Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Attaching Threaded Rod to Timber

I'm having a blond moment!

Want to attach a piece of M10 threaded rod between two pieces of timber.
One end I shall simply drill a hole right through and put washer/nut on
the end. But the other end needs to be secure without making a hole
right through (for aesthetic reasons). Damned if I can think of anything
suitable! I guess somewhere there might be a thing with a flange that
would screw onto the threaded rod and allow four screws into the wood?
Or a simple strip steel thing.

I do want a ready made thing for now. Not set up for backing metal at
the moment.

Any suggestions?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/09 18:16, Rod wrote:

Want to attach a piece of M10 threaded rod between two pieces of timber.
One end I shall simply drill a hole right through and put washer/nut on
the end. But the other end needs to be secure without making a hole
right through

Nut insert?

http://www.fastfixdirect.co.uk/code/...CategoryID=306
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod
wibbled on Sunday 25 October 2009 18:16

I'm having a blond moment!

Want to attach a piece of M10 threaded rod between two pieces of timber.
One end I shall simply drill a hole right through and put washer/nut on
the end. But the other end needs to be secure without making a hole
right through (for aesthetic reasons). Damned if I can think of anything
suitable! I guess somewhere there might be a thing with a flange that
would screw onto the threaded rod and allow four screws into the wood?
Or a simple strip steel thing.

I do want a ready made thing for now. Not set up for backing metal at
the moment.

Any suggestions?

Does it need to be strong in tension or laterally?

How about

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...All-Categories

Grind some roughness into the sides, thoroughly degrease and bond in
(Araldite?)

Other than that, 2" square plate washer (builder's type, Screwfix) and a nut
glued on the back. Drill holes and screw on, trapping the semi-captive nut
between the washer and the wood - drill a clearance hole into the wood so
nut can recess.

Or just araldite the stud into one bit of wood, then do nut up on the other.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Andy Burns wrote:
On 25/10/09 18:16, Rod wrote:

Want to attach a piece of M10 threaded rod between two pieces of timber.
One end I shall simply drill a hole right through and put washer/nut on
the end. But the other end needs to be secure without making a hole
right through

Nut insert?

http://www.fastfixdirect.co.uk/code/...CategoryID=306

If that had four screw holes instead of four spikes, I think it would be
fine. But the threaded rod will be in tension so the tee-nut would have
to go on the visible outside of the time hence not acceptable to the
higher authorities. :-)

Currently searching the rest of that site to see if they have anything
else that would do.

Thanks - it was close. And very quick. :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod
wibbled on Sunday 25 October 2009 18:29

Andy Burns wrote:
On 25/10/09 18:16, Rod wrote:

Want to attach a piece of M10 threaded rod between two pieces of timber.
One end I shall simply drill a hole right through and put washer/nut on
the end. But the other end needs to be secure without making a hole
right through

Nut insert?

http://www.fastfixdirect.co.uk/code/...CategoryID=306

If that had four screw holes instead of four spikes, I think it would be
fine. But the threaded rod will be in tension so the tee-nut would have
to go on the visible outside of the time hence not acceptable to the
higher authorities. :-)

Try B&Q. Some metal table legs are screwed into a round plate with 4 or 5
holes via a single stud. That stud *might* be M10.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.js...&isSearch=true

Or this:

http://www.locksonline.com/acatalog/...und-13232.html

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:

Want to attach a piece of M10 threaded rod between two pieces of timber.
One end I shall simply drill a hole right through and put washer/nut on
the end. But the other end needs to be secure without making a hole
right through (for aesthetic reasons).

