George

wrote in message
oups.com...
Reading about the use of accelerants to harden CA glues
used in woodturning leads me to ask the question, 'How
slow do they cure _without_ the accelerants?"

I was under the impression that CA glues set in a matter
of seconds, are there any with longer 'open cup' times?

Are accelerants use to harden the glue after it has
set, as opposed to making it set in the first place?

Under the proper set of circumstances, the stuff cures rapidly. However all
is not always optimum, and it sometimes pays to accelerate the setting.
Acid woods are one cause of slow curing that give turners fits. Put the
stuff in the hairline crack, it obligingly disappears, you wait thirty
seconds and flip on the switch. Then notice the hairs on your arm have
become gravity sensitive, because the glue flowed out and was flung onto
your arm. If you stand in front of spinning things, worse can happen.
Better to give a shot of accelerant to make sure. Sometimes you fill a
crack inside, and it comes out anyway

The sell slow glues which are, I would assume for filling more open areas.