Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Suitable modelling cement or similar.

Hi all. Maybe not strictly DIY but you've been helpful in here before.

I have a few pieces of coloured glass in approx 1" chunks and also
some attractive pebbles collected from a beach by my children when
they were very young.

For sentimental reasons I would like to set them into some kind of
putty or cement in order to make a couple of paperweights.
Maybe simply pushing them into a lump of some fixant.
I'm visualising summat like Superman's glass home on Krypton but about
the size of a tennis ball :-)

Grateful for any advice on what cement I could set them into and maybe
a link to a vendor?
--

blackbat /\x/\

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 00:33:28 +0100, "george (dicegeorge)"
wrote:

Car body filler?

[g]

Hmmm maybe - although I feel whatever I use will need excellent
adhesive qualities to stick to the glass.
--

blackbat /\x/\
Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJ PJ is offline

blackbat wrote:
Hi all. Maybe not strictly DIY but you've been helpful in here before.

I have a few pieces of coloured glass in approx 1" chunks and also
some attractive pebbles collected from a beach by my children when
they were very young.

For sentimental reasons I would like to set them into some kind of
putty or cement in order to make a couple of paperweights.
Maybe simply pushing them into a lump of some fixant.
I'm visualising summat like Superman's glass home on Krypton but about
the size of a tennis ball :-)

Grateful for any advice on what cement I could set them into and maybe
a link to a vendor?

Would clear embedding resin be suitable?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 00:15:30 +0100, blackbat wrote:
I'm visualising summat like Superman's glass home on Krypton but about
the size of a tennis ball :-)

This has to be the best newsgroup ever... :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"blackbat" wrote in message
Hi all. Maybe not strictly DIY but you've been helpful in here before.

I have a few pieces of coloured glass in approx 1" chunks and also
some attractive pebbles collected from a beach by my children when
they were very young.

For sentimental reasons I would like to set them into some kind of
putty or cement in order to make a couple of paperweights.
Maybe simply pushing them into a lump of some fixant.
I'm visualising summat like Superman's glass home on Krypton but about
the size of a tennis ball :-)

Grateful for any advice on what cement I could set them into and maybe
a link to a vendor?

Find a local(ish) large craft store,
Buy a 1kg size box of crystal clear resin casting mix and a suitable mould
Read up on how to achieve a "No bubble" finish and cast the lot inside a
nice shaped ornament/paperweight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 01:41:22 +0100, PJ wrote:

Would clear embedding resin be suitable?

Not ideal - I want them sticking out like a porcupine on acid ( !).
--

blackbat /\x/\
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009 20:32:08 -0500, Jules
wrote:

This has to be the best newsgroup ever... :-)

aww shucks
--

blackbat /\x/\
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 06:32:27 +0100, "R" wrote:

Find a local(ish) large craft store,
Buy a 1kg size box of crystal clear resin casting mix and a suitable mould
Read up on how to achieve a "No bubble" finish and cast the lot inside a
nice shaped ornament/paperweight.

Thanks. Did consider that option - I used to use it as a kid.
Trouble is it's not the effect I was after. I think it would be too
large and wouldn't show off the glass at its best.

Do you think car filler would be adhesive enough?
--

blackbat /\x/\

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Car body filler?

[g]

Hmmm maybe - although I feel whatever I use will need excellent
adhesive qualities to stick to the glass.

IT HAS!!!

It'll certainly stick. Whether the colour/texture is what the OP wants
is another matter. With casting resin you can add whatever aggregate you
like. Interesting possibilities
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Oct, 09:31, blackbat wrote:
On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 06:32:27 +0100, "R" wrote:
Find a local(ish) large craft store,
Buy a 1kg size box of crystal clear resin casting mix and a suitable mould
Read up on how to achieve a "No bubble" finish and cast the lot inside a
nice shaped ornament/paperweight.

Thanks. Did consider that option - I used to use it as a kid.

8------
"Plastic Embedding" perchance?
Smelt like the biggest, most toxic acid drop in the whole of
christendom?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 04:23:03 -0700 (PDT), Lino expert
wrote:

"Plastic Embedding" perchance?
Smelt like the biggest, most toxic acid drop in the whole of
christendom?

