Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default insect screen ?

Large cladding job underway on external building.

The job has a brick dwarf wall, on which is standard 150mm OSB clad timber
frame panels ... this is vertically battened (underway now) then will have
Thermowood cladding (shiplap pattern)

The bottom (1st) run of shiplap will effectively have a gap running along
it's bottom edge, between every vertical; batten .. this I can see being a
very desirable place for spiders, wasps etc.
I can't bock this off as it needs to allow airflow for ventilation, and
water drainage for any rain that gets through.

I need to put some for of insect screen to fill this gap, before I fix first
run of cladding.

Anybody know if I can get a roll (or easily cut sheet) of some form of
insect screen that will last ...... and if so where from.

A Google about has only come across it in the sheets for doors/windows, not
sure if that stuff will last.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-10-03, Rick Hughes wrote:

Anybody know if I can get a roll (or easily cut sheet) of some form of
insect screen that will last ...... and if so where from.

A Google about has only come across it in the sheets for doors/windows,
not
sure if that stuff will last.

It's usually PVC coated fibreglass, and virtually indestructible. The fly
screens I made over 10 years ago are still going strong...

been given a link to HDPE mesh sold by the metre ....
not sure if HDPE will be as long lasting - any idea?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-10-03, Rick Hughes wrote:

Anybody know if I can get a roll (or easily cut sheet) of some form of
insect screen that will last ...... and if so where from.

A Google about has only come across it in the sheets for doors/windows,
not
sure if that stuff will last.

It's usually PVC coated fibreglass, and virtually indestructible. The fly
screens I made over 10 years ago are still going strong...

been given a link to HDPE mesh sold by the metre ....
not sure if HDPE will be as long lasting - any idea?

Lasts well as water pipes.

I've a couple of 500ml bottles that are about 35 yeras old; had
hydrofluoric acid in originally, then a few years with a liquid CFC in; now
1 is used for water on my shopping bike (not for drinking - just in case of
a puncture) and there's no sign of cracking or other degradation.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wouldn't this be a place to use a breathable building fabric?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/10/09 14:15, RubberBiker wrote:

Wouldn't this be a place to use a breathable building fabric?

Wouldn't let water out which the O/P wants

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:
[...]

Fine mesh net curtain? Look in Caravan shops - an impregnated net is
sold for use in caravans. Alternatively look for fine mesh expanded
aluminium in sheds etc

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message
Large cladding job underway on external building.

The job has a brick dwarf wall, on which is standard 150mm OSB clad timber
frame panels ... this is vertically battened (underway now) then will have
Thermowood cladding (shiplap pattern)

The bottom (1st) run of shiplap will effectively have a gap running along
it's bottom edge, between every vertical; batten .. this I can see being a
very desirable place for spiders, wasps etc.
I can't bock this off as it needs to allow airflow for ventilation, and
water drainage for any rain that gets through.

I need to put some for of insect screen to fill this gap, before I fix
first run of cladding.

Anybody know if I can get a roll (or easily cut sheet) of some form of
insect screen that will last ...... and if so where from.

http://www.bridgwaterfilters.co.uk/w...lded-mesh.html

You want their 57 micron hole stainless steel mesh

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:

"nightjar .me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message

Anybody know if I can get a roll (or easily cut sheet) of some form
of insect screen that will last ...... and if so where from.

http://www.bridgwaterfilters.co.uk/w...lded-mesh.html

You want their 57 micron hole stainless steel mesh

Colin Bignell

Thnx

Try

www.meshdirect.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"aswell13" wrote in message
Rick Hughes wrote:

"nightjar .me.uk" cpb@insert my surname here wrote in message

Anybody know if I can get a roll (or easily cut sheet) of some form of
insect screen that will last ...... and if so where from.

http://www.bridgwaterfilters.co.uk/w...lded-mesh.html

You want their 57 micron hole stainless steel mesh

Colin Bignell

Thnx

Try

www.meshdirect.co.uk

Their insect screen mesh appears to have an aperture size of 1.1mm
(standard) or 1.2mm (heavy duty), which will not stop all insects.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Rick Hughes"
saying something like:

Anybody know if I can get a roll (or easily cut sheet) of some form of
insect screen that will last ...... and if so where from.

Farm supply store. Yellow Pages.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 11:47:10 +0100, Rick Hughes wrote:
A Google about has only come across it in the sheets for doors/windows, not
sure if that stuff will last.

I think it'll do about 20 years, judging by mozzie screens I've seen over
here. I suppose that's a reasonable sort of timeframe between maintenance
- long enough that there'll be other things needing doing by then, too.

If using that stuff, I think you might want to think of ways to make your
life easy when it does need re-doing, so maybe some sort of removeable
framework or something rather than pinning the sheet itself directly to
the structure.

cheers

Jules

What insect is this? [email protected] Home Repair 28 October 10th 06 09:06 AM
Insect in Outside Wall KB Home Repair 6 August 19th 06 11:52 PM
Insect inside my tv .. Indu Prakash Electronics Repair 1 September 26th 05 05:34 PM
insect detector Jasen Betts Electronics 0 August 13th 05 10:36 AM
Insect Screen GroovyGran UK diy 7 June 19th 05 08:02 PM