Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler control

In article ,
"Doctor Drivel" writes:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Doctor Drivel" writes:

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"Adam" wrote in message
Hi All,

I'm looking for a better way to control our boiler and I'd appreciate
advice from the group.

We have a Baxi 133 HE plus (combi), but we daftly thought the cheap
manual controller would suffice (a dial on the front of the boiler
with radially arranged switches). We'd like to dramatically increase
our control over the heating circuit. At the least, we'd like to be
able to program two on/off cycles per day, with each day configurable.
At best, I'd like thermostatic control too, although I'm not sure
where it would be best placed.

Can anyone advise me on controllers, thermostats and whether/how I can
fit them to the Baxi?

Your boiler has an integral flow switch to switch out the burner and
pump
if the flow is below a set rate. This means TRVs can be fitted all
around.

So when the boiler flow witch has turned off the
pump and there is no flow how does it switch back on?

I believe the boiler periodically turned the pump to test if there is any
flow.

No, the pump runs continuously, with the water going round
the internal bypass loop.

The instructions recommend fitting a roomstat, in which
case the pump won't run continuously.

I have the brochure on the HE plus range in pdf. It states

"Flow switch fitted as standard -
Part L compliance via flow switch
for fully TRV'd systems, which means
no room stat or bypass required."

It is clear this boiler can have TRVs on all rads and no central room stat.

I didn't say it didn't. I described how it works if you do that.

You have the wrong boiler.

You seem to have imagined something I didn't say.
I read the installation instructions, where it describes in detail
how it works. Also clearly states it's more efficient if a roomstat
is used (although it's not essential).

--
Andrew Gabriel