Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler control

Hi All,

I'm looking for a better way to control our boiler and I'd appreciate
advice from the group.

We have a Baxi 133 HE plus (combi), but we daftly thought the cheap
manual controller would suffice (a dial on the front of the boiler
with radially arranged switches). We'd like to dramatically increase
our control over the heating circuit. At the least, we'd like to be
able to program two on/off cycles per day, with each day configurable.
At best, I'd like thermostatic control too, although I'm not sure
where it would be best placed.

Can anyone advise me on controllers, thermostats and whether/how I can
fit them to the Baxi?

Thanks - Adam...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam
wibbled on Monday 12 October 2009 19:42

Hi All,

I'm looking for a better way to control our boiler and I'd appreciate
advice from the group.

We have a Baxi 133 HE plus (combi), but we daftly thought the cheap
manual controller would suffice (a dial on the front of the boiler
with radially arranged switches). We'd like to dramatically increase
our control over the heating circuit. At the least, we'd like to be
able to program two on/off cycles per day, with each day configurable.
At best, I'd like thermostatic control too, although I'm not sure
where it would be best placed.

Can anyone advise me on controllers, thermostats and whether/how I can
fit them to the Baxi?

Thanks - Adam...

There's an infinite choice...

There's loads of electronic 7 day programmers in B&Q (eg Sunvic)

If you want thermostatic (eg a 4 level temperature curve, per day is quite
common) you could try Heatmiser (google). Some of those have remote probe
options (probably limited to a few metres) but that could allow you to
place the controller near the circuit and run the probe to the next room.

Any boiler can be controlled by any timer/stat as there should at least have
a pair of terminals marked as demand or thermostat or call for heat or
similar (it was common in the old days to put the stat in the hall or main
room even if the timer was in or next to the boiler).

As long as your controller can switch mains voltages then it will be fine.

Another option are the Honeywell radio ones (CM Zone), where you put the
boiler relay (with radio receiver) near the boiler and the timer/stat can
go in any room. With the right model series you can bind multiple (up to 4
IIRC) timer/stats to one relay. I'll look it up if you want more info.

Others also make radio systems - agin, if interested I'll give you some
links.

HTH

Tim

HTH

Tim

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:42:18 -0700 (PDT), Adam wrote:

Hi All,

I'm looking for a better way to control our boiler and I'd appreciate
advice from the group.

We have a Baxi 133 HE plus (combi), but we daftly thought the cheap
manual controller would suffice (a dial on the front of the boiler
with radially arranged switches). We'd like to dramatically increase
our control over the heating circuit. At the least, we'd like to be
able to program two on/off cycles per day, with each day configurable.
At best, I'd like thermostatic control too, although I'm not sure
where it would be best placed.

Can anyone advise me on controllers, thermostats and whether/how I can
fit them to the Baxi?

Thanks - Adam...

It all depends how much control you want. One of the radio linked
timer/stats is quite flexible, as you can move it to whichever room you're
occupying. At the other extreme, we have a motorised valve and a timer/stat
in every room, allowing complete control of time and temperature throughout
the house. We've even got one in the bathroom (battery powered stats, 12V
from a safety transformer and relays to operate the valves - this allows
all the stats to be wired with alarm cable too, neatly clipped to door
frames, etc and no worries if the kids damage the cables.)

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:42:18 -0700 (PDT), Adam wrote:

Can anyone advise me on controllers, thermostats and whether/how I can
fit them to the Baxi?

I'd go for a 7 day programmable room thermostat. This allows
different temperatures to set for different times (normal 4 or 6
times/day) independantly on each of the 7 days of the week.

A wireless based one will make installation easier. You just have a
reciever that you wire in close to the boiler and the stat/programmer
uses RF to tell the receiver to switch the boiler on. You can also
move the stat around if you want.

