Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT] How to transfer data from one computer to another.?

I have a lap top at home and a net book for going on holiday with,
unfortunately the net book does not have a CD Drive so I cannot load in
the user's manual for my recently purchased camera. I can however load
it into the lap top.
How do I transfer the info from one to the other please, can I just
connect from one to the other via their respective usb ports and is
there software available in XP to transfer the data?
Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Donwill" wrote in message
I have a lap top at home and a net book for going on holiday with,
unfortunately the net book does not have a CD Drive so I cannot load in the
user's manual for my recently purchased camera. I can however load it into
the lap top.
How do I transfer the info from one to the other please, can I just
connect from one to the other via their respective usb ports and is there
software available in XP to transfer the data?
Don

Can't you use a Memory Stick as a transfer medium?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:

I have a lap top at home and a net book for going on holiday with,
unfortunately the net book does not have a CD Drive so I cannot load in
the user's manual for my recently purchased camera. I can however load
it into the lap top.
How do I transfer the info from one to the other please, can I just
connect from one to the other via their respective usb ports and is
there software available in XP to transfer the data?

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/248

It can be done, but only using a special bridging cable,
otherwise there is risk of damage.

I would suggest that a USB memory stick is probably the best
solution.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Donwill wrote:

I have a lap top at home and a net book for going on holiday with,
unfortunately the net book does not have a CD Drive so I cannot load in
the user's manual for my recently purchased camera. I can however load
it into the lap top.
How do I transfer the info from one to the other please, can I just
connect from one to the other via their respective usb ports and is
there software available in XP to transfer the data?

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/248

It can be done, but only using a special bridging cable,
otherwise there is risk of damage.

I would suggest that a USB memory stick is probably the best
solution.

Chris

Many thanks, I should have thought of that before.
Problem solved.
Thanks again
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Donwill wrote:
I have a lap top at home and a net book for going on holiday with,
unfortunately the net book does not have a CD Drive so I cannot load in
the user's manual for my recently purchased camera. I can however load
it into the lap top.
How do I transfer the info from one to the other please, can I just
connect from one to the other via their respective usb ports and is
there software available in XP to transfer the data?
Don

Assuming they're not networked, you can buy a USB to USB link (special
cable) with software for not a lot. Do a Google for USB network link.

--
*Generally speaking, you aren't learning much if your lips are moving.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:
I have a lap top at home and a net book for going on holiday with,
unfortunately the net book does not have a CD Drive so I cannot load in
the user's manual for my recently purchased camera. I can however load
it into the lap top.
How do I transfer the info from one to the other please, can I just
connect from one to the other via their respective usb ports and is
there software available in XP to transfer the data?
Don

USB stick is the easiest mate.

copy from one to stick, and from stick to other.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 12/03/2010 09:28, Donwill wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Donwill wrote:

I have a lap top at home and a net book for going on holiday with,
unfortunately the net book does not have a CD Drive so I cannot load
in the user's manual for my recently purchased camera. I can however
load it into the lap top.
How do I transfer the info from one to the other please, can I just
connect from one to the other via their respective usb ports and is
there software available in XP to transfer the data?

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/248

It can be done, but only using a special bridging cable,
otherwise there is risk of damage.

I would suggest that a USB memory stick is probably the best
solution.

Chris

Many thanks, I should have thought of that before.
Problem solved.
Thanks again
Don

Seems like it's too late for this suggestion, but in case of future need
here it is.

My first thought was to go to the manufacturer's website to find if it
is available for download. If so, simply download to whichever
machine(s) you wish. This is particularly sensible as sometimes the
downloadable version is more up-to-date than the one supplied on CD.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 12, 12:21*pm, John Rumm wrote:

Get yourself a IDE/SATA to usb interface adaptor, and then plug an
external CD drive etc into the laptop without one, or even use it to
temporarily mount one machines hard drive on the other.

Got myself a Samsung NC10 netbook cheap as a refurb. Wanted to put XP
on as a fresh install as I didn't know what they had cobbled together.
Tried all sorts of messing around with a USB to external SATA/IDE
adapter (already owned, intended to house a 3.5" HDD) and an internal
IDE DVD-ROM drive. Sometimes it would detect it, sometimes it
wouldn't. XP setup kept blue-screening at the same point (apparently a
common problem on netbooks). Gave up on the CD idea and downloaded a
utility to make a USB stick bootable and put the contents of the XP CD
on there. The initial bit where it dicks around with various SCSI
drivers and "FDD for Toshiba Libretto" (blast from the past!) lasted
about 10 seconds instead of 10 minutes with the CD. IIRC utting XP Pro
on my desktop wasn't that painful.

Everything now either gets downloaded (wireless) or I put things on
USB sticks using my desktop to install them on the netbook.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Donwill" wrote in message
I have a lap top at home and a net book for going on holiday with,
unfortunately the net book does not have a CD Drive so I cannot load in the
user's manual for my recently purchased camera. I can however load it into
the lap top.
How do I transfer the info from one to the other please, can I just
connect from one to the other via their respective usb ports and is there
software available in XP to transfer the data?
Don

Surprised no one mentioned one of these

http://www.islandextra.com/products/...FZlg4wodLT_WUQ

Regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , TMC
scribeth thus

"Donwill" wrote in message
I have a lap top at home and a net book for going on holiday with,
unfortunately the net book does not have a CD Drive so I cannot load in the
user's manual for my recently purchased camera. I can however load it into
the lap top.
How do I transfer the info from one to the other please, can I just
connect from one to the other via their respective usb ports and is there
software available in XP to transfer the data?
Don

Surprised no one mentioned one of these

http://www.islandextra.com/products/...herals/ecdd-a-
external-usb-portable-24x-cd-rom-drive.html?gclid=COz22NqwuqACFZlg4wodLT_WUQ

Regards

I presume that both units have Ethernet ports thereon?.

If so couple of CAT 5 cables and a cheap port or switch more than likely
the ADSL router has a few ports on it, arrange the sharing put both
units in the same workgroup, and switch those folders you want on and
job done...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , TMC
writes

http://www.islandextra.com/products/...peripherals/ec
dd-a-external-usb-portable-24x-cd-rom-drive.html?gclid=COz22NqwuqACFZlg4
wodLT_WUQ

Maybe its because it's a hulking great lump of mechanical scrap compared
with a USB stick which you could prolly get for a fiver

--
geoff