Can't remember what it was called.
Had a small ceramic mould that had 5 smaller indents to make keyrings
of differing shapes.
It *did* stink though.
--

blackbat /\x/\
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 11:58:22 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

CAR BODY FILLER!!!

OK, OK - I hear you!
Thanks. Sounds ideal. The glass will hide the filler so it doesn't
have to look attractive.
--

blackbat /\x/\

Posted to uk.d-i-y

around 1970 we had 'Plasticraft'
to make keyrings etc with embedded acorns etc

gogling it gives things likle:
http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?p=32537

wrote:

"Plastic Embedding" perchance?
Smelt like the biggest, most toxic acid drop in the whole of
christendom?

Can't remember what it was called.
Had a small ceramic mould that had 5 smaller indents to make keyrings
of differing shapes.
It *did* stink though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 13:48:18 +0100, "george (dicegeorge)"
wrote:

around 1970 we had 'Plasticraft'

that's the one!
showing my age now...
--

blackbat /\x/\
Posted to uk.d-i-y

blackbat wrote:
Hi all. Maybe not strictly DIY but you've been helpful in here before.

I have a few pieces of coloured glass in approx 1" chunks and also
some attractive pebbles collected from a beach by my children when
they were very young.

For sentimental reasons I would like to set them into some kind of
putty or cement in order to make a couple of paperweights.
Maybe simply pushing them into a lump of some fixant.
I'm visualising summat like Superman's glass home on Krypton but about
the size of a tennis ball :-)

Grateful for any advice on what cement I could set them into and maybe
a link to a vendor?

http://www.tiranti.co.uk

Give them a call and ask for their advice.

HTH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 15:23:08 +0100, Dave Osborne
wrote:

http://www.tiranti.co.uk

Give them a call and ask for their advice.

HTH

Good site - thanks.
--

blackbat /\x/\
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi all. Maybe not strictly DIY but you've been helpful in here before.

I have a few pieces of coloured glass in approx 1" chunks and also
some attractive pebbles collected from a beach by my children when
they were very young.

For sentimental reasons I would like to set them into some kind of
putty or cement in order to make a couple of paperweights.
Maybe simply pushing them into a lump of some fixant.
I'm visualising summat like Superman's glass home on Krypton but about
the size of a tennis ball :-)

Grateful for any advice on what cement I could set them into and maybe
a link to a vendor?

Some good ideas were posted, but I am surprised that no-one mentioned
Milliput epoxy putty, which should be the ideal material.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milliput
http://www.milliput.com/

You can buy it in a selection of colours from Amazon UK:
http://tinyurl.com/ylhoy44

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 19:03:52 +0100, Bruce
wrote:

Some good ideas were posted, but I am surprised that no-one mentioned
Milliput epoxy putty, which should be the ideal material.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milliput
http://www.milliput.com/

You can buy it in a selection of colours from Amazon UK:
http://tinyurl.com/ylhoy44

Sold!
Ideal because of the range of colours.
Just ordered some from Ebay.

Thanks to all that posted.
--

blackbat /\x/\
Posted to uk.d-i-y

blackbat wrote:
Hi all. Maybe not strictly DIY but you've been helpful in here before.

I have a few pieces of coloured glass in approx 1" chunks and also
some attractive pebbles collected from a beach by my children when
they were very young.

For sentimental reasons I would like to set them into some kind of
putty or cement in order to make a couple of paperweights.
Maybe simply pushing them into a lump of some fixant.
I'm visualising summat like Superman's glass home on Krypton but about
the size of a tennis ball :-)

Grateful for any advice on what cement I could set them into and maybe
a link to a vendor?
--

blackbat /\x/\

For stained glass work the stuff is called "Leaded Light Cement" (ebay
search). It's a Black Linseedy oil type putty and hideously expensive
at about £9 a tub (bought some last week) but it does the job.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce wrote:

Some good ideas were posted, but I am surprised that no-one mentioned
Milliput epoxy putty, which should be the ideal material.

