Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mounting a map to go on the wall

Just bought some nice big maps (some from OS and one from Lidl) and went to
a picture framer to ask how much it would be to have one framed and/or
mounted.

Three figure quote later I am reconsidering my position!

Someone who used to have a picture framing business suggested that one
option would be to glue the map to some hardboard then varnish it.
Nicely DIY :-)

So - any recommendations about glues?

Wallpaper paste is one obvious route.

However when they mount pictures on a card backing they put a sheet of glue
fabric between the picture and the card, then put it into a heated press.

DIY version might be to smooth it gently with a warm iron if I can get a
suitable glue sheet.

I will be consulting my friend Google but any advice gleaned from real world
experience would be most welcome.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Feb, 12:46, "David WE Roberts" wrote:
Just bought some nice big maps (some from OS and one from Lidl)

I have a number of similar things to these (corporate propaganda from
the old office), sat in the workshop stacks and awaiting recycling.
They were made by sandwiching 2mm layers of clear rigid plastic (PVC,
by the look of it) with 2mm rigid white PVC. There's no glue, sealing
or framing involved, just half-a-dozen metal screw clamps around the
edge, which were also used for their suspension wires.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

DIY version might be to smooth it gently with a warm iron if I can get a
suitable glue sheet.

I will be consulting my friend Google but any advice gleaned from real world
experience would be most welcome.

Years ago I did a lot of photographic film processing and mounting of photos
as a hobby. The photos were mounted onto card using a thin heat sensitive film
which was heated with a domestic iron. So I'd suggest making enquiries at a
photographic supplier.

--
Nige Danton
email: swop the obvious for g_m_a_i_l

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nige Danton wrote:
David WE Roberts wrote:

DIY version might be to smooth it gently with a warm iron if I can get a
suitable glue sheet.

I will be consulting my friend Google but any advice gleaned from real world
experience would be most welcome.

Years ago I did a lot of photographic film processing and mounting of photos
as a hobby. The photos were mounted onto card using a thin heat sensitive film
which was heated with a domestic iron. So I'd suggest making enquiries at a
photographic supplier.

Something like this?

http://www.silverprint.co.uk/Product...p.asp?PrGrp=65
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
[...]

Found this:

http://www.euroffice.co.uk/i/4k8/3M-...0ml-Ref-pmount

Just doesn't seem to give a figure for coverage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 12:46:49 -0000
"David WE Roberts" wrote:

[...]

I have just been making some Icons (Orthodox Church, not Windows). I
used 3M Photo mount in an aerosol - mine is 15 years old - but e.g.

http://bit.ly/cTodAc

But it works a treat for paper to plywood.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , David WE Roberts
writes

http://www.euroffice.co.uk/i/4k8/3M-...0ml-Ref-pmount

Just doesn't seem to give a figure for coverage.

You don't need much, just a light spray. I've used the other 3M product
Spraymount which stays repositional but I've found it fine for long term
holding. No problem with wrinkling, just smooth out by hand while
applying, remove and reposition if it goes wrong. Not sure how the
adhesive would respond to solvents in any varnish overcoat though.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 15:19:18 +0000, fred wrote:

You don't need much, just a light spray. I've used the other 3M product
Spraymount which stays repositional but I've found it fine for long term
holding.

The blue 3M Spraymount allows repositioning and tends to come unstuck
after a few years. The red 3M Spraymount does not allow repositioning
but gives a permanent fix.

You need to go to a craft or art supplies shop for the red stuff,
whereas the blue stuff is far more widely available.

Back to the maps; I would use red Spraymount to stick them to
foamboard. That's a rigid plastic board that is widely used for this
exact purpose in exhibitions and displays.

It is available from good art shops.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote:

[...]

R.- Hide quoted text -

BTW we used some of that, probably equally old, 3M in a spray can
recently and it stuck some white styrofoam to plywood like the
dickens. Why not experiment with that on something not critical. But
getting paper etc. on smoothly first time will probably be critical?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 04:58:44 -0800 (PST), Andy Dingley
wrote:

There's no glue, sealing
or framing involved, just half-a-dozen metal screw clamps around the
edge, which were also used for their suspension wires.

Cheapo DIY version ist use small binder clips. Also availabe in silver...

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Three_binder_clips.jpg

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

what about 3M Spray Mount ... made exactly for the job of mounting photos
etc onto card.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TheOldFellow" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 12:46:49 -0000
"David WE Roberts" wrote:

I have some parchments .. that I would like to fix with just a glass in
front, no frame a.. and about 2" of clear galss boreder all round.

...... any ideas on neat clips to do this ... mirror fixings no good a they
show through the glass

The shop that had them on display used fols back clips .... but they look
tatty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Rick Hughes
writes

"David WE Roberts" wrote:

I have some parchments .. that I would like to fix with just a glass in
front, no frame a.. and about 2" of clear galss boreder all round.

..... any ideas on neat clips to do this ... mirror fixings no good a
they show through the glass

Metallised foil border ?

--
geoff

Floor mounting Wall mounting Boiler (Combi) John UK diy 9 May 7th 09 08:06 PM
Wall Mounting Help Bill Davis Jr Home Repair 10 January 9th 06 09:36 PM
Wall mounting lcd tv [email protected] UK diy 6 November 9th 05 05:28 PM
wall Mounting an LCD Bouffont UK diy 16 May 20th 05 09:29 PM
How much weight can a wall support (mounting a cabinet on a wall) Mannanan MacLir Woodworking 46 November 27th 03 02:21 AM