Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Answers on a postcard ...

Following a cloakroom re-fit, I've tried to give away on local
newsgroups 180 blue 6" tiles. No takers. So: what does a d-i-y-er do
with 180 tiles?

(If anyone here wants them I'm in the Cambridge area.)

Douglas de Lacey
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Douglas de Lacey wrote:
Following a cloakroom re-fit, I've tried to give away on local
newsgroups 180 blue 6" tiles. No takers. So: what does a d-i-y-er do
with 180 tiles?

(If anyone here wants them I'm in the Cambridge area.)

Douglas de Lacey

If they are new? can you not take them back to where you purchased them?
If second hand and removed off a wall try ebay. Antique tiles?
Don
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Douglas de Lacey wrote:

Following a cloakroom re-fit, I've tried to give away on local
newsgroups 180 blue 6" tiles. No takers. So: what does a d-i-y-er do
with 180 tiles?

Thats because there are not enough of them to do anything useful with.
I've got at least 15 sq. M of tiles here from various jobs I have done
in the past, thinking that they may come in useful at some time.
They wont, so they have gradually been going to the tip over the last
couple of weeks.
Dump them, they are no use, unless someone wants 4 sq. metres in blue,
which seems to me to be a very small market.

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Douglas de Lacey" wrote in message
Following a cloakroom re-fit, I've tried to give away on local newsgroups
180 blue 6" tiles. No takers. So: what does a d-i-y-er do with 180 tiles?

(If anyone here wants them I'm in the Cambridge area.)

Douglas de Lacey

Freegle: http://www.ilovefreegle.org/

Works a treat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:
Douglas de Lacey wrote:
Following a cloakroom re-fit, I've tried to give away on local
newsgroups 180 blue 6" tiles. No takers. So: what does a d-i-y-er do
with 180 tiles?

(If anyone here wants them I'm in the Cambridge area.)

Douglas de Lacey

If they are new? can you not take them back to where you purchased them?
If second hand and removed off a wall try ebay. Antique tiles?

Sorry for not being clear: they are old, and I accept there aren't
enough for them to figure in a significant retiling exercise. Which is
why I doubt even freegle will find a "buyer". But I thought the
collective wisdom of uk.d-i-y must surely have novel, inventive and
interesting uses for a pack of old tiles?

Douglas de Lacey

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 2, 8:27*am, Douglas de Lacey wrote:
Following a cloakroom re-fit, I've tried to give away on local
newsgroups 180 blue 6" tiles. No takers. So: what does a d-i-y-er do
with 180 tiles?

(If anyone here wants them I'm in the Cambridge area.)

Douglas de Lacey

Tile a table? Or give them to some unemployed person to smash and use
the pieces as a mosaic border. Glue 5 of them together with leftover
tile cement to make a cube, and puzzle people with what its for. There
isnt any real use for them, hence you cant even give them away. You
might use a few as coasters.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2010 12:20 Douglas de Lacey wrote:

But I thought the collective wisdom of uk.d-i-y must surely have novel,
inventive and interesting uses for a pack of old tiles?

Suggestions involving WD40, angle grinders and car body filler will be
along shortly...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
.. .
Douglas de Lacey wrote:

Following a cloakroom re-fit, I've tried to give away on local
newsgroups 180 blue 6" tiles. No takers. So: what does a d-i-y-er do
with 180 tiles?

Thats because there are not enough of them to do anything useful with.
I've got at least 15 sq. M of tiles here from various jobs I have done
in the past, thinking that they may come in useful at some time.
They wont, so they have gradually been going to the tip over the last
couple of weeks.
Dump them, they are no use, unless someone wants 4 sq. metres in blue,
which seems to me to be a very small market.

Alan.

I forget the exact literary reference, but it reminds me of the (fictional)
character who had a jar labelled

"Pieces of string too short to be of any possible use".

I have many such jars and boxes in my workshop, seldom so honestly labelled

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 18:53:54 +0000, newshound wrote:
I forget the exact literary reference, but it reminds me of the
(fictional) character who had a jar labelled

"Pieces of string too short to be of any possible use".

I have many such jars and boxes in my workshop, seldom so honestly
labelled

I like that

I have big junk boxes in the workshop for "stuff that burns", "bits of
metal" and "everything else" - every once in a while I do end up raiding
them for something I know I've thrown in there, but if they end up full
or in the way I'll ditch the contents (the "burn" box has been emptied
into our fire pit a few times)

re. tiles, I found 100-odd stacked away under one of our baths when we
moved, presumably leftovers from some refit or other (they don't match
anything in the house, though). I might use some of them for a backsplash
one day (if I ever get around to fitting a sink in our basement).

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 2, 9:27 pm, Douglas de Lacey wrote:
Following a cloakroom re-fit, I've tried to give away on local
newsgroups 180 blue 6" tiles. No takers. So: what does a d-i-y-er do
with 180 tiles?

Frederick Hundertwasser's toilet used lots of odd tiles:
http://www.pbase.com/philinnz/kawakawa_toilets

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 2, 5:23*pm, F news@nowhere wrote:
On 02/03/2010 12:20 Douglas de Lacey wrote:

But I thought the collective wisdom of uk.d-i-y must surely have novel,
inventive and interesting uses for a pack of old tiles?

Suggestions involving WD40,

There's another thread about that!

angle grinders

Break the tiles into small pieces, by hitting them with it.

and car body filler will be

Stick them down for that nice mosaic finish garden table you always
wanted.

MBQ