Well I didn't mention it because I'm not convinced it's the right
solution. To get a tennis ball-sized lump of Milliput, you would need
several packets. Just to mix it up would be very hard work and take you
the best part of a very long time . I don't know what the working time
is offhand, but by the time you've mixed up the fifth or sixth packet,
the first may well be going off and this is before you've tried to embed
the glass and pebbles, which may not have a good initial adhesion as you
would need to use a significant amount of water to stop it sticking to
your hands.

Worth a try on a small scale, maybe, but I wouldn't contemplate making a
tennis-ball sized lump.

As the OP has ordered some, perhaps he will be kind enough to let us
know how he gets on.

Cheers,
Smudger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Dave Osborne
writes
Bruce wrote:

Some good ideas were posted, but I am surprised that no-one
mentioned
Milliput epoxy putty, which should be the ideal material.

Well I didn't mention it because I'm not convinced it's the right
solution. To get a tennis ball-sized lump of Milliput, you would need
several packets. Just to mix it up would be very hard work and take you
the best part of a very long time . I don't know what the working time
is offhand, but by the time you've mixed up the fifth or sixth packet,
the first may well be going off and this is before you've tried to
embed the glass and pebbles, which may not have a good initial adhesion
as you would need to use a significant amount of water to stop it
sticking to your hands.

You need to use gloves - horrible stuff to mix

Worth a try on a small scale, maybe, but I wouldn't contemplate making
a tennis-ball sized lump.

What's the problem of using a ball as a former and building on the
surface ?

As the OP has ordered some, perhaps he will be kind enough to let us
know how he gets on.

Cheers,
Smudger

Smudger ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 00:00:35 +0100, blackbat wrote:

I was looking for a 'blob' of resin/cement.

Galt Modeling Clay - cheap, air dries, grey only I think.

Fimo Modeling Clay - cheap, needs to be low temperature baked, range
of colours.

Both available from many places mail order, the Galt might be found
in toy shops. The Fimo more likley in craft places.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Dave Osborne
writes
Bruce wrote:

Some good ideas were posted, but I am surprised that no-one mentioned
Milliput epoxy putty, which should be the ideal material.

Well I didn't mention it because I'm not convinced it's the right
solution. To get a tennis ball-sized lump of Milliput, you would need
several packets. Just to mix it up would be very hard work and take
you the best part of a very long time . I don't know what the working
time is offhand, but by the time you've mixed up the fifth or sixth
packet, the first may well be going off and this is before you've
tried to embed the glass and pebbles, which may not have a good
initial adhesion as you would need to use a significant amount of
water to stop it sticking to your hands.

You need to use gloves - horrible stuff to mix

Still need the water, though. It sticks to gloves even better than fingers.

Worth a try on a small scale, maybe, but I wouldn't contemplate making
a tennis-ball sized lump.

What's the problem of using a ball as a former and building on the
surface ?

You could certainly give it a go.

As the OP has ordered some, perhaps he will be kind enough to let us
know how he gets on.

Cheers,
Smudger

Smudger ?

My brother in law as it happens. His comments about Milliput. Pretty
lucid reply considering we'd been on the ale all evening. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 00:00:49 +0100, Dave Osborne
wrote:

Well I didn't mention it because I'm not convinced it's the right
solution. To get a tennis ball-sized lump of Milliput, you would need
several packets. Just to mix it up would be very hard work and take you
the best part of a very long time . I don't know what the working time
is offhand, but by the time you've mixed up the fifth or sixth packet,
the first may well be going off and this is before you've tried to embed
the glass and pebbles, which may not have a good initial adhesion as you
would need to use a significant amount of water to stop it sticking to
your hands.

Worth a try on a small scale, maybe, but I wouldn't contemplate making a
tennis-ball sized lump.

What I decided after considering everyone's ideas, is to try Milliput
but (instead of making a tennis ball sized blob as I originally
pictured) use it as an an adhesive to stick the glass pieces to a
large piece of attractive white granite that I have.
I chose the Milliput because it was available in white.

