Posted to cam.misc,uk.d-i-y

Default Wall Insulation - more

Plum wrote:
Now that I know all about the grants - for which thanks by the way - I
need to ask another question. Has anyone ever heard of Sempatap
Thermal? It is a sort of foam blanket for internal walls (10mm thick)
with a hard exterior to enable papering or tile hanging or whatever. I
have all manner of info and samples (it is recommended by the Energy
Trust, the Council, etc., has apparently been used for thousands of
houses already) but nowhere can I find an experienced contractor. The
manufacturers could only find one in Derbyshire! It is supposed to be
very easy to apply but the people I have so far approached don't want to
know. Besides, I could use some feedback from anyone who has actually
tried it. I am always most grateful for your advice.

I will cross post the reply to uk.d-i-y as I suspect you will get more
joy there.

This is just one of many products that you can apply to solid walls.

The final U value is about the same as an uninsulated cavity from the
looks of it, so its well worthwhile on a solid wall.

Other possibles are combined celotex/plasterboard composites, that can
be glued straight to the walls.

There is a whiff of bull**** about their website though. The IR 'before
and after' pictures show a remarkable change in heatloss through the
*windows*..Odd that, because they are the same windows in both pictures....

If you are considering insulating a solid walled house, you should
tackle it room by room, unless you are going for an externally applied
insulant.

The problem is to do it properly, you need to strip all the radiators,
and cills in the external wall(s) and build up the insulation, then
retrofit new cills and the radiators.

And of course, redecorate.

Wall Insulation hibb Home Repair 12 March 1st 10 12:57 AM
cavity wall insulation - Eaga Insulation Richard Morley UK diy 7 March 11th 09 10:16 PM
Damp patch 5 feet up wall ( not drying ), older building with mineral wool type Cavity Wall Insulation installed in receny years. ItsMe UK diy 14 July 28th 08 11:42 PM
cavity wall insulation - interior wall ? completed now Pete Cross UK diy 2 May 12th 06 12:40 PM
wall insulation... Christian Home Repair 7 June 10th 05 07:26 AM