Note that the room with the stat in it shouldn't have any other
thermosat trying to control the same room or they will "fight".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tom Tom is offline

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:42:18 -0700 (PDT), Adam wrote:

Can anyone advise me on controllers, thermostats and whether/how I can
fit them to the Baxi?

I'd go for a 7 day programmable room thermostat. This allows
different temperatures to set for different times (normal 4 or 6
times/day) independantly on each of the 7 days of the week.

A wireless based one will make installation easier. You just have a
reciever that you wire in close to the boiler and the stat/programmer
uses RF to tell the receiver to switch the boiler on. You can also
move the stat around if you want.

Note that the room with the stat in it shouldn't have any other
thermosat trying to control the same room or they will "fight".

--
Cheers
Dave.

I can second that Dave, i had a wireless stat system installed a month or so
ago when i had a new boiler put in. I leave the boiler "on" and control the
heating from the stat. I have not bothered fixing it to a wall yet as it is
great to move it around the house, however the cold weather will be the real
test!

Tom

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Adam
writes
Hi All,

I'm looking for a better way to control our boiler and I'd appreciate
advice from the group.

We have a Baxi 133 HE plus (combi), but we daftly thought the cheap
manual controller would suffice (a dial on the front of the boiler
with radially arranged switches). We'd like to dramatically increase
our control over the heating circuit. At the least, we'd like to be
able to program two on/off cycles per day, with each day configurable.
At best, I'd like thermostatic control too, although I'm not sure
where it would be best placed.

Can anyone advise me on controllers, thermostats and whether/how I can
fit them to the Baxi?

Fit what you like, the pcb only sees it as a switch

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:42:18 -0700, Adam wrote:

Can anyone advise me on controllers, thermostats and whether/how I can
fit them to the Baxi?

As others have noted a programmable thermostat will probably give you the
best control, and there are many makes & models of these. The ones I find
easiest to set and program are the Honeywell CM series e.g. CM907 7-day
wired or CM927 (or sometimes known as CMT927) wireless stat.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

I used to be forgetful but now I ... um ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam wrote:

Hi All,

I'm looking for a better way to control our boiler and I'd appreciate
advice from the group.

We have a Baxi 133 HE plus (combi), but we daftly thought the cheap
manual controller would suffice (a dial on the front of the boiler
with radially arranged switches). We'd like to dramatically increase
our control over the heating circuit. At the least, we'd like to be
able to program two on/off cycles per day, with each day configurable.
At best, I'd like thermostatic control too, although I'm not sure
where it would be best placed.

Can anyone advise me on controllers, thermostats and whether/how I can
fit them to the Baxi?

Thanks - Adam...

I can't find an installation guide for your exact model - but the electrical
connections are likely to be similar to those shown on Page 31 of
http://www.baxi.co.uk/docs/Baxi_Comb...r uctions.pdf

Remove the link between terminals 1 and 2, and connect each to one of the
switching contacts of just about any wired or wireless programmable stat of
your choice. Leave the boiler's manual control set to 'on' - and program the
stat to turn the heating on and off, and control the temperature of each
'on' period, several times a day, as required.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adam" wrote in message
Hi All,

I'm looking for a better way to control our boiler and I'd appreciate
advice from the group.

We have a Baxi 133 HE plus (combi), but we daftly thought the cheap
manual controller would suffice (a dial on the front of the boiler
with radially arranged switches). We'd like to dramatically increase
our control over the heating circuit. At the least, we'd like to be
able to program two on/off cycles per day, with each day configurable.
At best, I'd like thermostatic control too, although I'm not sure
where it would be best placed.

Can anyone advise me on controllers, thermostats and whether/how I can
fit them to the Baxi?

Your boiler has an integral flow switch to switch out the burner and pump if
the flow is below a set rate. This means TRVs can be fitted all around.

Your best option is fit TRVs all around on every rad - then individual and
"independent" temperature control of each room. Then fit a Horstman single
channel programmer. DO NOT get a stat/programmer or wall stat. This
programmer can be fitted anywhere convenient - under stairs, in kitchen,
etc.