Umm, drill a large hole in the "other end" sufficient for the washer and
nut and to recess the same below the surface of the timber then blank
off with a plug.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
On 25/10/09 18:16, Rod wrote:

Want to attach a piece of M10 threaded rod between two pieces of
timber. One end I shall simply drill a hole right through and put
washer/nut on the end. But the other end needs to be secure without
making a hole right through

Nut insert?

http://www.fastfixdirect.co.uk/code/...CategoryID=306

If that had four screw holes instead of four spikes, I think it would
be fine. But the threaded rod will be in tension so the tee-nut would
have to go on the visible outside of the time hence not acceptable to
the higher authorities. :-)

Drill the necessary holes in it for the screws - and use dome head screws to
take the tensile load - would that not work?

If there is a problem with the dome heads that stops the two pieces of
timber from making contact with each other, simply drill holes to
accommodate the heads.

Falco

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.fastfixdirect.co.uk/code/...e=Fasteners&Ma...

If that had four screw holes instead of four spikes, I think it would be
fine. But the threaded rod will be in tension so the tee-nut would have
to go on the visible outside of the time hence not acceptable to the
higher authorities. :-)

Currently searching the rest of that site to see if they have anything
else that would do.

Thanks - it was close. And very quick. :-)

--
Rod

The link was to a tee nut rather than an nutsert/nut insert.

http://shop.comdir.co.uk/Products.aspx?intGroupID=1001
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/10/09 18:52, Bolted wrote:

The link was to a tee nut rather than an nutsert/nut insert.

http://shop.comdir.co.uk/Products.aspx?intGroupID=1001

heh! I was seconds away from suggesting that very page!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Andy Burns wrote:
On 25/10/09 18:52, Bolted wrote:

The link was to a tee nut rather than an nutsert/nut insert.

http://shop.comdir.co.uk/Products.aspx?intGroupID=1001

heh! I was seconds away from suggesting that very page!

Bit worried about those - in a nice hardwood like oak or beech, I'd
probably be happy. But this is non-specific softwood and I don't think
I'd trust them.

That's possibly why my brain was imagining a large flange with four well
spaced screw holes.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Steve Firth wrote:
Rod wrote:

Want to attach a piece of M10 threaded rod between two pieces of timber.
One end I shall simply drill a hole right through and put washer/nut on
the end. But the other end needs to be secure without making a hole
right through (for aesthetic reasons).

Umm, drill a large hole in the "other end" sufficient for the washer and
nut and to recess the same below the surface of the timber then blank
off with a plug.

Unfortunately it is not going to work. The timber is too thin to house
the nut and a plug as well as retaining enough thickness to take the
tension. Also, the timber is already fully finished.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
I'm having a blond moment!

Want to attach a piece of M10 threaded rod between two pieces of timber.
One end I shall simply drill a hole right through and put washer/nut on
the end. But the other end needs to be secure without making a hole
right through (for aesthetic reasons). Damned if I can think of anything
suitable! I guess somewhere there might be a thing with a flange that
would screw onto the threaded rod and allow four screws into the wood?
Or a simple strip steel thing.

I do want a ready made thing for now. Not set up for backing metal at
the moment.

Any suggestions?

Polyester resin as used in attaching studs to brickwork?#

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Threaded wood insert?
These screw into a hole via an allen key, take metric screw/bolt?

Dowel screw?
One end woodscrew, other end metric?

T-nut as already suggested.

I assume a neatly countersunk allen/torx stainless screw is out? Or
security-type with twin-pin (bit excessive, but gives a different
appearance than "held together with bolts".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 18:16:28 +0000, Rod wrote:

I'm having a blond moment!

Want to attach a piece of M10 threaded rod between two pieces of timber.
One end I shall simply drill a hole right through and put washer/nut on
the end. But the other end needs to be secure without making a hole
right through (for aesthetic reasons). Damned if I can think of anything
suitable! I guess somewhere there might be a thing with a flange that
would screw onto the threaded rod and allow four screws into the wood?
Or a simple strip steel thing.

I do want a ready made thing for now. Not set up for backing metal at
the moment.

Any suggestions?

