Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Threaded rod padding

One place where I go, now and again. There is a vertical,
metal ladder. At the top, there is a threaded rod, for a
hand hold. The threads cut into my fingers, when I grab on.
Someone had wrapped this in duct tape, but the threads are
cutting through the duct tape. Is there some other way to
pad this, so it would be a more comfortable grip handle?

Can't slide a tube over it, and wouldn't want to. The tube
would rotate, and a climber could lose grip. Foam padding
(like for pipe wrap) might not hold up for very long.

The duct tape isn't all that ideal, it's a bit slippery.
What else comes to mind?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Stormin Mormon wrote:
One place where I go, now and again. There is a vertical,
metal ladder. At the top, there is a threaded rod, for a
hand hold. The threads cut into my fingers, when I grab on.
Someone had wrapped this in duct tape, but the threads are
cutting through the duct tape. Is there some other way to
pad this, so it would be a more comfortable grip handle?

Can't slide a tube over it, and wouldn't want to. The tube
would rotate, and a climber could lose grip. Foam padding
(like for pipe wrap) might not hold up for very long.

The duct tape isn't all that ideal, it's a bit slippery.
What else comes to mind?

Replace it w/ a rod threaded only on the ends...

Paint it w/ a few layers of the tool-grip paint...

Wear gloves...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
One place where I go, now and again. There is a vertical,
metal ladder. At the top, there is a threaded rod, for a
hand hold. The threads cut into my fingers, when I grab on.
Someone had wrapped this in duct tape, but the threads are
cutting through the duct tape. Is there some other way to
pad this, so it would be a more comfortable grip handle?

Can't slide a tube over it, and wouldn't want to. The tube
would rotate, and a climber could lose grip. Foam padding
(like for pipe wrap) might not hold up for very long.

The duct tape isn't all that ideal, it's a bit slippery.
What else comes to mind?

Wrap it with self fusing rubber tape.
Posted to alt.home.repair

That has all the advantages. Simple, cheap, and great grip.
I like it!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

wrap it with a bicycle innertube under tension, and the ends
secured
with Gorilla Tape and plastic ties.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 10:19*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
One place where I go, now and again. There is *a vertical,
metal ladder. At the top, there is a threaded rod, for a
hand hold. The threads cut into my fingers, when I grab on.
Someone had wrapped this in duct tape, but the threads are
cutting through the duct tape. Is there some other way to
pad this, so it would be a more comfortable grip handle?

Can't slide a tube over it, and wouldn't want to. The tube
would rotate, and a climber could lose grip. Foam padding
(like for pipe wrap) might not hold up for very long.

The duct tape isn't all that ideal, it's a bit slippery.
What else comes to mind?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

Take it out cut a length of plumbing pipe or conduit to fit over the
threaded rod, replace.

Posted to alt.home.repair

dpb wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
One place where I go, now and again. There is a vertical, metal
ladder. At the top, there is a threaded rod, for a hand hold. The
threads cut into my fingers, when I grab on. Someone had wrapped this
in duct tape, but the threads are cutting through the duct tape. Is
there some other way to pad this, so it would be a more comfortable
grip handle?

Can't slide a tube over it, and wouldn't want to. The tube would
rotate, and a climber could lose grip. Foam padding (like for pipe
wrap) might not hold up for very long.

The duct tape isn't all that ideal, it's a bit slippery. What else
comes to mind?

Replace it w/ a rod threaded only on the ends...

Paint it w/ a few layers of the tool-grip paint...

Wear gloves...

--

Wrap it in a strip of wet leather, and cinch the end off tightly. Once
it dries, it won't go anywhere.

Proper solution, although probably a PITA, is to take the damn thing
apart and put a proper grab handle there. Or take the old part to a
machine/welding shop, and tell them 'make me one that looks like this,
but I want this part hand-friendly'. If that means going from a single
threaded rod to a multi-piece fitting, make sure it is strong enough for
the application. (NB the Kansas City balcony collapse, which was due to
a changed threaded-rod design.) Or maybe just add a handle off to the
side of the threaded rod, held in place with jam nuts so it doesn't move
around when people grab it.

Hard to say without seeing the installation in question- I can imagine
lots of things.
--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
dpb wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Handlebar tape for a bicycle?

Length of fuel hose, just a little undersize, slit lengthwise and
wrapped with electrical tape?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

You miss the part about "can't slide a tube over it"?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message

Take it out cut a length of plumbing pipe or conduit to fit
over the
threaded rod, replace.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The grip handle is bent threaded rod, and sunk into the
concrete. I can't remove it. The wet leather sounds good.
That, or the tennis handle grip wrap.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"aemeijers" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now you are on to something -- with the fuel hose. I'll have
to check sometime, see what the thread diameter is. I guess
it's not an issue if the rod is a bit big, you only pull on
the back and top of the threads.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
aemeijers wrote:

Handlebar tape for a bicycle?

Length of fuel hose, just a little undersize, slit
lengthwise and
wrapped with electrical tape?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
The grip handle is bent threaded rod, and sunk into the
concrete. I can't remove it. The wet leather sounds good.
That, or the tennis handle grip wrap.

What? Field-created handles and loops are supposed to be made from bent
rebar, not threaded rod! Send your concrete guy back to school!

--
aem sends...