Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Food safe plastic tubing?

Need to create a long drinking straw for a disabled friend, 3 feet or
so. He's currently using a tube from a piece of medical equipment, but
it's not designed for drinking thru, and has a strong plastic taste -
probably all sorts of nasty chemicals leeching into the water.

Its only for cold water, but needs to be flexible. A decent length
that we can snip 3ft pieces off would be ideal.

Anyone know of any sources? TIA.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 21:09:16 +0000, Simon C. . wrote:

Need to create a long drinking straw for a disabled friend, 3 feet or
so. He's currently using a tube from a piece of medical equipment, but
it's not designed for drinking thru, and has a strong plastic taste -
probably all sorts of nasty chemicals leeching into the water.

Its only for cold water, but needs to be flexible. A decent length
that we can snip 3ft pieces off would be ideal.

Anyone know of any sources? TIA.

Have you thought of contacting an organisation that supports folk with
disabilities as they are bound to have come across this problem
before .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 21:19:03 +0000, Usenet Nutter
wrote:

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 21:09:16 +0000, Simon C. . wrote:

Anyone know of any sources? TIA.

Have you thought of contacting an organisation that supports folk with
disabilities as they are bound to have come across this problem
before .

I confess I haven't, but good idea. But in the meantime suggestions
still welcome.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/10 21:09, Simon C. wrote:
Need to create a long drinking straw for a disabled friend, 3 feet or
so. He's currently using a tube from a piece of medical equipment, but
it's not designed for drinking thru, and has a strong plastic taste -
probably all sorts of nasty chemicals leeching into the water.

Its only for cold water, but needs to be flexible. A decent length
that we can snip 3ft pieces off would be ideal.

Try a supplier of home-brewing kit.

--
Bernard Peek
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Simon C. Simon C. wrote:

Its only for cold water, but needs to be flexible. A decent length
that we can snip 3ft pieces off would be ideal.

Boots used to sell something that might do - sold as part of their wine
making kit and it was used for syphoning wine into bottles.

I'm not sure boots still do winemaking gear, but other places must (no
pun intended). Might be a bit big - but would certainly be food safe.
Try Wilkinsons or similar?

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bernard Peek" wrote in message
On 23/01/10 21:09, Simon C. wrote:
Need to create a long drinking straw for a disabled friend, 3 feet or
so. He's currently using a tube from a piece of medical equipment, but
it's not designed for drinking thru, and has a strong plastic taste -
probably all sorts of nasty chemicals leeching into the water.

Its only for cold water, but needs to be flexible. A decent length
that we can snip 3ft pieces off would be ideal.

Try a supplier of home-brewing kit.

--
Bernard Peek

Google he say

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/...Equipment.html

http://shop1.actinicexpress.co.uk/sh...t=Plastic_Tube

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 21:19:03 +0000, Usenet Nutter
wrote:

Anyone know of any sources?

You might find a few ideas for drinking devices at
www.remapedia.org.uk.

Home brew shops are a good source of wider bore tubing but it isn't
particularly flexible. The tubing used in a number of bits of medical
apparatus such as drip sets is more than food safe and usually much
more flexible than PVC.

--
Peter Parry
www.remapsherts.org.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 21:09:16 +0000, Simon C. . said:

Need to create a long drinking straw for a disabled friend, 3 feet or
so. He's currently using a tube from a piece of medical equipment, but
it's not designed for drinking thru, and has a strong plastic taste -
probably all sorts of nasty chemicals leeching into the water.

Its only for cold water, but needs to be flexible. A decent length
that we can snip 3ft pieces off would be ideal.

Anyone know of any sources? TIA.

At work we use silicone tubing a lot. It's inert and flexible. We
normally buy from http://www.sciglass.co.uk/, but a quick google
suggests that aquarium suppliers sell it too.

--
Alan J. Wylie http://www.wylie.me.uk/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Alan J. Wylie
writes
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 21:09:16 +0000, Simon C. . said:

Need to create a long drinking straw for a disabled friend, 3 feet or
so. He's currently using a tube from a piece of medical equipment, but
it's not designed for drinking thru, and has a strong plastic taste -
probably all sorts of nasty chemicals leeching into the water.

Its only for cold water, but needs to be flexible. A decent length
that we can snip 3ft pieces off would be ideal.

Anyone know of any sources? TIA.

At work we use silicone tubing a lot. It's inert and flexible. We
normally buy from http://www.sciglass.co.uk/, but a quick google
suggests that aquarium suppliers sell it too.

Yeah, that's what I was going to suggest

which reminds me - anyone know a good source for 2.5 or 3mm diameter
nylon cord ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 21:09:16 +0000, Simon C. . wrote:

Need to create a long drinking straw for a disabled friend, 3 feet or
so. He's currently using a tube from a piece of medical equipment, but
it's not designed for drinking thru, and has a strong plastic taste -
probably all sorts of nasty chemicals leeching into the water.

