Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT. SS non-stick saucepans

We like stainless steel non-stick saucepans.

In the past I have had non-stick saucepans that lasted for years. Last 2
sets have started giving up after about 30 months each.

Anyone know of any that do last?

Experience of lifetime guarantees is that they are worthless.
Manufacturers claim anything similar is a vast upgrade and ask for more
for the upgrade than you can buy them for elsewhere.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:
We like stainless steel non-stick saucepans.

In the past I have had non-stick saucepans that lasted for years. Last 2
sets have started giving up after about 30 months each.

Anyone know of any that do last?

Experience of lifetime guarantees is that they are worthless.
Manufacturers claim anything similar is a vast upgrade and ask for more
for the upgrade than you can buy them for elsewhere.

Ive never had a non stick cooking utensil that lasted more than a year
with its non stick intact.

These days we run pure stainless and use stainless scrubbing pads to
clean them.

even when frying: there non stick is more a question of pre heeating the
pan and using the right oil..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 21:53:30 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Invisible Man wrote:
We like stainless steel non-stick saucepans.

In the past I have had non-stick saucepans that lasted for years. Last 2
sets have started giving up after about 30 months each.

Anyone know of any that do last?

Experience of lifetime guarantees is that they are worthless.
Manufacturers claim anything similar is a vast upgrade and ask for more
for the upgrade than you can buy them for elsewhere.

Ive never had a non stick cooking utensil that lasted more than a year
with its non stick intact.

These days we run pure stainless and use stainless scrubbing pads to
clean them.

even when frying: there non stick is more a question of pre heeating the
pan and using the right oil..

Pro kitchens don't use non-stick do they ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Invisible Man wrote:
We like stainless steel non-stick saucepans.

In the past I have had non-stick saucepans that lasted for years. Last 2
sets have started giving up after about 30 months each.

Anyone know of any that do last?

Experience of lifetime guarantees is that they are worthless.
Manufacturers claim anything similar is a vast upgrade and ask for more
for the upgrade than you can buy them for elsewhere.

Ive never had a non stick cooking utensil that lasted more than a year
with its non stick intact.

These days we run pure stainless and use stainless scrubbing pads to
clean them.

even when frying: there non stick is more a question of pre heeating the
pan and using the right oil..

Pro kitchens don't use non-stick do they ?

Pro kitchens probably don't use supermarket bacon full of salty water
and rusk flour either ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:
We like stainless steel non-stick saucepans.

In the past I have had non-stick saucepans that lasted for years. Last
2 sets have started giving up after about 30 months each.

Anyone know of any that do last?

Experience of lifetime guarantees is that they are worthless.
Manufacturers claim anything similar is a vast upgrade and ask for
more for the upgrade than you can buy them for elsewhere.

Ive never had a non stick cooking utensil that lasted more than a year
with its non stick intact.

These days we run pure stainless and use stainless scrubbing pads to
clean them.

even when frying: there non stick is more a question of pre heeating the
pan and using the right oil..

Our Le Creuset non stick pans are still as good as new from about 1985.
We only use wooden and plastic utensils with them and no dishwasher.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Usenet Nutter presented the following explanation :
wrote:

Invisible Man wrote:
We like stainless steel non-stick saucepans.

In the past I have had non-stick saucepans that lasted for years. Last 2
sets have started giving up after about 30 months each.

Anyone know of any that do last?

Experience of lifetime guarantees is that they are worthless.
Manufacturers claim anything similar is a vast upgrade and ask for more
for the upgrade than you can buy them for elsewhere.

Ive never had a non stick cooking utensil that lasted more than a year
with its non stick intact.

These days we run pure stainless and use stainless scrubbing pads to
clean them.

even when frying: there non stick is more a question of pre heeating the
pan and using the right oil..

Pro kitchens don't use non-stick do they ?

We use cast iron pans for such use. The naturally build up a patina
which is non-stick, if used and cleaned carefully.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 21:43:32 +0000, Invisible Man
wrote:
We like stainless steel non-stick saucepans.

In the past I have had non-stick saucepans that lasted for years. Last 2
sets have started giving up after about 30 months each.

Anyone know of any that do last?

Experience of lifetime guarantees is that they are worthless.
Manufacturers claim anything similar is a vast upgrade and ask for more
for the upgrade than you can buy them for elsewhere.

Getting non-stick coating to adhere to stainless steel for more than a
couple of years must be almost impossible. Stainless steel itself has
some non-stick qualities, especially when polished, so getting
anything to stick to it in the long term would be asking an awful lot
of the coating technology.

