Default Slow cyanoacrylate glue?

Reading about the use of accelerants to harden CA glues
used in woodturning leads me to ask the question, 'How
slow do they cure _without_ the accelerants?"

I was under the impression that CA glues set in a matter
of seconds, are there any with longer 'open cup' times?

Are accelerants use to harden the glue after it has
set, as opposed to making it set in the first place?

--

FF

George

wrote in message
oups.com...
Reading about the use of accelerants to harden CA glues
used in woodturning leads me to ask the question, 'How
slow do they cure _without_ the accelerants?"

I was under the impression that CA glues set in a matter
of seconds, are there any with longer 'open cup' times?

Are accelerants use to harden the glue after it has
set, as opposed to making it set in the first place?

Under the proper set of circumstances, the stuff cures rapidly. However all
is not always optimum, and it sometimes pays to accelerate the setting.
Acid woods are one cause of slow curing that give turners fits. Put the
stuff in the hairline crack, it obligingly disappears, you wait thirty
seconds and flip on the switch. Then notice the hairs on your arm have
become gravity sensitive, because the glue flowed out and was flung onto
your arm. If you stand in front of spinning things, worse can happen.
Better to give a shot of accelerant to make sure. Sometimes you fill a
crack inside, and it comes out anyway

The sell slow glues which are, I would assume for filling more open areas.

Tony Manella

Fred,
The thick CA glues can take several minutes to cure.
Tony Manella

wrote in message
oups.com...
Reading about the use of accelerants to harden CA glues
used in woodturning leads me to ask the question, 'How
slow do they cure _without_ the accelerants?"

I was under the impression that CA glues set in a matter
of seconds, are there any with longer 'open cup' times?

Are accelerants use to harden the glue after it has
set, as opposed to making it set in the first place?

--

FF

Bruce Barnett

See
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=346

Type Bond time (seconds) Special Notes
Secial T 30-50 Gap Filling
Hot Stuff 3-5 Penetrating
Super T 10-25 Small Gap Filling

Are accelerants use to harden the glue after it has
set, as opposed to making it set in the first place?

That's available as well. So you can get something set up, and then
spray it.

Thnaks to you and the others for the information.

Bruce Barnett wrote:
See
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=346

Type Bond time (seconds) Special Notes
Secial T 30-50 Gap Filling
Hot Stuff 3-5 Penetrating
Super T 10-25 Small Gap Filling

Yes, I've checked out the ads for CA glues. Some just say
'slow' without saying how slow, those that say 'slow
and give some indication of time do say 30-50 seconds
to bond, or something like that.

Maybe I'm not very impatient but ISTM that one minute to bond
is _fast_ relative to other thngs in life but evidently that
is about a slow as CA glues get.

Are accelerants use to harden the glue after it has
set, as opposed to making it set in the first place?

That's available as well. So you can get something set up, and then
spray it.

Hmm, that was what I had in mind but ITSTM that typically it would
take longer tha 30-50 seconds to set something up. It would be
very useful to have something that would tack only but not set
for several minutes, until sprayed with the accellerant.

Have you collected yet?

--

FF