Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cracking plaster behind wood burning stove

Friends, two years ago I had a woodburning stove fitted into the
cavity left by the removal of an open fire.

The sides and back of the cavity were professionally rendered and
plastered and then I applied White emulsion to the surface.

The heat generated by what is essentially only a small burner is
making crazy cracking of the plaster especially behind the burner. It
is NOT loose only unsightly.

Any suggestions as to either filling or painting over or perhaps some
form of heat shield/reflector?

Regards, Peter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 23, 6:26 pm, petercharlesfagg
wrote:
Friends, two years ago I had a woodburning stove fitted into the
cavity left by the removal of an open fire.

The sides and back of the cavity were professionally rendered and
plastered and then I applied White emulsion to the surface.

The heat generated by what is essentially only a small burner is
making crazy cracking of the plaster especially behind the burner. It
is NOT loose only unsightly.

Any suggestions as to either filling or painting over or perhaps some
form of heat shield/reflector?

Regards, Peter.

sandy masonry paint, repeat til cured?

cheers
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Try

http://www.charlesproducts.co.uk/fireplace.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

petercharlesfagg
wibbled on Friday 23 October 2009 18:26

Friends, two years ago I had a woodburning stove fitted into the
cavity left by the removal of an open fire.

The sides and back of the cavity were professionally rendered and
plastered and then I applied White emulsion to the surface.

The heat generated by what is essentially only a small burner is
making crazy cracking of the plaster especially behind the burner. It
is NOT loose only unsightly.

Any suggestions as to either filling or painting over or perhaps some
form of heat shield/reflector?

Regards, Peter.

I purposely did not plaster my cavity. I used a playsand (silver sand), lime
and white cement (SnowCrete) render in the usual render proportions.

You could hack off the plaster, and apply a render like this, using a
SnowCrete slurry as a binding agent to the existing render.

But you should wait a month until I have my stove in place and I can report
that it actually works (or not!).

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 10:26:20 -0700 (PDT), petercharlesfagg
wrote:

Friends, two years ago I had a woodburning stove fitted into the
cavity left by the removal of an open fire.

The sides and back of the cavity were professionally rendered and
plastered and then I applied White emulsion to the surface.

The heat generated by what is essentially only a small burner is
making crazy cracking of the plaster especially behind the burner. It
is NOT loose only unsightly.

Any suggestions as to either filling or painting over or perhaps some
form of heat shield/reflector?

Regards, Peter.

Have you got enough room between the stove and the walls?
--
http://www.halloweenfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 20:23:05 +0100, Tim W wrote:
I purposely did not plaster my cavity.

The potential for innuendo in this ng continues to astound...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules
wibbled on Friday 23 October 2009 22:31

On Fri, 23 Oct 2009 20:23:05 +0100, Tim W wrote:
I purposely did not plaster my cavity.

The potential for innuendo in this ng continues to astound...

I can be more direct if you prefer.

At my last place of employment, I was known for my colourful displays of
linguist fortitude when something I was writing didn't work up against a
deadline :-

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

petercharlesfagg wrote:
Friends, two years ago I had a woodburning stove fitted into the
cavity left by the removal of an open fire.

The sides and back of the cavity were professionally rendered and
plastered and then I applied White emulsion to the surface.

The heat generated by what is essentially only a small burner is
making crazy cracking of the plaster especially behind the burner. It
is NOT loose only unsightly.

Any suggestions as to either filling or painting over or perhaps some
form of heat shield/reflector?

Regards, Peter.

Sheet of masterboard or multiboard and heat resistant paint.

Or render and paint.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Friends, thankyou for the suggestions.

A slurry of sopmething or other to fill the voids sounds as if it is
the bnest option.

I was interested in the thought about clearances, the stove was fitted
by a qualified installer who also lined the chimney as approved by the
Planning Office. No comment was made as to the stove being too close
to the back wall but it is a possibility!

Thanks again, Peter.

Do I need to put out wood burning stove? spj_uk Home Ownership 2 October 30th 06 03:46 PM
wood burning stove John Kelly UK diy 7 October 13th 06 03:01 PM
wood burning stove [email protected] UK diy 2 April 24th 05 05:28 AM
Wood burning stove PacKat Home Repair 3 December 21st 04 02:16 PM
Wood burning stove Martin Carroll UK diy 4 October 12th 03 08:44 PM