Use the features your boiler gives - the ability to have TRVs on all rads.
A centralised stat means the whole system can be switched off even though
some rooms are calling heat. You then have no cables running to stats in
halls or living rooms and no ugly stats on the wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"Adam" wrote in message
[...]

Look at single channel timers:
http://www.bes.co.uk/?ref=bes.co.uk
Look at No. 12143

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adam" wrote in message
Hi All,

I'm looking for a better way to control our boiler and I'd appreciate
advice from the group.

We have a Baxi 133 HE plus (combi), but we daftly thought the cheap
manual controller would suffice (a dial on the front of the boiler
with radially arranged switches). We'd like to dramatically increase
our control over the heating circuit. At the least, we'd like to be
able to program two on/off cycles per day, with each day configurable.
At best, I'd like thermostatic control too, although I'm not sure
where it would be best placed.

Can anyone advise me on controllers, thermostats and whether/how I can
fit them to the Baxi?

Your boiler has an integral flow switch to switch out the burner and pump
if the flow is below a set rate. This means TRVs can be fitted all
around.

So when the boiler flow witch has turned off the pump and there is no flow
how does it switch back on?
This will happen every time all the TVRs close so what does switch it back
on when the valves open but there is no flow due to the pump being off?

Your best option is fit TRVs all around on every rad - then individual and
"independent" temperature control of each room. Then fit a Horstman
single channel programmer. DO NOT get a stat/programmer or wall stat.
This programmer can be fitted anywhere convenient - under stairs, in
kitchen, etc.

Use the features your boiler gives - the ability to have TRVs on all rads.
A centralised stat means the whole system can be switched off even though
some rooms are calling heat. You then have no cables running to stats in
halls or living rooms and no ugly stats on the wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adam" wrote in message
[...]

I believe the boiler periodically turned the pump to test if there is any
flow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 12, 10:47 pm, YAPH wrote:

The ones I find
easiest to set and program are the Honeywell CM series e.g. CM907 7-day
wired or CM927 (or sometimes known as CMT927) wireless stat.

Perhaps this is what you meant, but the CMT927 is the wireless version
of the CM927. The latter being the updated replacement for the CM907.

Either way I'd agree that they are very good programmers with some
useful features.

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 16, 11:32 pm, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Oct 12, 10:47 pm, YAPH wrote:

The ones I find
easiest to set and program are the Honeywell CM series e.g. CM907 7-day
wired or CM927 (or sometimes known as CMT927) wireless stat.

Perhaps this is what you meant, but the CMT927 is the wireless version
of the CM927. The latter being the updated replacement for the CM907.

Oops... Scrap all that - I was thinking of the old CM67 - that's
what's been replaced by the CM9## series.

Apologies for any confusion,

Mathew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Your boiler has an integral flow switch to switch out the burner and pump
if the flow is below a set rate. This means TRVs can be fitted all
around.

Your best option is fit TRVs all around on every rad - then individual
and "independent" temperature control of each room. Then fit a Horstman
single channel programmer. DO NOT get a stat/programmer or wall stat.
This programmer can be fitted anywhere convenient - under stairs, in
kitchen, etc.

I would go with

You would, but you haven't a clue about heating.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 15:36:55 -0700, Mathew Newton wrote:

Oops... Scrap all that - I was thinking of the old CM67 - that's
what's been replaced by the CM9## series.

Apologies for any confusion,

No probs. If you want some further confusion there's a (slightly cheaper)
7xx series which is a landlords' version of the 9xx series. It doesn't
have the prompt text on the display (so more like the CM67x), I think
maybe it doesn't have a backlight(?), is missing some other features
(holiday mode maybe? I forget), and I think it has something like a
400-day nag for service (supposed to ensure the system gets looked at
annually, e.g. for a Landlord's Gas Safety).

