Philip Kime

Default Large coving mitre box?

I need, urgently to get a mitre box or (non-electric) saw to cut some
large plaster coving mitres. I need to cut arbitrary angled mitres,
not just 90 degrees and I have to be able to cut larger coving (184mm
and even larger). Most compound mitre saws don't have a large enough
box for this. Something like this would be ideal, but bigger:

Any suggestions? I have a specific date to do this and won't have time
to make a custom mitre box or anything - I just need to buy a tool
(not electric) and do it ...

PK
BigWallop

"Philip Kime" wrote in message
om...
I need, urgently to get a mitre box or (non-electric) saw to cut some
large plaster coving mitres. I need to cut arbitrary angled mitres,
not just 90 degrees and I have to be able to cut larger coving (184mm
and even larger). Most compound mitre saws don't have a large enough
box for this. Something like this would be ideal, but bigger:

Any suggestions? I have a specific date to do this and won't have time
to make a custom mitre box or anything - I just need to buy a tool
(not electric) and do it ...

PK

Watch out for the link wrapping back:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...92 7&ts=09534

Chris Oates

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Philip Kime" wrote in message
om...
I need, urgently to get a mitre box or (non-electric) saw to cut some
large plaster coving mitres. I need to cut arbitrary angled mitres,
not just 90 degrees and I have to be able to cut larger coving (184mm
and even larger). Most compound mitre saws don't have a large enough
box for this. Something like this would be ideal, but bigger:

Any suggestions? I have a specific date to do this and won't have time
to make a custom mitre box or anything - I just need to buy a tool
(not electric) and do it ...

PK

Watch out for the link wrapping back:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...92 7&ts=09534

Bigwallop has a bad day

John

I presume this isn't big enough, but I am thinking of purchasing one.
Anybody got one, and is it any good?

http://www.magicmitre.com

TIA

John

BigWallop

"Chris Oates" none wrote in message

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Philip Kime" wrote in message
om...
I need, urgently to get a mitre box or (non-electric) saw to cut some
large plaster coving mitres. I need to cut arbitrary angled mitres,
not just 90 degrees and I have to be able to cut larger coving (184mm
and even larger). Most compound mitre saws don't have a large enough
box for this. Something like this would be ideal, but bigger:

Any suggestions? I have a specific date to do this and won't have time
to make a custom mitre box or anything - I just need to buy a tool
(not electric) and do it ...

PK

Watch out for the link wrapping back:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...92 7&ts=09534

Bigwallop has a bad day

ROFLMAO !!!!!

Pasted the wrong link. Doh !!! :-))

I meant this item:

http://www.magicmitre.co.uk/

(sorry. I'll get me coat)

BigWallop

"John" wrote in message
I presume this isn't big enough, but I am thinking of purchasing one.
Anybody got one, and is it any good?

http://www.magicmitre.com

TIA

John

It took 6'' moulded cornice when I had to do repairs in our place, so yes,
it's a great little tool. Got ours from QVC but then found their website
from the instruction manual that came with. :-)) The item you're going to
cut isn't clamped in anything, it actually lies alongside the block, which
is then used as the guide for the saw.

Philip Kime

"John" wrote in message ...
I presume this isn't big enough, but I am thinking of purchasing one.
Anybody got one, and is it any good?

http://www.magicmitre.com

TIA

John

I saw this and it looks like the best thing but I'm not sure if it's
big enough - it says it will cut coving up to 135mm "girth". Now the
stuff I have has dimensions of 130mm from the wall to the edge but is
184mm "wide", presumably this means the diagonal width. I can't work
out whether the "girth" is the vertical (or horizonatal) distance from
the wall, or the longest width ... any ideas?

PK
John

"Philip Kime" wrote in message
om...
I saw this and it looks like the best thing but I'm not sure if it's
big enough - it says it will cut coving up to 135mm "girth". Now the
stuff I have has dimensions of 130mm from the wall to the edge but is
184mm "wide", presumably this means the diagonal width. I can't work
out whether the "girth" is the vertical (or horizonatal) distance from
the wall, or the longest width ... any ideas?

PK

My understanding of "girth" on coving is the dimension across the face, i.e.
the bit you see when looking at it once installed. I hope this is right
anybody agree/disagree?

John

dave

I am assuming this must be for more than the basic halfround type
plaster coving hence the need for a mitre box.. BUT.. a handy tip ,if
you are using half round type coving, is not to mitre it but scribe to
the half round and cut it 'back'on inside corners. Bascicaly using a
skirting board fitting technique.

Large mirrors Tim Johnson UK diy 3 September 3rd 03 04:49 PM
Removing paint from old plaster coving - how easy is it? Tess UK diy 1 August 1st 03 05:42 PM