Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing cyanoacrylate bloom

An idiot subcontractor decided that instead of using the glue we supplied, it would be quicker to
use cyanoacrylate to fix an internal part on a 1 metre long x 40mm dia custom polycarb LED fixture
tube. All 200 of them...

We now have a very visible patch of white haze in the centre of the inside of the tubes.

I've tried some RS cyano debonder I had to hand, which does appear to make a fairly good job of
removing it, but we will need something resembling a 2 foot long cotton-bud to get to it....

Just wondering if there were any other magic tricks (apart from using low-bloom cyano!), or
particularly good brands of debonder that anyone has found to remove the bloom.... something that
doesn't need wiping off to leave a reasonably transparent finish would be particurlarly good due to
the access issues....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

An idiot subcontractor decided that instead of using the glue we
supplied, it would be quicker to use cyanoacrylate to fix an
internal part on a 1 metre long x 40mm dia custom polycarb LED
fixture tube. All 200 of them...

Ouch...

Just wondering if there were any other magic tricks (apart from
using low-bloom cyano!)

"Can you give me details of your liability insurance please, these
will all need to be replaced using the special glue we provided,
told you about, and you ignored"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Apr, 10:15, Mike Harrison wrote:
An idiot subcontractor decided that instead of using the glue we supplied, *

Make it their problem. They replace or pay for the tubes and contents,
then it gets done again.

I've tried some RS cyano debonder I had to hand, which does appear to make a fairly good job of
removing it, but we will need something resembling a 2 foot long cotton-bud to get to it....

2 foot cotton bud? Probably double ended strings to a swab that's
pulled through.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 00:23:34 +0100, Colin Wilson wrote:

An idiot subcontractor decided that instead of using the glue we
supplied, it would be quicker to use cyanoacrylate to fix an
internal part on a 1 metre long x 40mm dia custom polycarb LED
fixture tube. All 200 of them...

Ouch...

Just wondering if there were any other magic tricks (apart from
using low-bloom cyano!)

"Can you give me details of your liability insurance please, these
will all need to be replaced using the special glue we provided,
told you about, and you ignored"

That's for another day - we discovered the problem on Friday and there's a truck scheduled to pick
them up on Monday to take them to the other side of Europe, and a whole bunch of other logistics
(flights, visas, build facility bookings) dependent on them arriving on time.....
We also don't yet know if the original supplier has stock of replacement material.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 24 Apr, 10:15, Mike Harrison wrote:
An idiot subcontractor decided that instead of using the glue we supplied,

Make it their problem. They replace or pay for the tubes and contents,
then it gets done again.

I've tried some RS cyano debonder I had to hand, which does appear to make a fairly good job of
removing it, but we will need something resembling a 2 foot long cotton-bud to get to it....

2 foot cotton bud? Probably double ended strings to a swab that's
pulled through.

acetone, and pretty much ONLY acetone, apart from custom debonders will
pull CA off.

I cant see the OP, but if you can soak the part in acetone somehow, it
will take off all teh CA.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 24 Apr, 10:15, Mike Harrison wrote:
An idiot subcontractor decided that instead of using the glue we
supplied,

Make it their problem. They replace or pay for the tubes and
contents,
then it gets done again.

I've tried some RS cyano debonder I had to hand, which does appear
to make a fairly good job of
removing it, but we will need something resembling a 2 foot long
cotton-bud to get to it....

2 foot cotton bud? Probably double ended strings to a swab that's
pulled through.

acetone, and pretty much ONLY acetone, apart from custom debonders will
pull CA off.

My only concern with all of this would be, is the cleaning going to
cause more damage than the original bloom? As they say on the adverts,
try it on an inconspicuous area first.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
[...]

the special film inside the tubes is polycarbonate so acetone is not an option...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
[...]

acetone doesnt attack polycarbonate I dont think.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
[...]

From Wikipedia :
Acetone is a good solvent for most plastics and synthetic fibres including those used in laboratory
bottles made of polystyrene, polycarbonate and some types of polypropylene.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Harrison wrote:

acetone doesnt attack polycarbonate I dont think.

From Wikipedia :
Acetone is a good solvent for most plastics and synthetic fibres including
those used in laboratory bottles made of polystyrene, polycarbonate and
some types of polypropylene.

Yebbut TNPs last three words were accurate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
[...]

From Wikipedia :
Acetone is a good solvent for most plastics and synthetic fibres including those used in laboratory
bottles made of polystyrene, polycarbonate and some types of polypropylene.

oh bugger. Cancel that then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
Mike Harrison wrote:

acetone doesnt attack polycarbonate I dont think.

From Wikipedia :
Acetone is a good solvent for most plastics and synthetic fibres including
those used in laboratory bottles made of polystyrene, polycarbonate and
some types of polypropylene.

Yebbut TNPs last three words were accurate.

That is SUCH a useful post, I have decided that you are in the plonk file

Bye.,...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I have decided that you are in the plonk file

What a plonker!