Counterbore the visible side, bolt through and then insert a plug of the
same wood? Should be virtually invisible.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Steve Walker wrote:
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 18:16:28 +0000, Rod wrote:

I'm having a blond moment!

Want to attach a piece of M10 threaded rod between two pieces of timber.
One end I shall simply drill a hole right through and put washer/nut on
the end. But the other end needs to be secure without making a hole
right through (for aesthetic reasons). Damned if I can think of anything
suitable! I guess somewhere there might be a thing with a flange that
would screw onto the threaded rod and allow four screws into the wood?
Or a simple strip steel thing.

I do want a ready made thing for now. Not set up for backing metal at
the moment.

Any suggestions?

Counterbore the visible side, bolt through and then insert a plug of the
same wood? Should be virtually invisible.

SteveW

I think that is what Steve Firth suggested. The wood isn't thick enough
to allow that and still have enough strength to take the load on the
nut/washer.

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Tim W wrote:

Or this:

http://www.locksonline.com/acatalog/...und-13232.html

That looks as if it would be fine - but jolly expensive!

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod
wibbled on Sunday 25 October 2009 22:47

Tim W wrote:

Or this:

http://www.locksonline.com/acatalog/...und-13232.html

That looks as if it would be fine - but jolly expensive!

How many do you need?

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On 25 Oct, 18:16, Rod wrote:
I'm having a blond moment!

Want to attach a piece of M10 threaded rod between two pieces of timber.
One end I shall simply drill a hole right through and put washer/nut on
the end. But the other end needs to be secure without making a hole
right through (for aesthetic reasons). Damned if I can think of anything
suitable! I guess somewhere there might be a thing with a flange that
would screw onto the threaded rod and allow four screws into the wood?
Or a simple strip steel thing.

I do want a ready made thing for now. Not set up for backing metal at
the moment.

Any suggestions?

--
Rod

How about the fittings for attaching things like sinks to walls?
Threaded (for the nut) on one end and with a screw thread on the
other. I'm pretty certain the ones I bought a while ago (Wickes but
they have them in S/Fix / B&Q) were M10, but it rather depends on how
long you need it to be and how much thread needs to be accessible
between the two timbers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:
On 25 Oct, 18:16, Rod wrote:
[...]

Car body filler! Oversize the hole a little so it doesn't have to be
perfectly aligned.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Oct, 18:16, Rod wrote:

Want to attach a piece of M10 threaded rod between two pieces of timber.
One end I shall simply drill a hole right through and put washer/nut on
the end. But the other end needs to be secure without making a hole
right through (for aesthetic reasons).

Hard to say definitely, without knowing more about it.

Can you make a hole, so long as nothing protrudes afterwards?

Can you make a hole and plug it?

Where are the forces acting? Tension in the rod? Shear? As you're
using M10, presumably there's a significant force involved and any
"attachment plate" would itself have to be well attached.

I suspect I'd be looking at a mortice into the end of the timber and
the rod screwing through a nut & washer dropped down this mortice.
However that also reduces the thickness of the timber that's taking
the load by a significant amount. There's also the risk of rain
collecting in there and rot.

I guess I'd probably end up drilling a counterbore and having a hole
visible, but without the protrusion. A totally hidden fixing would be
either too awkward, or too inefficient in terms of timber thickness /
load.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 18:16:28 +0000, Rod wrote:

I'm having a blond moment!

Want to attach a piece of M10 threaded rod between two pieces of timber.
One end I shall simply drill a hole right through and put washer/nut on
the end. But the other end needs to be secure without making a hole
right through (for aesthetic reasons). Damned if I can think of anything
suitable! I guess somewhere there might be a thing with a flange that
would screw onto the threaded rod and allow four screws into the wood?
Or a simple strip steel thing.

I do want a ready made thing for now. Not set up for backing metal at
the moment.

Any suggestions?

