Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Saucepans

What do they glue the bottoms onto saucepans with? I have an old pan
that the bottom fell off. It looks like it had some sort of ceramic
holding the extra thick base onto the thing.

Or is that just dirt? I can't believe it is baked detritus from some
sort of crack in the seal. But I find it difficult to believe they used
a ceramic on it either.

Anyone got one that they are thinking of retiring they can cut through
for a looksee?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Dec 2006 05:08:00 -0800, "Weatherlawyer" wrote:

What do they glue the bottoms onto saucepans with? I have an old pan
that the bottom fell off. It looks like it had some sort of ceramic
holding the extra thick base onto the thing.

Or is that just dirt? I can't believe it is baked detritus from some
sort of crack in the seal. But I find it difficult to believe they used
a ceramic on it either.

Anyone got one that they are thinking of retiring they can cut through
for a looksee?

Eh !!!!! What sort of pans are these that have seperate bottoms ?

Stuart
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Stuart contains these words:

Eh !!!!! What sort of pans are these that have seperate bottoms ?

Lots of pans have copper cores to the base, or are a copper base
laminated onto stainless pans. Some used to be explosive welded, but I
bet they ain't done that way very often.

--
Skipweasel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy King wrote:
Lots of pans have copper cores to the base, or are a copper base
laminated onto stainless pans. Some used to be explosive welded, but I
bet they ain't done that way very often.

The copper base in the Stainless steel "Prestige" ones we have are
soldered together.
I know this because someone forgot to put water in one recently and when
I picked it up the molten solder splashed out and the copper base
nearly fell off (Unfortunately I can't find a replacement).

Arthur
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur wrote:
Guy King wrote:
Lots of pans have copper cores to the base, or are a copper base
laminated onto stainless pans. Some used to be explosive welded, but I
bet they ain't done that way very often.

The copper base in the Stainless steel "Prestige" ones we have are
soldered together.
I know this because someone forgot to put water in one recently and when
I picked it up the molten solder splashed out and the copper base
nearly fell off (Unfortunately I can't find a replacement).

Arthur

..
I've seen a couple (of pans that is) that got overheated and the
thicker external bottom plate came right off suggesting that it was
origianlly adhered with some sort of super-glue (maybe a ceramic one?)
But no molten metal on these.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

terry wrote:
Arthur wrote:
Guy King wrote:
Lots of pans have copper cores to the base, or are a copper base
laminated onto stainless pans. Some used to be explosive welded, but I
bet they ain't done that way very often.

Got a link or whatever?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message . com
from "Weatherlawyer" contains these words:

Some used to be explosive welded, but I
bet they ain't done that way very often.

Got a link or whatever?

No, bother it. I saw it on a telly programme decades ago.

--
Skipweasel