dmc

Default Cutting coving mitres? Argos cheapy mitre saw?

Is there a trick to cutting mitres for coving? I'm trying to put up the Wickes
lightweight coving in our bedroom and am swearing at the mitres somewhat.

Wickes sell plastic templates for the 90 and 127 mm coving - this stuff is
100mm (SWMBO picked it - don't go there) but even if they did the template
in the correct size only 5 of th corners are 90 deg. I also have 4 in the
bay and a door at an odd angle.

Cutting it in my mitre saw (typical 10 quid cheapy) is a bit hit and miss
as a) it doesn't sit flat and b) the saw only locks in certain positions -
25deg not being one of them :-( The blade seems somewhat reluctant to cut
the polystyrene stuff anyway.

I've done a couple by eye with a hacksaw which given a bit of filler will
do but its a bit painful. I was tempted to buy a 40 quid electric mitre
saw from wickes earlier but part of me is telling me that at that price it
will be crap.

Looking in the argos catalogue I notice that I can get one for 26 quid - at
this price that is pretty much disposable and given the amount of coving
I am screwing up may pay for itself on this job alone! :-)

Anyone got one? Am I completely wasting my 26 quid? Will it lock to any angle
or is it stuck with the preset positions (which won't help me!) I'm not
expecting it to be much better than crap but its a chance of a new toy

Darren
tony sayer

In article , dmc writes

[...]

I've just done this using a mitre saw, a sort of frame thing with four
upright posts and a large hacksaw ish looking frame that holds the blade
that sits on some guides on the upright posts and its got a base thing
where you can set the upright pole thingies to whatever angle you like.

Seem to remember it cost around 15 to 20 quid B&Q IIRC....

Worked a treat
--
Tony Sayer

al

"dmc" wrote in message ...
Anyone got one? Am I completely wasting my 26 quid? Will it lock to any
angle
or is it stuck with the preset positions (which won't help me!) I'm not
expecting it to be much better than crap but its a chance of a new toy

Welcome to the hell I had a couple of weeks ago! I used a plain old
woodworking mitre box with 45 degree angles in it. I had 90mm coving, which
I then held at 45 degrees in the mitre box (not as hard as it sounds as it
sort of "fitted" quite well at that angle - something I could verify with my
spirit level).

I drew a diagram for left and for right for both internal and external
mitres (practice on some spare coving) that showed what way to bring the
coving into the box from and what 45 degree angle direction to cut in.
Result (after lots of experimentation!) was damn near perfect corners!

For odd angles around bay windows, etc. you'll have to get a bit more
creative. Personally, I'd just go and ask someone to cut them for me rather
then over-spending on adjustable equipment ... unless it's something you
think you'll do again. But maybe I'm lazy and have little love for coving

mark b

"dmc" wrote in message ...

Is there a trick to cutting mitres for coving? I'm trying to put up the
Wickes
lightweight coving in our bedroom and am swearing at the mitres somewhat.

What I do is cut an internal mitre set (and external if required). Off cuts
about a foot long will do. Hold them up in place and mark them LEFT and
RIGHT. These are your templates.

Keep them by your mitre saw. So when you want to cut a left hand mitre for
real you can use the left hand mitre template to figure out which way to set
the coving for cutting. Thus minimising visits from Mr and Mrs Cockup.

mark b

Mike

"dmc" wrote in message ...

Is there a trick to cutting mitres for coving? I'm trying to put up the

Wickes
lightweight coving in our bedroom and am swearing at the mitres somewhat.

The way I did the odd angles (ALL of them in my house) was to use a couple
of offcuts and hack them to the right positions at just the top and bottom
then mark these on the real stuff and draw in the shape needed from there
(experience soon teaches you which shape) and cut freehand with a woodsaw.

dmc

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:

I've just done this using a mitre saw, a sort of frame thing with four
upright posts and a large hacksaw ish looking frame that holds the blade
that sits on some guides on the upright posts and its got a base thing
where you can set the upright pole thingies to whatever angle you like.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough in my post. I have one of these (actually I
have two but don't go there...) but the problem is that they lock at angles
for "standard" corners. I need to cut loads of odd ones. For example, I want
a couple of 25 degree cuts. I did think 22.5 would be close enough with
some filler but seems not :-(

Darren

dmc

In article ,
al wrote:
"dmc" wrote in message ...
Anyone got one? Am I completely wasting my 26 quid? Will it lock to any
angle
or is it stuck with the preset positions (which won't help me!) I'm not
expecting it to be much better than crap but its a chance of a new toy

Welcome to the hell I had a couple of weeks ago! I used a plain old
woodworking mitre box with 45 degree angles in it. I had 90mm coving, which
I then held at 45 degrees in the mitre box (not as hard as it sounds as it
sort of "fitted" quite well at that angle - something I could verify with my
spirit level).

Yeah. This sort of worked for right angles. Although my mitre saws are not
the easiest to cut polystyrene (or whatever it is). A hacksaw works well
but of course doesn't fit in the mitre saw.

I drew a diagram for left and for right for both internal and external
mitres (practice on some spare coving) that showed what way to bring the
coving into the box from and what 45 degree angle direction to cut in.
Result (after lots of experimentation!) was damn near perfect corners!

I think I've grasped the angles needed now (longest lenght on the wall,
longest length on the wall, repeat to self ).

For odd angles around bay windows, etc. you'll have to get a bit more
creative. Personally, I'd just go and ask someone to cut them for me rather
then over-spending on adjustable equipment ... unless it's something you
think you'll do again. But maybe I'm lazy and have little love for coving

Well, I would use a powered mitre saw occasionally but I couldn't really
justify more than 30 quid. It is the chance to buy a new tool though

Still, with a bit of playing last night I managed to cut a few "by eye"
with a hacksaw - seemes to be ok and SWMBO is happy. Just 11 more to do...