The pebbles are from Lake Como in Italy are grey and I'm guessing have
some kind of ore in them that makes them glitter. The kids were
delighted to find them. They'll be fine in the ordinary (and cheaper)
grey Milliput.

As the OP has ordered some, perhaps he will be kind enough to let us
know how he gets on.

Sure thing.
--

blackbat /\x/\
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 00:13:49 +0100, geoff wrote:

What's the problem of using a ball as a former and building on the
surface ?

Yup - similar to what I eventually decided. Lump of granite rather
than a ball.
--

blackbat /\x/\
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 09:27:24 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Galt Modeling Clay - cheap, air dries, grey only I think.

Fimo Modeling Clay - cheap, needs to be low temperature baked, range
of colours.

Both available from many places mail order, the Galt might be found
in toy shops. The Fimo more likley in craft places.

Not sure of their adhesive qualities but quite tempting to have a play
with these two anyway.
--

blackbat /\x/\

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 11:17:22 +0100, blackbat wrote:

Galt Modeling Clay - cheap, air dries, grey only I think.

Fimo Modeling Clay - cheap, needs to be low temperature baked,

range
of colours.

Not sure of their adhesive qualities but quite tempting to have a play
with these two anyway.

Good point. The Galt stuff will wet down then dries rock hard. As the
stuff you are attaching is has a textured surface that would hold the
bits on. Or you could use it as a base and another glue to attche the
bits, that epoxy stuff mentioned.

But anyway a lump of nice granite sounds better than boring lump of
clay. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Well I didn't mention it because I'm not convinced it's the right
solution. To get a tennis ball-sized lump of Milliput, you would need
several packets. Just to mix it up would be very hard work and take you
the best part of a very long time . I don't know what the working time
is offhand, but by the time you've mixed up the fifth or sixth packet,
the first may well be going off and this is before you've tried to embed
the glass and pebbles, which may not have a good initial adhesion as you
would need to use a significant amount of water to stop it sticking to
your hands.

I've used Milliput for a very long time and have never had any
problems. If you're doing a job where slow setting is required, you
just put it in the fridge before using it. If you want it to set
quickly you can then put it in a low oven (heat to 70C then turn the
oven off, then put in the item).

It would be very silly indeed to use a large tennis ball-sized blob of
Milliput - just use it over a former, such as a piece of wood or brick
or a suitably sized stone.

And it doesn't stick to your hands to anything like the extent that
you claim. I can only conclude that you have never used it yourself,
or that you have strangely sticky hands.

Milliput is very widely used by a great many model makers and by arts
and crafts workers for exactly this kind of application. It is the
*perfect* material for this job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

It won't be replacing polyester filler in my toolbox because of the
slow setting time, but it sounds like it might be handy for delicate
work on the edge of mouldings etc where the long open time would be a
benefit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 12:09:30 +0100, Bruce
wrote:

I can only conclude that you have never used it yourself,
or that you have strangely sticky hands.

eewwww
--

blackbat /\x/\
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Yes, it would be good for that. It's open for about 40 minutes at
room temperature, about an hour and a half out of the fridge. You can
also add to it when it has set. It's brilliant stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

For larger quantities of casting including clear and GRP resins
Glasplies

http://www.glasplies.co.uk

for smaller quantities of epoxy putty, Poundland have had various
branded tubes recently, Poundland`s Maxi-Bond plastic adhesive just
doid a great repair on a Landrover tailight, big brand hard plastic
glue about 4 quid a tube..

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi all. Maybe not strictly DIY but you've been helpful in here before.

For all those that replied to this post, I used Milliput in the end.
Appears to have worked very well; used a piece of granite as a base
and the Milliput as a 'chunky' adhesive.
Thanks for your replies.
--

blackbat /\x/\
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi all. Maybe not strictly DIY but you've been helpful in here before.

For all those that replied to this post, I used Milliput in the end.
Appears to have worked very well; used a piece of granite as a base
and the Milliput as a 'chunky' adhesive.
Thanks for your replies.

You're welcome. This is exactly the sort of job that Milliput is made
for, and it is very widely used. I'm glad it went OK for you.