Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiring query

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 08:36:10 -0700, "cerberus"
wrote:

I'm in the process of wiring some some new ceiling light fittings & have
found the following configuration;

(a) = 3 reds twisted together

(b) = 2 Blacks twisted together

(c) = 1 black (marked with red tape

(d) = Earth

I assume that (b) is the 'loop termination' & only (a) (c) & (d) are used in
the fitting?

No. The three reds "twisted" together will be live in, live out, and
switch feed. The blacks twisted together will be neutral in and
neutral out.
You therefore want to use (b)(Neutral), (c)(Switched Live) and of
course (d)Earth.

HTH -

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm in the process of wiring some some new ceiling light fittings & have
found the following configuration;

(a) = 3 reds twisted together

(b) = 2 Blacks twisted together

(c) = 1 black (marked with red tape

(d) = Earth

I assume that (b) is the 'loop termination' & only (a) (c) & (d) are used in
the fitting?

Don.

No. The two blacks and the red tagged black, or switched live.

The three reds are just a live common point.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , cerberus

http://www.diydata.com/planning/electric_lights/electric_lights.php

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'm in the process of wiring some some new ceiling light fittings &
have found the following configuration;

(a) = 3 reds twisted together

(b) = 2 Blacks twisted together

(c) = 1 black (marked with red tape

(d) = Earth

I assume that (b) is the 'loop termination' & only (a) (c) & (d)
are used in
the fitting?

Don.

No. The two blacks and the red tagged black, or switched live.

The three reds are just a live common point.

Andy

Cheers Frank & Andy.

The adage 'measure twice cut once' springs to mind ;-)

Don't tell too many people - changing light fittings is good business!
SWMBO buys new light fitting, husband unscrews ceiling rose, sees all those
wire & panics!

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"cerberus" wrote in message
. uk...
I'm in the process of wiring some some new ceiling light fittings & have
found the following configuration;

Your clocks wrong on your PC
hth
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 10:52:38 UTC, "Vass"
wrote:

"cerberus" wrote in message
. uk...
I'm in the process of wiring some some new ceiling light fittings & have
found the following configuration;

Your clocks wrong on your PC

His clock is fine. His time zone is wrong.

http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 13:11:38 -0700, "cerberus"
wrote:

"Vass" wrote in message

"cerberus" wrote in message
. uk...
I'm in the process of wiring some some new ceiling light fittings & have
found the following configuration;

Your clocks wrong on your PC
hth
--
Vass

Nope time & date correct, but it is showing everyone else as 11 hrs behind
for some reason?

Don.

Must be us then ! ;-)

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
SJP SJP is offline

"cerberus" wrote in message

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 13:11:38 -0700, "cerberus"

wrote:

"Vass" wrote in message

"cerberus" wrote in message
. uk...
I'm in the process of wiring some some new ceiling light fittings &
have
found the following configuration;

Your clocks wrong on your PC
hth
--
Vass

Nope time & date correct, but it is showing everyone else as 11 hrs
behind
for some reason?

Don.

Must be us then ! ;-)

Andy

Just checked, Bob was spot on. Grandaughter's been twiddling again!

But you've still not corrected it

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

'Her indoors' is a happy bunny now she can play with her new halogens ;-)

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"SJP" wrote in message

"cerberus" wrote in message

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 13:11:38 -0700, "cerberus"

wrote:

"Vass" wrote in message

"cerberus" wrote in message
. uk...
I'm in the process of wiring some some new ceiling light fittings &
have
found the following configuration;

Your clocks wrong on your PC
hth
--
Vass

Nope time & date correct, but it is showing everyone else as 11 hrs
behind
for some reason?

Don.

Must be us then ! ;-)

Andy

Just checked, Bob was spot on. Grandaughter's been twiddling again!

But you've still not corrected it

Oh yes I have.

Don.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 10:53:34 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

wrote:

I'm in the process of wiring some some new ceiling light fittings &
have found the following configuration;

(a) = 3 reds twisted together

(b) = 2 Blacks twisted together

(c) = 1 black (marked with red tape

(d) = Earth

I assume that (b) is the 'loop termination' & only (a) (c) & (d)
are used in
the fitting?

Don.

No. The two blacks and the red tagged black, or switched live.

The three reds are just a live common point.

Andy

Cheers Frank & Andy.

The adage 'measure twice cut once' springs to mind ;-)

Don't tell too many people - changing light fittings is good business!
SWMBO buys new light fitting, husband unscrews ceiling rose, sees all those
wire & panics!

Indeed so. And the variation where husband/'friend'/'someone my mother
knows'/'odd jobs bloke' puts all the reds together, all the blacks, and
connects those to the new fitting....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

LOL... mind you it is nice when attractive housewife considers you to be
a wizard for sorting it out after hubby gave up!

Lighting circuits must cause more confusion than any other electrical
problem for the wannabe diy'er !

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cerberus wrote:
I'm in the process of wiring some some new ceiling light fittings & have
found the following configuration;

(a) = 3 reds twisted together

(b) = 2 Blacks twisted together

(c) = 1 black (marked with red tape

(d) = Earth

I assume that (b) is the 'loop termination' & only (a) (c) & (d) are used in
the fitting?

Don.

Need a wiki article on this, Anyone wantt o move their explanation
there?
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....ecial:Allpages

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Yes. Often you find that people will have a go at lighting but bottle out
on socket replacement due to the higher rating!

Lighting wiring query? EricP UK diy 8 June 27th 07 02:37 PM
Outside lighting wiring query Ben Willcox UK diy 8 September 6th 05 04:11 PM
Electrical e-wiring query Jethro UK diy 14 September 17th 04 12:21 AM
Kitchen wiring query Lobster UK diy 11 June 15th 04 12:53 AM
Bathroom fan wiring query (sorry!) Lobster UK diy 3 May 12th 04 09:29 PM