Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel[_2_] Doctor Drivel[_2_] is offline

Default Boiler control

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"Adam" wrote in message
Hi All,

I'm looking for a better way to control our boiler and I'd appreciate
advice from the group.

We have a Baxi 133 HE plus (combi), but we daftly thought the cheap
manual controller would suffice (a dial on the front of the boiler
with radially arranged switches). We'd like to dramatically increase
our control over the heating circuit. At the least, we'd like to be
able to program two on/off cycles per day, with each day configurable.
At best, I'd like thermostatic control too, although I'm not sure
where it would be best placed.

Can anyone advise me on controllers, thermostats and whether/how I can
fit them to the Baxi?

Your boiler has an integral flow switch to switch out the burner and pump
if the flow is below a set rate. This means TRVs can be fitted all
around.

Your best option is fit TRVs all around on every rad - then individual and
"independent" temperature control of each room. Then fit a Horstman
single channel programmer. DO NOT get a stat/programmer or wall stat.
This programmer can be fitted anywhere convenient - under stairs, in
kitchen, etc.

Use the features your boiler gives - the ability to have TRVs on all rads.
A centralised stat means the whole system can be switched off even though
some rooms are calling heat. You then have no cables running to stats in
halls or living rooms and no ugly stats on the wall.

Look at single channel timers:
http://www.bes.co.uk/?ref=bes.co.uk
Look at No. 12143