How about one of these?

http://www.just-clips.co.uk/products...lleable%20Iron

They also do a brass version

Rick... (The other Rick)

Science and sound engineering will always prevail in the end
"for nature cannot be fooled" [Feynman]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 18:16:28 +0000, Rod wrote:

I'm having a blond moment!

Want to attach a piece of M10 threaded rod between two pieces of timber.
One end I shall simply drill a hole right through and put washer/nut on
the end. But the other end needs to be secure without making a hole
right through (for aesthetic reasons). Damned if I can think of anything
suitable! I guess somewhere there might be a thing with a flange that
would screw onto the threaded rod and allow four screws into the wood?
Or a simple strip steel thing.

I do want a ready made thing for now. Not set up for backing metal at
the moment.

Any suggestions?

Or how about one of these with a bit of fettling?

http://www.stickituk.com/pages/produ...s/fig-070.html

Rick... (The other Rick)

Science and sound engineering will always prevail in the end
"for nature cannot be fooled" [Feynman]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Malcolm wrote:
Rod wrote:
I'm having a blond moment!

Want to attach a piece of M10 threaded rod between two pieces of
timber. One end I shall simply drill a hole right through and put
washer/nut on the end. But the other end needs to be secure without
making a hole right through (for aesthetic reasons). Damned if I can
think of anything suitable! I guess somewhere there might be a thing
with a flange that would screw onto the threaded rod and allow four
screws into the wood? Or a simple strip steel thing.

I do want a ready made thing for now. Not set up for backing metal at
the moment.

Any suggestions?

Polyester resin as used in attaching studs to brickwork?#

Malcolm

otherwise known as car body filler.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 18:16:28 +0000, Rod wrote:

I'm having a blond moment!

Want to attach a piece of M10 threaded rod between two pieces of timber.
One end I shall simply drill a hole right through and put washer/nut on
the end. But the other end needs to be secure without making a hole
right through (for aesthetic reasons). Damned if I can think of anything
suitable! I guess somewhere there might be a thing with a flange that
would screw onto the threaded rod and allow four screws into the wood?
Or a simple strip steel thing.

I do want a ready made thing for now. Not set up for backing metal at
the moment.

Any suggestions?

Bingo!

http://www.canford.co.uk/ProductResources/ig/2580.pdf

What you want is the 10mm Ceiling plate.

Bet it's expensive...

Rick... (The other Rick)

Science and sound engineering will always prevail in the end
"for nature cannot be fooled" [Feynman]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 22:44:31 +0000, Rod wrote:

Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

Yes, sorry, I only saw his reply after I'd sent mine - I really should have
refreshed my newsreader and checked for new posts first.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Tim W wrote:

Or this:

http://www.locksonline.com/acatalog/...und-13232.html

That looks as if it would be fine - but jolly expensive!

How many do you need?

Probably only four but some of the cheaper backplates are down as low as
28p each.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Rick... (The other Rick) wrote:

How about one of these?

http://www.just-clips.co.uk/products...lleable%20Iron

They also do a brass version

Think that would do fine - now I know what they are called I can see
them all over. Just trying to decide where to get some.

Thanks to all who have made suggestions. There are definitely several
other options if this does not work out - albeit all seem much more
expensive.

Car body filler ain't going to be a flier. Regardless of how good it
might be, I don't have the right feelings about it for this purpose. If
I had to do anything more substantial myself, I would prefer to make my
own metal plates.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Oct, 22:24, Rod wrote:

Car body filler ain't going to be a flier. Regardless of how good it
might be, I don't have the right feelings about it for this purpose. If
I had to do anything more substantial myself, I would prefer to make my
own metal plates.

I can't imagine the (sensible) application which would pull an M10
nutsert out of softwood, but if you wanted to do your own plate it
doesn't need to be complicated, take a mending plate or similar, drill
an 11mm hole in it, thread the rod through, whack a nut and big washer
on the back, counterbore the timber and screw the plate on the face
of the timber. In fact, you could do that with a nutsert and the
right washers for belt and braces.