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
Doctor Drivel wrote:

Your boiler has an integral flow switch to switch out the burner and
pump if the flow is below a set rate. This means TRVs can be fitted
all around.

Your best option is fit TRVs all around on every rad - then individual
and "independent" temperature control of each room. Then fit a
Horstman single channel programmer. DO NOT get a stat/programmer or
wall stat. This programmer can be fitted anywhere convenient - under
stairs, in kitchen, etc.

I would go with

You would, but you haven't a clue about heating.

Well I guess if the op wants a system with limited functionality he could
take your advice.

I have explained the stat/progs to you on other threads. Read them again.

To the others. This boiler is one of the few that can cope with TRVs all
around and no nuisnace central stat. I doubt he knows that. If Baxi had a
good reputation for reliability, they would sell a lot of these boilers.
Cheap and quick to install and the customer satisfied as TRVs all around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adam" wrote in message
[...]

No, the pump runs continuously, with the water going round
the internal bypass loop.

The instructions recommend fitting a roomstat, in which
case the pump won't run continuously.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...

This is the consensus among the members of your elite club called "One
more TRV please!" no doubt? Now recruiting new members with the slogan:
"We desperately need one extra TRV, and we don't like prog stats - the
nasty electronic new fangled things"

There is only one proper way to control wet CH and that is zone timer+stats
and valves in the correct places.
All the others like a room stat + trvs, "plans" with three way valves, are
compromises that work OK in some circumstances but are less efficient.
My five zone 28 year old system runs on less energy than most (same sized)
modern systems with their condensing boilers and TRVs ever will and it runs
at the time and temp I want. You don't even need to switch it off in summer,
it does that all by its self, *if* it needs to.
TRV are just a bodge intended to be retro fitted but some fool has decided
they should be fitted in place of a proper control system just because
plumbers can't do proper systems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

"Adam" wrote in message
[...]

The Bxi/Pott boilers that had the flow switch were advertised as being
capable of have TRVs all around. Maybe another boiler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message

Well I guess if the op wants a system with limited functionality he
could take your advice.

I have explained the stat/progs to you on other threads. Read them
again.

Yes,

Stick to electronic toys, heavy jewellery, tattoos and bull terriers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...

This is the consensus among the members of your elite club called "One
more TRV please!" no doubt? Now recruiting new members with the slogan:
"We desperately need one extra TRV, and we don't like prog stats - the
nasty electronic new fangled things"

There is only one proper way to control wet CH and that is zone
timer+stats and valves in the correct places.

There isn't. There are a number of ways of doing. it. Do not comment, as it
know it all, on topics you know little.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
There is only one proper way to control wet CH and that is zone
timer+stats and valves in the correct places. All the others like a room
stat + trvs, "plans" with three way valves, are compromises that work OK
in some circumstances but are less efficient. My five zone 28 year old
system runs on less energy than most (same sized) modern systems with
their condensing boilers and TRVs ever will and it runs at the time and
temp I want. You don't even need to switch it off in summer, it does
that all by its self, *if* it needs to. TRV are just a bodge intended to
be retro fitted but some fool has decided they should be fitted in place
of a proper control system just because plumbers can't do proper
systems.

The only difference between a zone for each room and using TRVs is how
accurate the temperature sensor is in each case. And a single sensor is
never going to give an accurate temperature for all of a room.

BTW - if your system is 'efficient' at moment, it will be more so with a
modern boiler.

--
*If a mute swears, does his mother wash his hands with soap?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
[...]

But never repay the costs.. either in cash or CO2.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
There is only one proper way to control wet CH and that is zone
timer+stats and valves in the correct places.

[...]
The only difference between a zone for each room and using TRVs is how
accurate the temperature sensor is in each case.

A zone stat will include a switch to signal demand, a TRV doesn't.
(Yes, you can get programmable TRVs with radio switching - that's
just sticking the zone state in the valve head.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
BTW - if your system is 'efficient' at moment, it will be more so with
a modern boiler.

