Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim W[_2_] Tim W[_2_] is offline

Default Cracking plaster behind wood burning stove

petercharlesfagg
wibbled on Friday 23 October 2009 18:26

Friends, two years ago I had a woodburning stove fitted into the
cavity left by the removal of an open fire.

The sides and back of the cavity were professionally rendered and
plastered and then I applied White emulsion to the surface.

The heat generated by what is essentially only a small burner is
making crazy cracking of the plaster especially behind the burner. It
is NOT loose only unsightly.

Any suggestions as to either filling or painting over or perhaps some
form of heat shield/reflector?

Regards, Peter.

I purposely did not plaster my cavity. I used a playsand (silver sand), lime
and white cement (SnowCrete) render in the usual render proportions.

You could hack off the plaster, and apply a render like this, using a
SnowCrete slurry as a binding agent to the existing render.

But you should wait a month until I have my stove in place and I can report
that it actually works (or not!).

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...