Posted to alt.home.repair
KB KB is offline

Default Insect in Outside Wall

I realize this may be somewhat off topic, but I can't find another group
that would handle this type of issue on usenet. I've also googled
extensively, but haven't found anything worthwile (other than beehive
removal, which I don't think applies here). So I hope it's OK to post this
here. I hope to PREVENT any extensive home repairs at any rate.

I live in a concrete block building in Florida. In the past few days, I've
heard a buzzing sound about twice a day inside the one outside wall. I only
hear it at about 8:30 a.m. and again at about 2 p.m. Other than that things
are quiet. I've already called in a bug expert who specializes in bees and
such. He seems to think it's a solitary wasp that is getting in somewhere,
but he couldn't seen where it may be entering the house.

I have spent some time outside monitoring the area and haven't seen any
activity. He suggested that he could "dust" the area, but that it wasn't
really worth him charging me for it (he checked the problem out for free,
but would have to charge a service call if he did anything -- he was very
nice about this, but not nice enough to tell me what I could do myself ).
This leads me to my question: What can be done here? Is there a particular
product that I could dust the general area with myself? Should I drill a
hole in the wall and spray or dust inside it? (I can't pinpoint the exact
location between the studs though, so it may require several holes) Or is
there a kind of bait that would work and also serve to destroy any potential
nest? If so, where would I best place it?

Since I can hear the buzzing sound quite clearly, I assume that the insect
is between the concrete block and the drywall. And since I only hear it for
short periods of time, but on a semi-regular basis, I assume that it is
indeed a solitary insect (at least so far). Of course there was no buzzing
when the bug guy was here, so he never did hear it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
KB

Posted to alt.home.repair

pound or hit wall with fist to check occupancy, basically wrap on door
say hi...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar Lar is offline

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 13:22:47 GMT, "KB" wrote:

I have spent some time outside monitoring the area and haven't seen any
activity. He suggested that he could "dust" the area, but that it wasn't
really worth him charging me for it (he checked the problem out for free,
but would have to charge a service call if he did anything -- he was very
nice about this, but not nice enough to tell me what I could do myself ).
This leads me to my question: What can be done here? Is there a particular
product that I could dust the general area with myself? Should I drill a
hole in the wall and spray or dust inside it? (I can't pinpoint the exact
location between the studs though, so it may require several holes) Or is
there a kind of bait that would work and also serve to destroy any potential
nest? If so, where would I best place it?

I don't think you should just drill and treat without knowing what you
have. Guessing it is a type of mud dauber, which are harmless, and
treating with a dust should stop it but you need to find the entry way
and make sure what you are dealing with.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Dancing dog is back!
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/smartdog.wmv

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KB" wrote in message news:HgEFg.592$0J6.83@trnddc02...

Since I can hear the buzzing sound quite clearly, I assume that the insect
is between the concrete block and the drywall. And since I only hear it
for short periods of time, but on a semi-regular basis, I assume that it
is indeed a solitary insect (at least so far). Of course there was no
buzzing when the bug guy was here, so he never did hear it.

Try bee trap/bait and put it outside near the buzzing wall. Hardware store
sells them or you can buy online.

I saw on "this old house", one exterminator use a non-contact thermometer to
locate colony of bees inside the wall since they warm up the wall a little.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KB KB is offline

"peter" wrote in message

Try bee trap/bait and put it outside near the buzzing wall. Hardware store
sells them or you can buy online.

I saw on "this old house", one exterminator use a non-contact thermometer
to locate colony of bees inside the wall since they warm up the wall a
little.

Thanks Peter! I wasn't sure whether they made bait specifically for bees and
such, and the local hardware store was no help. I'll check it out online or
perhaps one of the smaller hardware stores can help me.

Also thanks to Lar. You're definitely right about not just drilling away.
That probably wouldn't have been very bright on my part. The exterminator
also checked to see where the insect might be entering, but also couldn't
tell. I had recently (about 4 weeks ago) sealed a minor gap between two
roofs, but he assured me that there was no way the insect could survive that
long, and of course I am enclined to agree. If the bait doesn't do it, I'll
have to camp outside and see if I can figure out where it's entering.

Thanks again to you both!

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

Since I can hear the buzzing sound quite clearly, I assume that the insect
is between the concrete block and the drywall. And since I only hear it for
short periods of time, but on a semi-regular basis, I assume that it is
indeed a solitary insect (at least so far). Of course there was no buzzing
when the bug guy was here, so he never did hear it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
KB

Very, very strange that you should hear it at such regular intervals.
Got an old battery alarm going off somewhere? Computer in room set to
do something at those times? ) We occ. get wasps building nests at top
of window recess and inside hurricane shutters, but they are outdoors
and easy to see. You should be able to see nests or entries outdoors,
if it is wasps. I don't know a Florida bug that buzzes inside walls.
Yellow jackets like to build inside walls, but there should be a crack
or crevice where they exit and enter. No sign of dead bugs or bug
parts, like wings, inside (on windowsills, around doors)?
Posted to alt.home.repair
KB KB is offline

"Norminn" wrote in message
ink.net...
clipped

Very, very strange that you should hear it at such regular intervals. Got
an old battery alarm going off somewhere? Computer in room set to do
something at those times? )

It's not totally regular, e.g. I heard it at 12:30 yesterday, and at about 2
p.m. the day before. But it's right around those times, once in the a.m. and
once in the early p.m., and I can only hear it twice a day. Definitely not
an old alarm, computer task or any such thing.

We occ. get wasps building nests at top

of window recess and inside hurricane shutters, but they are outdoors and
easy to see.

I get quite a few of those, too. Mud daubers and solitary wasps that build
paper nests (?). Never had one inside, but something is definitely buzzing
inside that wall!

You should be able to see nests or entries outdoors, if it is wasps. I
don't know a Florida bug that buzzes inside walls. Yellow jackets like to
build inside walls, but there should be a crack or crevice where they exit
and enter. No sign of dead bugs or bug parts, like wings, inside (on
windowsills, around doors)?

No debris anywhere, no bugs inside the house, no visible crevice, other than
a small space between a vent plate and the soffit that I sprayed today and
will seal tomorrow (part of the porch's flat roof though, so I don't think
there's anything that connects that particular part to the rest of the
house, as the roof ends at the concrete wall). Other than that, everything
within about 10 ft. of the wall looks sealed. Like I said, even the bug
expert couldn't see any issues. I'll definitely keep an eye out for debris
though. Maybe that'll lead me to it. Thanks for the hint!!

Cinder Block Retaining Wall Question [email protected] Home Repair 5 September 15th 05 06:12 PM
Deck Set on Retaining Wall jacktripper Home Repair 6 July 22nd 04 06:22 PM
Wall falling down? Alex UK diy 8 August 29th 03 10:54 AM
Dry Rock Retaining Wall RedHeadAllDay Home Repair 4 August 18th 03 02:12 PM
Retaining Wall in front of another Retaining Wall MCL Home Repair 0 July 11th 03 03:48 PM