But never repay the costs.. either in cash or CO2.

The way gas prices are going I wouldn't be too sure. What is your annual
bill?

--
*Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 20:53:41 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

But never repay the costs.. either in cash or CO2.

I think if you do the sums you can repay the costs of going from a
dinosaur boiler with a standing pilot light and SEDBUK of about 65% to a
modern high efficiency boiler, at current gas prices and interest rates,
for fairly normal houses and consumption patterns. Of course you're still
taking a punt on interest rates not going up and/or gas prices going down
during the payback period, but then just about every decision you make in
Real Life (tm) is a punt of some sort ....

CO2 is probably a harder one to account for.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Thesaurus: extinct reptile noted for its extensive vocabulary.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
There is only one proper way to control wet CH and that is zone
timer+stats and valves in the correct places.

[...]
The only difference between a zone for each room and using TRVs is how
accurate the temperature sensor is in each case.

A zone stat will include a switch to signal demand, a TRV doesn't.

You site the main house stat in the area of most demand.

(Yes, you can get programmable TRVs with radio switching - that's
just sticking the zone state in the valve head.)

I can see zoning being useful in commercial premises but not really worth
the bother in the average house. Unless it's set up to alter temperatures
in each area automatically. And you have door closers everywhere.

--
*Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adam" wrote in message
[...]

I have the brochure on the HE plus range in pdf. It states

"Flow switch fitted as standard -
Part L compliance via flow switch
for fully TRV'd systems, which means
no room stat or bypass required."

It is clear this boiler can have TRVs on all rads and no central room stat.
You have the wrong boiler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I can see zoning being useful in commercial premises but not really worth
the bother in the average house. Unless it's set up to alter temperatures
in each area automatically. And you have door closers everywhere.

I can't imagine anyone bothering with zones but not bothering with
programmable ones. Most people are capable of closing doors themselves
(especially people with pets they don't want everywhere in the house).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Alan Braggins" wrote in message
In article , Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I can see zoning being useful in commercial premises but not really worth
the bother in the average house. Unless it's set up to alter temperatures
in each area automatically. And you have door closers everywhere.

I can't imagine anyone bothering with zones but not bothering with
programmable ones. Most people are capable of closing doors themselves
(especially people with pets they don't want everywhere in the house).

If there is TRVs all around people will tune off rads, because of the big
knob - as peopel turn off gas fires in rooms. They will use it even more,
if the TRV is set off the rad using extensions. People don't like their
knuckles sraping the rad as the turn the knob.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adam" wrote in message
[...]

I didn't say it didn't. I described how it works if you do that.

You have the wrong boiler.

You seem to have imagined something I didn't say.
I read the installation instructions, where it describes in detail
how it works. Also clearly states it's more efficient if a roomstat
is used (although it's not essential).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adam" wrote in message
[...]

I didn't say it didn't.

You clearly implied it couldnot TRVs all around.

You have the wrong boiler.

You seem to have imagined something I didn't say.

Read what you wrote again.

I read the installation instructions, where it describes in detail
how it works. Also clearly states it's more efficient if a roomstat
is used (although it's not essential).

The point was that it can be fitted with TRVs all around. I can't see where
it is more efficient. I detect rear end covering by them. TRVs are the
scourge of the boiler manufacturers. They like high flows through the
boilers. TRVs reduce flow. That is where heat bank/thermal stores score
over direct rad systems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

It is clear this boiler can have TRVs on all rads and no central room
stat.

I didn't say it didn't.

You clearly implied it could not TRVs all around.

For goodness sake

Please take your bull terrier for a walk.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
Doctor Drivel wrote:

If there is TRVs all around people will tune off rads, because of the big
knob - as peopel turn off gas fires in rooms. They will use it even
more, if the TRV is set off the rad using extensions. People don't like
their knuckles sraping the rad as the turn the knob.

Could we have that again in English please?

Just for you. Boiled beef and carrots, boiled beef and carrots.