Cheers,

Darren

Dave

dmc wrote:
[...]

For this job, yes. A powered mitre saw will just make your coving into a
mess!

If it were me I'd stick with the hacksaw and a good eye (and a bit of
filler!) if you can make it work for you.

dmc

In article ,
Dave wrote:

For this job, yes. A powered mitre saw will just make your coving into a
mess!

Bah. No fun :-(

If it were me I'd stick with the hacksaw and a good eye (and a bit of
filler!) if you can make it work for you.

Ok, will do. I'll treat myself to a new hacksaw blade though I think. It'll
be easier with one that is not twisted!

Darren

David Hearn

dmc wrote:
In article ,
tony sayer wrote:

I've just done this using a mitre saw, a sort of frame thing with
four upright posts and a large hacksaw ish looking frame that holds
the blade that sits on some guides on the upright posts and its got
a base thing where you can set the upright pole thingies to whatever
angle you like.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough in my post. I have one of these
(actually I have two but don't go there...) but the problem is that
they lock at angles for "standard" corners. I need to cut loads of
odd ones. For example, I want a couple of 25 degree cuts. I did think
22.5 would be close enough with some filler but seems not :-(

Darren

I've got a Wickes basic mitre saw and it can lock into the standard angles,
but the manual also says that if you undo the locking mechanism and remove a
washer, you can then screw it into any angle you want. Basically there's a
bolt which you can tighten - when the washer is in place then it doesn't
tighten fully so you can move the arm between standard angles, but without
the washer, when you tighten the screw it clamps fully - not relying on the
standard angle indents. Bit of a pain as you need to use an allen key each
time you want to alter the angle - but it worked.

I was doing stair balustrading needed to go slightly over 45 degrees in my
cuts, and this one wouldn't. In the end bought a reduced B&Q electric
compound mitre saw which did 45 deg one way and 50 deg or so the other.
Very cheap actually - either £25 or £35 - reduced from £50+ for some reason
(end of line?) - there was a whole pile of them though, so not just a return
cheapy etc. This was about a month/6 weeks ago. Very pleased with it
actually - although I need ear plugs when using it as it makes a right
racket, especially as it kicks in.

David

Lee

Dave wrote:

For this job, yes. A powered mitre saw will just make your coving into a
mess!

My powered mitre saw, with a decent 80 tooth blade and a very light
touch, can *just* about manage to cut this plastic coving without
melting it.

If it were me I'd stick with the hacksaw and a good eye (and a bit of
filler!) if you can make it work for you.

Yes, having had both tools to hand when we put up coving recently, it's
easier to use the hacksaw

Lee
--
Email address is valid, but is unlikely to be read.
al

"dmc" wrote in message ...
Yeah. This sort of worked for right angles. Although my mitre saws are not
the easiest to cut polystyrene (or whatever it is). A hacksaw works well
but of course doesn't fit in the mitre saw.

Probably too late to say it now, but the plaster based stuff is *much*
easier to work with IMO, once you've got the hang of things. Much nicer to
cut, sand, fill, paint, abuse, etc.! That and it's not a fire hazard!

dmc

In article ,
al wrote:

Probably too late to say it now, but the plaster based stuff is *much*
easier to work with IMO, once you've got the hang of things. Much nicer to
cut, sand, fill, paint, abuse, etc.! That and it's not a fire hazard!

Yeah, I know. Problem is the 127mm ones wouldn't fit over the bay and the
90mm one is too small according to SWMBO. The 100mm one was deemed "just
right".

couldn't tell the difference myself but hey ho.

Also, as I had to transport it back from Wickes with it sticking out of the
window of the car resting on the glass at least the lightweight stuff
was less likely to break the window

Darren

Dave

"Lee" wrote in message
Dave wrote:

If it were me I'd stick with the hacksaw and a good eye (and a bit of
filler!) if you can make it work for you.

Yes, having had both tools to hand when we put up coving recently, it's
easier to use the hacksaw

Yep, my experience exactly!

Dave

Mark

dmc wrote in message ...
In article ,
tony sayer wrote:

I've just done this using a mitre saw, a sort of frame thing with four
upright posts and a large hacksaw ish looking frame that holds the blade
that sits on some guides on the upright posts and its got a base thing
where you can set the upright pole thingies to whatever angle you like.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough in my post. I have one of these (actually I
have two but don't go there...) but the problem is that they lock at

angles
for "standard" corners. I need to cut loads of odd ones. For example, I

want
a couple of 25 degree cuts. I did think 22.5 would be close enough with
some filler but seems not :-(

Darren

You can lock them at any angle, with a little Ingenuity and a G clamp.

--
Mark§
This is an automatic signature of unknown origin

dmc

In article ,
Mark wrote:

You can lock them at any angle, with a little Ingenuity and a G clamp.

The elcheapo one that I have doesn't have a great deal available to clamp
but yes, I could do. Given that it doesn't actually cut the stuff all that
well anyway (needs a much finer blade) I don't think I'll bother.

I've got myself a new hacksaw blade - anyone in the Folkestone area
tomorrow listen out for the swearing

Darren

mitre cutting worktop upstands paulr UK diy 1 March 13th 05 04:52 PM
Mitre cutting Joe Woods UK diy 5 November 29th 04 11:33 PM
Gear cutting...am I crazy? (long) Glenn Lyford Metalworking 27 December 27th 03 06:39 AM
Large coving mitre box? Philip Kime UK diy 8 November 19th 03 12:26 AM
Cutting Mitres Michael McNeil UK diy 8 July 21st 03 07:23 PM