Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve[_4_] Steve[_4_] is offline

Default Wiring query

Ed Sirett wrote:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 10:53:34 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

cerberus wrote:
"Andy Cap" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 08:36:10 -0700, "cerberus"

wrote:

I'm in the process of wiring some some new ceiling light fittings &
have found the following configuration;

(a) = 3 reds twisted together

(b) = 2 Blacks twisted together

(c) = 1 black (marked with red tape

(d) = Earth

I assume that (b) is the 'loop termination' & only (a) (c) & (d)
are used in
the fitting?

Don.

No. The two blacks and the red tagged black, or switched live.

The three reds are just a live common point.

Andy
Cheers Frank & Andy.

The adage 'measure twice cut once' springs to mind ;-)

Don't tell too many people - changing light fittings is good business!
SWMBO buys new light fitting, husband unscrews ceiling rose, sees all those
wire & panics!

Indeed so. And the variation where husband/'friend'/'someone my mother
knows'/'odd jobs bloke' puts all the reds together, all the blacks, and
connects those to the new fitting....

LOL... mind you it is nice when attractive housewife considers you to be
a wizard for sorting it out after hubby gave up!

Lighting circuits must cause more confusion than any other electrical
problem for the wannabe diy'er !

Steve