Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Suitable modelling cement or similar.

Bruce wrote:
On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 00:00:49 +0100, Dave Osborne
wrote:
Well I didn't mention it because I'm not convinced it's the right
solution. To get a tennis ball-sized lump of Milliput, you would need
several packets. Just to mix it up would be very hard work and take you
the best part of a very long time . I don't know what the working time
is offhand, but by the time you've mixed up the fifth or sixth packet,
the first may well be going off and this is before you've tried to embed
the glass and pebbles, which may not have a good initial adhesion as you
would need to use a significant amount of water to stop it sticking to
your hands.

I've used Milliput for a very long time and have never had any
problems. If you're doing a job where slow setting is required, you
just put it in the fridge before using it. If you want it to set
quickly you can then put it in a low oven (heat to 70C then turn the
oven off, then put in the item).

It would be very silly indeed to use a large tennis ball-sized blob of
Milliput - just use it over a former, such as a piece of wood or brick
or a suitably sized stone.

And it doesn't stick to your hands to anything like the extent that
you claim. I can only conclude that you have never used it yourself,
or that you have strangely sticky hands.

Milliput is very widely used by a great many model makers and by arts
and crafts workers for exactly this kind of application. It is the
*perfect* material for this job.

It won't be replacing polyester filler in my toolbox because of the
slow setting time, but it sounds like it might be handy for delicate
work on the edge of mouldings etc where the long open time would be a
benefit.