Posted to uk.d-i-y
blackbat blackbat is offline

Default Suitable modelling cement or similar.

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 00:00:49 +0100, Dave Osborne
wrote:

Well I didn't mention it because I'm not convinced it's the right
solution. To get a tennis ball-sized lump of Milliput, you would need
several packets. Just to mix it up would be very hard work and take you
the best part of a very long time . I don't know what the working time
is offhand, but by the time you've mixed up the fifth or sixth packet,
the first may well be going off and this is before you've tried to embed
the glass and pebbles, which may not have a good initial adhesion as you
would need to use a significant amount of water to stop it sticking to
your hands.

Worth a try on a small scale, maybe, but I wouldn't contemplate making a
tennis-ball sized lump.

What I decided after considering everyone's ideas, is to try Milliput
but (instead of making a tennis ball sized blob as I originally
pictured) use it as an an adhesive to stick the glass pieces to a
large piece of attractive white granite that I have.
I chose the Milliput because it was available in white.

The pebbles are from Lake Como in Italy are grey and I'm guessing have
some kind of ore in them that makes them glitter. The kids were
delighted to find them. They'll be fine in the ordinary (and cheaper)
grey Milliput.

As the OP has ordered some, perhaps he will be kind enough to let us
know how he gets on.

Sure thing.
--

blackbat /\x/\