I have had two sets of non-stick stainless saucepans and they both
lasted about three years. I have just replaced them with a set of
Tefal non-stick hard anodised alloy pans. I chose Tefal because my
two much-abused Tefal alloy frying pans have lasted for seven and nine
years - the latter one had less use - and I have just replaced them
with hard anodised versions, also from Tefal, giving a matching set.

So basically, I have given up on non-stick stainless steel pans
because I don't think the technology to make them last is currently
available.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Invisible Man
wrote
We like stainless steel non-stick saucepans.

In the past I have had non-stick saucepans that lasted for years. Last
2 sets have started giving up after about 30 months each.

Anyone know of any that do last?

Experience of lifetime guarantees is that they are worthless.
Manufacturers claim anything similar is a vast upgrade and ask for more
for the upgrade than you can buy them for elsewhere.

The trick is to get very heavy pans - stainless or cast iron and not to
use a fierce heat. Heavy pans will initially take longer to heat but it
will be an even heating with no hot spots. It probably the hot spots on
cheaper pans that cause the food to stick and/or any coating to fail.

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 14, 12:07*am, Alan wrote:
It probably the hot spots on cheaper pans that
cause the food to stick and/or any coating to fail.

Prestige copper bottomed stainless last fine, come clean fine, copper
spreads heat fine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 13, 9:43*pm, Invisible Man wrote:
We like stainless steel non-stick saucepans.

In the past I have had non-stick saucepans that lasted for years. Last 2
sets have started giving up after about 30 months each.

Anyone know of any that do last?

Experience of lifetime guarantees is that they are worthless.
Manufacturers claim anything similar is a vast upgrade and ask for more
for the upgrade than you can buy them for elsewhere.

If you dont burn the food to a char, sticking isnt a big problem. But
oddly many people continue to do just that

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I bought mine around 1985. As good as new really.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"js.b1" wrote in message
On Dec 14, 12:07 am, Alan wrote:
It probably the hot spots on cheaper pans that
cause the food to stick and/or any coating to fail.

Prestige copper bottomed stainless last fine, come clean fine, copper
spreads heat fine.

The Prestige aluminium bottomed ones I have are 27 yo now.
No none stick and easy to clean.,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

js.b1
wibbled on Monday 14 December 2009 00:30

On Dec 14, 12:07 am, Alan wrote:
It probably the hot spots on cheaper pans that
cause the food to stick and/or any coating to fail.

Prestige copper bottomed stainless last fine, come clean fine, copper
spreads heat fine.

Can't answer for SS. The best non stick I've had to date have been Meyer
Analon. Those have suffered hideous abuse by others but have managed to last
about 5 years. For the first 3 years, they were fantastic - the most
absolutely non stick coating I've come across. The frying pan got dishwashed
so that died (being ali) but the pans have mostly suffered from scratching
(wrong tools used).

Now I've beated into everyone the importance of looking after these things,
I'm going to try one of the Meyer Circulon Infinite range next, out of
interest - supposed to be dishwasher proof.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:

We like stainless steel non-stick saucepans.

In the past I have had non-stick saucepans that lasted for years. Last 2
sets have started giving up after about 30 months each.

Anyone know of any that do last?

Experience of lifetime guarantees is that they are worthless.
Manufacturers claim anything similar is a vast upgrade and ask for more
for the upgrade than you can buy them for elsewhere.

We still have some 1950's aluminium saucepans. They are not non-stick,
but they clean just fine if left to soak overnight before cleaning is
attempted. The bakelite handles mean they can't go in the DW though, so
SWMBO has to do them by hand. Her choice, I've offered to replace them
with SS many times. She likes the way she can bash spuds and swede to
bits in them with a steel masher and not worry about the scratches!

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 00:07:06 +0000, Alan wrote:

It probably the hot spots on cheaper pans ...

Possibly or the use on an electric hob with bang/bang control. The
mean temperature is what you want but the peaks just after the
element switches off are way higher and with a decent thickness sauce
(so it doesn't convect) that temperature is above the burn point.

These days I can't see why electric hobs still use bang/bang control
and not a fully proportional one, with feedback from the ring so that
it runs flat out to reach temperature then modulates down to the
setting.

that cause the food to stick and/or any coating to fail.

Coating failure is partly down to excessive heat but they do have to
get blooming hot or the use of non-soft tools, wood or plastic *only*
in non-stick pans.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim W
writes

On Dec 14, 12:07 am, Alan wrote:
It probably the hot spots on cheaper pans that
cause the food to stick and/or any coating to fail.

