Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Wall Mounting Help

"Bill Davis Jr" wrote in message
I have been asked to mount a set of speakers to a wall. Where they
will be positioned I am told they can not be mounted to a stud. But
the downside is the wall is plaster and lathe.

The speakers weigh 15 lbs. each. My question can these be mounted?

I have already been told, no shelf system or floor standing. Here is a
link I was given to what would be used:
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/750059078

Sometimes the smart thing to do is just walk away from a job. It may work,
with a good anchor, it may not. They are pretty hefty and the bracket does
not seem to leave a lot of options for mounting. As the speaker gets further
away from the wall, leverage becomes a factor and these brackets don't help
with that.

If you could mount a piece of wood say 6" wide and 12" tall, then mount this
bracket on top, you'd have a much better chance of it holding. That way,
you could use four Molly bolts and spread the load across the wall.

Best is to either walk away, or have them agree, no stud mount, no speaker
mount.