Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default Answers on a postcard ...

On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 18:53:54 +0000, newshound wrote:
I forget the exact literary reference, but it reminds me of the
(fictional) character who had a jar labelled

"Pieces of string too short to be of any possible use".

I have many such jars and boxes in my workshop, seldom so honestly
labelled

I like that

I have big junk boxes in the workshop for "stuff that burns", "bits of
metal" and "everything else" - every once in a while I do end up raiding
them for something I know I've thrown in there, but if they end up full
or in the way I'll ditch the contents (the "burn" box has been emptied
into our fire pit a few times)

re. tiles, I found 100-odd stacked away under one of our baths when we
moved, presumably leftovers from some refit or other (they don't match
anything in the house, though). I might use some of them for a backsplash
one day (if I ever get around to fitting a sink in our basement).

cheers

Jules