have a 25mm conduit coming down the wall to the place I am fitting the
boxes and i would appreciate it if somebody could advise what bits I
need to connect the 2 boxes together with and also to the 25mm conduit.
I have looked over the screwfix site and just get a bit confused with
the parts I need - -I was thinking of the galvanised coupler or some
sutch? Thanks. ps. Hope the link works. Stuart.

Do you know how old the conduit is? Because it's unusual these days in a
domestic setting - plastic being more common. And old conduit could be
imperial rather than metric.

To join the two boxes you want a coupler and male brass bushes - usually
20 mm. This page shows them:-

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ngs/index.html

Note you still need to run an ECC to both sockets - the conduit should
just be regarded as protection against damage.

--
*A hangover is the wrath of grapes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
writes
In article ,
srt wrote:
Hi, As in header - - I am currently in the process of tidying up some
wiring and plugs in my garage. I am replacing an old metal 4 plug
socket block and want to fit two new 2 plug metal boxes like these or
the cheaper version from screwfix:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...id=S5L0XBEBR25

CYCSTHZOCFEY?productId=49437&imageNo=null&ts=4779 5

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...onduit_Fitting
s/index.html

Note you still need to run an ECC to both sockets - the conduit should
just be regarded as protection against damage.

Coupler he

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...l_2/index.html

--
fred

Wiring query cerberus[_2_] UK diy 18 September 30th 07 06:37 PM
Electrical lead query Syke UK diy 3 September 19th 06 03:07 PM
Electrical query David Bennett UK diy 5 September 9th 05 08:03 PM
Electrical trunking query Mark Walters UK diy 6 May 5th 05 06:28 PM
Electrical e-wiring query Jethro UK diy 14 September 17th 04 12:21 AM