Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Davis Jr

Default Wall Mounting Help

I have been asked to mount a set of speakers to a wall. Where they
will be positioned I am told they can not be mounted to a stud. But
the downside is the wall is plaster and lathe.

The speakers weigh 15 lbs. each. My question can these be mounted?

I have already been told, no shelf system or floor standing. Here is a
link I was given to what would be used:
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/750059078

Thanks,

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Bill Davis Jr" wrote in message
I have been asked to mount a set of speakers to a wall. Where they
will be positioned I am told they can not be mounted to a stud. But
the downside is the wall is plaster and lathe.

The speakers weigh 15 lbs. each. My question can these be mounted?

I have already been told, no shelf system or floor standing. Here is a
link I was given to what would be used:
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/750059078

Sometimes the smart thing to do is just walk away from a job. It may work,
with a good anchor, it may not. They are pretty hefty and the bracket does
not seem to leave a lot of options for mounting. As the speaker gets further
away from the wall, leverage becomes a factor and these brackets don't help
with that.

If you could mount a piece of wood say 6" wide and 12" tall, then mount this
bracket on top, you'd have a much better chance of it holding. That way,
you could use four Molly bolts and spread the load across the wall.

Best is to either walk away, or have them agree, no stud mount, no speaker
mount.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

Is this metal lath, wood lath, or gyp lath? I would be worried
about the installation also. Toggles have the strength, but that
looks like a lot of leverage on the wall.

Ask if it would be acceptable to make a decorative medallion
behind each speaker. I have made some from 3/4" MDF and ply.
Circles and octagons are easy, run a router around the edges,
sand, prime, and paint. They can be painted wall color or speaker
color. These need to be large enough to get to the studs for good
fastening and provide great fastening for the speaker brackets.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Bill Davis Jr" wrote in message
I have been asked to mount a set of speakers to a wall. Where
they
will be positioned I am told they can not be mounted to a stud.
But
the downside is the wall is plaster and lathe.

The speakers weigh 15 lbs. each. My question can these be
mounted?

I have already been told, no shelf system or floor standing.
Here is a
link I was given to what would be used:
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/750059078

Thanks,

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair
BobK207

Bill-

BTDT..............heavy speakers, drywall wall, no studs to mount to.

Used the MDF "adapter plate method" & a heavy duty speaker mount by
Omni-Mount

OmniMount is the mfr of very heavy duty audio & video mounts

check out

http://www.omnimountpro.com/om.asp

they have a wide variety of mount styles that can handle wide range of
speaker weights.

wall or ceiling mount

IMO plaster w/ metal (or wood lath) can deliver fairly high loads; I
would suggest the use of either SMS screws directly inot the wall (if
wood lath) or molly bolts (not the toggle style), the "epanding cage"
style if metal or gypboard lath

A 15 lb speaker is not all that heavy;
the ratio of the wall to speaker cg distance and the adapter plate
screw center distance will give you an idea of the "force multiplier"
that the screws must resist. Worst case I'd figure 3x. If you get a
4 screw pattern that means your top screws need to deliver about 23 lbs
each in pullout.

www.mcmaster.com
catalog number: 97102A517
Drill Style Hollow-Wall Anchor
10-24 Screw Size, 2-3/8" Length

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

A lot depends on the quality, strength, and age of the lath & plaster. I
have a house which has plaster reinforced with real horse hair. It's so old
that if you tried to attach anything like that, half the wall would fall
down. Like Dan said, toggle bolts would be your best bet.

A lot also depends on who asked you to do the work. If it's for free, tell
them you can do it, but you won't guarantee it will work. If it's for
someone you never met, and they are paying you, they've already indicated
they could be a PITA by putting restrictions on how to do the work. In which
case, I agree with Ed that sometimes it's just best to politely decline the
work.

"Bill Davis Jr" wrote in message
I have been asked to mount a set of speakers to a wall. Where they
will be positioned I am told they can not be mounted to a stud. But
the downside is the wall is plaster and lathe.

The speakers weigh 15 lbs. each. My question can these be mounted?

I have already been told, no shelf system or floor standing. Here is a
link I was given to what would be used:
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/750059078

Thanks,

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair
Levon

you can do it...just use toggle bolts..
use a 2" L bracket... (2 of them on top 2 on bottom)
it's pretty hard to miss a lathe, if you do, slide up or down 1/4 "

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

Some old lathe was simply tacked onto the studs with short brads. If the
house is 100 to 200 years old, and the studs have dried out, half the wall
can come down.

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Levon

walah! why didn't i think of this!

why not put speaker on wall where it will hang...
pencil in a square around it...(real lite like)

then...put 2 x 4 frame inside the sqaure...
or 1x2, or 2x2 etc...frame inside the square
load the frame up with screws...oh yeah...
now you have a very good source to fasten speaker to

turn L bracket upside down like, 7 hang on the frame
put screws in

"Bob" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

this link takes me to a $44.99 bracket that itself can hold up to 44
lbs and is fully adjustable. with all that adjustability i don't see a
positioning problem. maybe you do.
vertical wooden studs are probably either 16" or 24" apart. knock and
listed horizontally across the wall to find them if you don't have a
studfinder. drill small pilot holes to confirm their locations. install
brackets with some 2-1/2" deck screws or pilot holes and lag bolts into
the wood.
unless the customer must have them in some inconvenient spot between
the studs. perhaps find some decorative 3/4" x ?" x 24" wood pieces to
span the studs. speaker vibration will try to loosen a less sturdy
mounting.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Davis Jr

Thanks all.

It was also suggested that I could used a fastener called Walldriller
(Zinc) with a #8 screw.

Wall Mounting a Plasma Screen JohnB UK diy 6 June 9th 05 03:02 PM
Wall mounting cabinet hardware, question? To cleat or not to? .HMFIC@1369 Woodworking 11 May 15th 05 05:50 PM
mounting kitchen cabinet on stone wall Jack Home Repair 2 May 8th 05 05:05 AM
Wall falling down? Alex UK diy 8 August 29th 03 10:54 AM
Concrete retaining wall issue revisited. Pat Keith Home Repair 14 August 20th 03 09:35 PM