Rembrandt Kuipers

Default Food safe high temperature plastic adhesive wanted.

The handle to the lid of our steamer has broken off. The contact area is
a narrow rim along a 12cm by 8cm oval. It is made out of plastic.

Does anyone have any pointers on what sort of adhesive would be
appropriate? It needs to withstand high temperatures (up to 100 degrees
Celsius) and should be non-toxic (food safe). You should be able get it
wet and stick it into the dishwater too.

Removing the lid with no handle on it tends to lead to scalding...

Thanks in advance,
Rem
Colin Wilson

Removing the lid with no handle on it tends to lead to scalding...

They`re usually less than =A320 - i`d be tempted to ditch it and just get=
=20
another... After all, steam burns can be horribly painful...

I had to have my hand in a bowl of water for 3 days after getting one a=20
while ago - 2-3 seconds out of the water and i`d be in agony again.
Tim Morley

"Rembrandt Kuipers" wrote in message
The handle to the lid of our steamer has broken off. The contact area is a
narrow rim along a 12cm by 8cm oval. It is made out of plastic.

Does anyone have any pointers on what sort of adhesive would be
appropriate? It needs to withstand high temperatures (up to 100 degrees
Celsius) and should be non-toxic (food safe). You should be able get it
wet and stick it into the dishwater too.

Removing the lid with no handle on it tends to lead to scalding...

Thanks in advance,
Rem

Is it a tefal by any chance?

Rembrandt Kuipers

Tim Morley wrote:
"Rembrandt Kuipers" wrote in message

The handle to the lid of our steamer has broken off. The contact area is a
narrow rim along a 12cm by 8cm oval. It is made out of plastic.

Does anyone have any pointers on what sort of adhesive would be
appropriate? It needs to withstand high temperatures (up to 100 degrees
Celsius) and should be non-toxic (food safe). You should be able get it
wet and stick it into the dishwater too.

Removing the lid with no handle on it tends to lead to scalding...

Thanks in advance,
Rem

Is it a tefal by any chance?

Indeed it is. A Tefal 1000cl three tier Steam Cuisine turbo diffusion,
it is the easy store variety. Do you have the same problem?

Rem
Rembrandt Kuipers

Colin Wilson wrote:
Removing the lid with no handle on it tends to lead to scalding...

They`re usually less than £20 - i`d be tempted to ditch it and just get
another... After all, steam burns can be horribly painful...

I have found one 3 tier one for 19.99. Worth considering. But it should
be so easy to fix...

I had to have my hand in a bowl of water for 3 days after getting one a
while ago - 2-3 seconds out of the water and i`d be in agony again.

Ouch.

Rem

Tim Morley

Tim Morley wrote:
"Rembrandt Kuipers" wrote in message

The handle to the lid of our steamer has broken off. The contact area is
a narrow rim along a 12cm by 8cm oval. It is made out of plastic.

Does anyone have any pointers on what sort of adhesive would be
appropriate? It needs to withstand high temperatures (up to 100 degrees
Celsius) and should be non-toxic (food safe). You should be able get it
wet and stick it into the dishwater too.

Removing the lid with no handle on it tends to lead to scalding...

Thanks in advance,
Rem

Is it a tefal by any chance?

Indeed it is. A Tefal 1000cl three tier Steam Cuisine turbo diffusion, it
is the easy store variety. Do you have the same problem?

Rem

Sure do!

Hmm, have you already replaced the green trays because the catches have
broken and don't locate properly?

Rembrandt Kuipers

Tim Morley wrote:

Is it a tefal by any chance?

Indeed it is. A Tefal 1000cl three tier Steam Cuisine turbo diffusion, it
is the easy store variety. Do you have the same problem?

Sure do!

Hmm, have you already replaced the green trays because the catches have
broken and don't locate properly?

The catches break, we can live with that. Eventually each try breaks in
half - we are onto our second steamer for this reason (although the old
one has been passed on and is still in use). Our new trays are still
intact, but I can see the cracks starting to appear.

With the last steamer I did actually try gluing the trays... another
reason to find some glue that works. The useless handle makes good spare
reinforcing material for this, but I need the glue.

I am reading that correctly - do you know how to get spares?

Rem
Paul King

In ,
Rembrandt Kuipers struck the keyboard in a random fashion
and came up with:
The handle to the lid of our steamer has broken off. The contact area
is a narrow rim along a 12cm by 8cm oval. It is made out of plastic.

Does anyone have any pointers on what sort of adhesive would be
appropriate? It needs to withstand high temperatures (up to 100
degrees Celsius) and should be non-toxic (food safe). You should be
able get it wet and stick it into the dishwater too.

Removing the lid with no handle on it tends to lead to scalding...

Go to a Car Accessory shop (probably NOT Halfords) and ask for JB Weld. Good
to 600 deg C. Its a 2part epoxy (similar to Araldite) which is non-toxic
when cured.

Ian Stirling

Paul King wrote:
In ,
Rembrandt Kuipers struck the keyboard in a random fashion
and came up with:
The handle to the lid of our steamer has broken off. The contact area
is a narrow rim along a 12cm by 8cm oval. It is made out of plastic.

Does anyone have any pointers on what sort of adhesive would be
appropriate? It needs to withstand high temperatures (up to 100

snip
Go to a Car Accessory shop (probably NOT Halfords) and ask for JB Weld. Good
to 600 deg C. Its a 2part epoxy (similar to Araldite) which is non-toxic
when cured.

I think you may mean F, though even that seems high.
Paul King

In ,
Ian Stirling struck the keyboard in a random
fashion and came up with:

I think you may mean F, though even that seems high.

My mistake - I was working from (a failing) memory As it states here
http://www.jbweld.co.uk/files/prodb.html under Features and Benefits
(section C) it's good to 300 deg C

Rembrandt Kuipers

Paul King wrote:
My mistake - I was working from (a failing) memory As it states here
http://www.jbweld.co.uk/files/prodb.html under Features and Benefits
(section C) it's good to 300 deg C

This looks exactly like what I need. I have purchased some and it looks
like excellent glue to know about and have handy. Thanks!

Rem
Tim Morley

Paul King wrote:
My mistake - I was working from (a failing) memory As it states here
http://www.jbweld.co.uk/files/prodb.html under Features and Benefits
(section C) it's good to 300 deg C

This looks exactly like what I need. I have purchased some and it looks
like excellent glue to know about and have handy. Thanks!

Rem

Just spotted this Ill do the same!

rjs

Paul King wrote:

Go to a Car Accessory shop (probably NOT Halfords) and ask for JB Weld. Good
to 600 deg C. Its a 2part epoxy (similar to Araldite) which is non-toxic
when cured.

Halfords does sell JB Weld - at least they do in Sevenoaks!
--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM
rjs

Tim Morley wrote:

Is it a tefal by any chance?

Interesting. We were given one of these dreadful space
wasting-inventions. I thought I must be using it wrong as it shed
various little bits of green plastic each time I used it (i.e. when the
giver visited us). Glad to know that I'm not alone!

Richard

--
Real email address is RJSavage at BIGFOOT dot COM