Junior Member

Location: Manchester, UK
Angry Insect Screen

I am trying to find out if there is anywhere my husband can buy the parts to make our own insect screen?
We have looked at some on the web, but they are expensive. We like the sliding window option, as our bedroom window is quite wide. We live near a lake and get lot's of mosquitos at night.
We have bought the cheap version (velcro and net) and it does work, but soon becomes torn and dirty!
I have searched for window runners etc on the net, but to no avail!
any ideas

regards Gran
Alan

In message , GroovyGran
wrote

We live
near a lake and get lot's of mosquitos at night.

The environmentally friendly solution is to recycle a waste product that
the majority of the population have. Go down to the lake and pour a
small amount of old engine oil into it. The mosquitos lava will be
unable to develop into the flying nuisance you are experiencing.

--
Alan

BigWallop

"GroovyGran" wrote in message

I am trying to find out if there is anywhere my husband can buy the
parts to make our own insect screen?
We have looked at some on the web, but they are expensive. We like the
sliding window option, as our bedroom window is quite wide. We live
near a lake and get lot's of mosquitos at night.
We have bought the cheap version (velcro and net) and it does work, but
soon becomes torn and dirty!
I have searched for window runners etc on the net, but to no avail!
any ideas

regards Gran
GroovyGran

Cheese cloth is an ideal mesh size for an insect screen. It allows light
through pretty well uninterrupted and it can be seen through easily. And
best of all, it is cheap to buy from most local cloth shops.

Oliver

Theres a company that produces these in australia (Theres a uk supplier cant
find it right now tho) this screen fits over the door and when locked will
completly secure your house, sledge hammers/knives etc wont penetrate it,
ive seen it work and it does.

raden

In message , Alan
writes
In message , GroovyGran
wrote

We live
near a lake and get lot's of mosquitos at night.

The environmentally friendly solution is to recycle a waste product
that the majority of the population have. Go down to the lake and pour
a small amount of old engine oil into it. The mosquitos lava will be
unable to develop into the flying nuisance you are experiencing.

And kill off lots of other wildlife too

--
geoff

Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

raden wrote:

And kill off lots of other wildlife too

I really can't believe you actually took that post seriously!

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk

Oliver wrote:
Theres a company that produces these in australia (Theres a uk supplier cant
find it right now tho) this screen fits over the door and when locked will
completly secure your house, sledge hammers/knives etc wont penetrate it,
ive seen it work and it does.

Wouldn't be this one would it
http://www.crimsafe.com.au
?

http://gymratz.co.uk/hot-seat.htm - Live web-cam! (sometimes)
raden

In message , "Pet @
www.gymratz.co.uk" writes
raden wrote:

And kill off lots of other wildlife too

I really can't believe you actually took that post seriously!

It happens ...

--
geoff