Prestige copper bottomed stainless last fine, come clean fine, copper
spreads heat fine.

Can't answer for SS. The best non stick I've had to date have been Meyer
Analon. Those have suffered hideous abuse by others but have managed to last
about 5 years. For the first 3 years, they were fantastic - the most
absolutely non stick coating I've come across. The frying pan got dishwashed
so that died (being ali) but the pans have mostly suffered from scratching
(wrong tools used).

Now I've beated into everyone the importance of looking after these things,
I'm going to try one of the Meyer Circulon Infinite range next, out of
interest - supposed to be dishwasher proof.

We have been using Meyer Circulon for a few years and they are very,
very good provided that you look after them and use the correct utensils
(they don't go in the dishwasher).

--
Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 14, 12:07 am, wrote:
It probably the hot spots on cheaper pans that
cause the food to stick and/or any coating to fail.

Prestige copper bottomed stainless last fine, come clean fine, copper
spreads heat fine.

Can't answer for SS. The best non stick I've had to date have been Meyer
Analon. Those have suffered hideous abuse by others but have managed to last
about 5 years. For the first 3 years, they were fantastic - the most
absolutely non stick coating I've come across. The frying pan got dishwashed
so that died (being ali) but the pans have mostly suffered from scratching
(wrong tools used).

Now I've beated into everyone the importance of looking after these things,
I'm going to try one of the Meyer Circulon Infinite range next, out of
interest - supposed to be dishwasher proof.

The set where one is failing afer 30 months are steel elite circulon.
Previous ones that failed after 15 months were Silverstone Stainless Steel.
They do go through the dishwasher. We only buy dishwasher safe. Always
use plastic or wood utensils.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Invisible Man writes:
We like stainless steel non-stick saucepans.

In the past I have had non-stick saucepans that lasted for years. Last 2
sets have started giving up after about 30 months each.

Anyone know of any that do last?

Experience of lifetime guarantees is that they are worthless.
Manufacturers claim anything similar is a vast upgrade and ask for more
for the upgrade than you can buy them for elsewhere.

I have a set of (Meyer I think) teflon coated aluminium pans I bought
in 1985 with glass lids - popular at the time, and the shop display
had a hammer for you to try breaking the lid with. The coating is
still perfect in all of them in spite of lots of use, although the
handles started deterorating in the dishwasher about 10 years ago.
They still get occasional use.

Replaced them with set of Stellar SS pans 10 years ago. Only the
frying pan is teflon coated, and that's still fine. Nothing seems to
stick in the others anyway.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 22:14:21 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

We use cast iron pans for such use. The naturally build up a patina
which is non-stick, if used and cleaned carefully.

Agreed. We bought a set of three during the first weeks of QVC for £16 and
wouldn't be without them now.

Andy C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Invisible Man wrote:
We like stainless steel non-stick saucepans.

In the past I have had non-stick saucepans that lasted for years. Last
2 sets have started giving up after about 30 months each.

Anyone know of any that do last?

Experience of lifetime guarantees is that they are worthless.
Manufacturers claim anything similar is a vast upgrade and ask for
more for the upgrade than you can buy them for elsewhere.

Ive never had a non stick cooking utensil that lasted more than a year
with its non stick intact.

These days we run pure stainless and use stainless scrubbing pads to
clean them.

You burn things in them?

I have to agree with most of that, but I do use MMM's metal abrasive to
clean them. It is available in the sheds as a metal abrasive and is
usually coloured green and known as Scotchbright.

even when frying: there non stick is more a question of pre heeating the
pan and using the right oil..

Wife successfully uses our SS frying pan for her plaice, and that has
never stuck to the fish.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Invisible Man wrote:
We like stainless steel non-stick saucepans.

In the past I have had non-stick saucepans that lasted for years. Last 2
sets have started giving up after about 30 months each.

Anyone know of any that do last?

Experience of lifetime guarantees is that they are worthless.
Manufacturers claim anything similar is a vast upgrade and ask for more
for the upgrade than you can buy them for elsewhere.

Ive never had a non stick cooking utensil that lasted more than a year
with its non stick intact.

These days we run pure stainless and use stainless scrubbing pads to
clean them.

even when frying: there non stick is more a question of pre heeating the
pan and using the right oil..

Pro kitchens don't use non-stick do they ?

