Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting the soffit - Argos £69.99 Compound Mitre Saw

This was the job I mainly bought the saw for!

It cut through the facia plastic material (which was much thicker)
perfectly, but I had to cut lots of 300mm wide bits of very thin double
walled plastic soffit. Rather than cut them, it just ripped at them due
to its very course blade hooking onto the thin plastic.

I chased around all of the local tools emporiums for a finer blade, but
the fitted blade was as fine as they come as standard. Then I had the
bright idea of turning the blad around, so it rotated backwards. That
worked perfectly.

Be warned that getting to the Allen bolt fixing the blade is almost
impossible with the supplied key for blade changing, is next to
impossible. The blade guard and its linkage overlap the bolt. Luckily I
had a set of those ball ended Allen key sets, which allow the key to go
into the bolt at a slight angle.

After a late start, I mananaged to get one house side of the soffit +
facia + guttering completed, all but the fall pipe. Fall pipe and the
other side tomorrow.

Quotes for doing the job varied from £1100 to £1600, parts and labour.
Our materials cost was £151 and will have taken two of us two days to
complete - a bargain I think and the satisfaction of knowing it has
been done properly.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Nowt like the satisfaction that comes with doing a job yourself and saving
£1000+ in the process. Nice idea about turning the blade around too. One to
remember.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...

Quotes for doing the job varied from £1100 to £1600, parts and labour. Our
materials cost was £151 and will have taken two of us two days to
complete - a bargain I think and the satisfaction of knowing it has been
done properly.

Seems expensive to me, we had ours and next doors done together and we paid
£230 each.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home expressed precisely :

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...

Quotes for doing the job varied from £1100 to £1600, parts and labour. Our
materials cost was £151 and will have taken two of us two days to complete
- a bargain I think and the satisfaction of knowing it has been done
properly.

Seems expensive to me, we had ours and next doors done together and we paid
£230 each.

Just finished now. It took two of us, neither having done it before and
making do with one double extension and one ladder only useful to get
on a section of flat roof, two days - so yes it would have been
expensive.

This was for all new fall pipes, gutters, facias and soffits.

B&Q £20 Compound Mitre Saw Seri UK diy 0 January 9th 06 11:03 PM
Best Compound Mitre saw John Morphet Woodworking 9 September 3rd 05 10:46 PM
Cutting coving mitres? Argos cheapy mitre saw? dmc UK diy 17 April 8th 05 07:52 PM
Compound Mitre or TS Greg DeBacker Woodworking 19 July 23rd 03 03:11 AM
Help w/ Compound Mitre Greg DeBacker Woodworking 4 July 22nd 03 12:10 AM