Its only for cold water, but needs to be flexible. A decent length
that we can snip 3ft pieces off would be ideal.

Anyone know of any sources? TIA.

An outdoor activities shop will be able to supply a hydration system
intended for climbers, hikers and so on.
I believe that some of these systems can incorporate a pump to reduce
the suction needed to get a drink. Three feet (if that's more or less
vertical) would need quite a sucking force.

HTH -

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon C. wrote:
Need to create a long drinking straw for a disabled friend, 3 feet or
so. He's currently using a tube from a piece of medical equipment, but
it's not designed for drinking thru, and has a strong plastic taste -
probably all sorts of nasty chemicals leeching into the water.

Its only for cold water, but needs to be flexible. A decent length
that we can snip 3ft pieces off would be ideal.

Anyone know of any sources? TIA.

I cant think of a plastic that's UN-safe, so its really a matter of
'taste' :-)

and rigidity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:19:23 +0000, geoff wrote:

which reminds me - anyone know a good source for 2.5 or 3mm diameter
nylon cord ?

My local (non-chain) has cord in 2, 3 and 4mm; also has elasticated cord. I
use it for boot laces and other things. Needs the ends burning else it
unravels.
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Alan J. Wylie
writes
[...]

Para cord from any outdoors shop

e.g.
http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/sh...-a-524329.html

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , PeterC
writes
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:19:23 +0000, geoff wrote:

which reminds me - anyone know a good source for 2.5 or 3mm diameter
nylon cord ?

My local (non-chain) has cord in 2, 3 and 4mm; also has elasticated cord. I
use it for boot laces and other things. Needs the ends burning else it
unravels.

Mine did before it shut down a few years ago

Homebase - £1.99 / metre ... FRO !

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , TMC
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Alan J. Wylie
writes
[...]

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/sh...s/survival-acc
essories/100-metres-of-para-cord-on-a-524329.html

That's a better price - however wrong colour for the red curtains

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember geoff saying
something like:

which reminds me - anyone know a good source for 2.5 or 3mm diameter
nylon cord ?

Venetian blind refurbishers.
You can get it in 100m /500m rolls (like they do), but I'm buggered if I
recall any names of suppliers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 13:00:21 +0000, geoff wrote:

Para cord from any outdoors shop

e.g.
http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/sh...s/survival-acc
essories/100-metres-of-para-cord-on-a-524329.html

That's a better price - however wrong colour for the red curtains

Yuo'd also need them to have one hell of a drop to justify para cord!
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many many thanks for the suggestions chaps. I'll try the local home
brew shop.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan J. Wylie" wrote in message

At work we use silicone tubing a lot. It's inert and flexible. We
normally buy from http://www.sciglass.co.uk/, but a quick google
suggests that aquarium suppliers sell it too.

I also intended to suggest that.. however it is very soft and may collapse
under vacuum.
The ordinary stuff isn't very flexible when cold.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon C." . wrote in message
Need to create a long drinking straw for a disabled friend, 3 feet or
so. He's currently using a tube from a piece of medical equipment, but
it's not designed for drinking thru, and has a strong plastic taste -
probably all sorts of nasty chemicals leeching into the water.

Its only for cold water, but needs to be flexible. A decent length
that we can snip 3ft pieces off would be ideal.

Anyone know of any sources? TIA.

Have you considered a complete solution such as the Camelback drinking
systems used by athletes and hikers?

These have a reservoir of drink, a flexible plastic tube, and a mouth piece
which can be bitten to open the flow of liquid.
The reservoir/bladder can be positioned so that gravity can assist the flow
of liquid if this is desirable.
Food safe and designed to be easily cleaned.
The plastic bits (which fit inside many backpacks) are available at most
outdoor shops.

HTH

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 18:23:21 -0000, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

"Simon C." . wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I suggested that the other day!

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"Simon C." . wrote in message
[...]

Also, any wine making section in your local Wilkinson's will have plastic
tubing, though not usually the squashy kind used in medical pumps. You
could ask his doctor for some if you want the genuine article.

food safe woods Andy.Smalley Woodturning 6 February 10th 08 03:21 PM
Feed-n-wax food safe??? massmans Woodturning 2 February 17th 07 10:14 PM
Food safe high temperature plastic adhesive wanted. Rembrandt Kuipers UK diy 13 August 27th 05 11:57 AM
Food safe woods Chris Nail Woodworking 7 January 6th 05 11:37 AM
Food-safe plastic thread lubricant? Bert Hyman Home Ownership 3 July 21st 03 01:43 AM