Do you know why?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Invisible Man wrote:
We like stainless steel non-stick saucepans.

In the past I have had non-stick saucepans that lasted for years.
Last 2 sets have started giving up after about 30 months each.

Anyone know of any that do last?

Experience of lifetime guarantees is that they are worthless.
Manufacturers claim anything similar is a vast upgrade and ask for
more for the upgrade than you can buy them for elsewhere.

Ive never had a non stick cooking utensil that lasted more than a
year with its non stick intact.

These days we run pure stainless and use stainless scrubbing pads to
clean them.

even when frying: there non stick is more a question of pre heeating
the pan and using the right oil..

Pro kitchens don't use non-stick do they ?

We use cast iron pans for such use. The naturally build up a patina
which is non-stick, if used and cleaned carefully.

But so do SS pans.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 18:43:13 +0000, Dave
wrote:

Usenet Nutter wrote:

snipped

Pro kitchens don't use non-stick do they ?

Do you know why?

Dave

Probably a variety of reason such as having pot washers and knowing
how to look after their food so it doesn't get burned .
But I'm sure you'll tell us if you know the reasons .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

After 24 years, perhaps it's time to start using them. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Dec, 13:49, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Invisible Man writes:

[...]

Well, well, well, what a fascinating bunch of guys you all are. Apart
from everything else, the KnowledgeBase in this DIY group extends
right through into the female world of the kitchen and the utensils
used there.

I cook quite a bit and haven't a clue about what pans we have - steel
yes, but manufacturer and type, no. Aluminium got kicked into touch
many years ago because of it's corrosion.

I'm not really terribly sure if I see the point of non-stick saucepans
- cook carefully and an ordinary pan washes out perfectly easily.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 01:45:14 -0800 (PST), robgraham
wrote:

Well, well, well, what a fascinating bunch of guys you all are. Apart
from everything else, the KnowledgeBase in this DIY group extends
right through into the female world of the kitchen and the utensils
used there.

Sexist nonsense!

Most professional cooks are men, so it is very much a male-dominated
profession.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , robert
writes

On Dec 14, 12:07 am, Alan wrote:
[...]

Yup, we have some Circulon ones here as well, they are still doing well.

Other than scrathcing, what seems to do for the non-stick is
overheating, this seems to be mostly problem with frying pans though
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Used daily since then: Stellar or Stella, they are.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , TheOldFellow
writes
Invisible Man wrote:

We like stainless steel non-stick saucepans.

In the past I have had non-stick saucepans that lasted for years. Last 2
sets have started giving up after about 30 months each.

Anyone know of any that do last?

Experience of lifetime guarantees is that they are worthless.
Manufacturers claim anything similar is a vast upgrade and ask for more
for the upgrade than you can buy them for elsewhere.

We still have some 1950's aluminium saucepans. They are not non-stick,
but they clean just fine if left to soak overnight before cleaning is
attempted. The bakelite handles mean they can't go in the DW though, so
SWMBO has to do them by hand. Her choice, I've offered to replace them
with SS many times. She likes the way she can bash spuds and swede to
bits in them with a steel masher and not worry about the scratches!

But, the scratches mean that aluminium bits are getting into your food
and there are serious concerns over the use of aluminium pans and links
to health problems!

--
Frank Spencer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-12-18, Frank Spencer wrote:

But, the scratches mean that aluminium bits are getting into your food
and there are serious concerns over the use of aluminium pans and links
to health problems!

No there aren't.

http://alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/406

The same people who complain about aluminium cooking utensils will
happily drink Aludrox for an acid stomach and will drink water from the
tap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 2009-12-18, Frank wrote:

But, the scratches mean that aluminium bits are getting into your food
and there are serious concerns over the use of aluminium pans and links
to health problems!

No there aren't.

http://alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/406

The same people who complain about aluminium cooking utensils will
happily drink Aludrox for an acid stomach and will drink water from the
tap.

.... in Camelford.

(This is not in any way evidence that aluminium pots and pans cause
health issues.)

--
Rod

Cheap peel-n-stick floor tile doesn't stick Mike Home Repair 13 June 5th 07 05:31 AM
Saucepans Weatherlawyer UK diy 6 December 6th 06 03:32 PM
USB Mem stick / pen Fred Electronics Repair 5 June 26th 06 06:51 AM
Tinning Copper saucepans - again! [email protected] Metalworking 4 February 22nd 06 02:40 PM
Tinning Copper saucepans - again! [email protected] UK diy 13 February 21st 06 10:38 PM