Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Default Demoving dirty engine oil from clothes

A lost cause or worth a shot?

I went a bit mad last weekend and changed the oil in my lawnmower.
Unfortunately, I didn't realise just how far hot oil could splash and
managed to spatter my craghopper trousers with old oil. Conventional
washing hasn't shifted the oily marks.

Any suggestions or should I just bin them? I haven't tried drycleaning
(yet) as I'm concerned I could be just wasting my time (& money).

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
A lost cause or worth a shot?

I went a bit mad last weekend and changed the oil in my lawnmower.
Unfortunately, I didn't realise just how far hot oil could splash and
managed to spatter my craghopper trousers with old oil. Conventional
washing hasn't shifted the oily marks.

Any suggestions or should I just bin them? I haven't tried drycleaning
(yet) as I'm concerned I could be just wasting my time (& money).

Jizer may help (I've had a mixture of oil and jizer on my jeans before, and
it washes out fairly easily). IME oil alone it's a very hard stain to shift,
so I make sure I always wear old gear when I'm going anywhere near oil.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Tim Downie" gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

I went a bit mad last weekend and changed the oil in my lawnmower.
Unfortunately, I didn't realise just how far hot oil could splash

Eh? How far was it flowing from sump to container?

and managed to spatter my craghopper trousers with old oil.

Rule number 1. You will get grubby. Never wear clothes you give a toss
about when working on anything mechanical.

Conventional washing hasn't shifted the oily marks.

Any suggestions or should I just bin them?

Rub a bit of Swarfega or similar into the stains, then wash as normal.
It's worked fine for me on a VERY ingrained grease stain on a pair of
good jeans - I wasn't looking, and walked straight into an uncovered
towball - the bruise on my shin was almost as vivid as the grease mark on
the leg. Washed the trousers several times, without any change in the
mark. Swarfega, wash - as new.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

In article ,
"Tim Downie" writes:
A lost cause or worth a shot?

I went a bit mad last weekend and changed the oil in my lawnmower.
Unfortunately, I didn't realise just how far hot oil could splash and
managed to spatter my craghopper trousers with old oil. Conventional
washing hasn't shifted the oily marks.

Any suggestions or should I just bin them? I haven't tried drycleaning
(yet) as I'm concerned I could be just wasting my time (& money).

I suspect there are two components -- the oil itself, which should
wash out with detergent (although probably not with an eco one),
and the particles held in the old oil, which will cause colour
staining. I'm not sure exactly what the solids are, but I'm going
to guess it's mainly metalic particles and soot. Metalic particles
will probably come out with agitation and washing through once the
oil is removed. Soot is a different story. It's sticky, it's so
fine it will have gone into the material fibres, it's not acted on
by detergents, and thus is a pretty indelible dye. So I suspect the
success or otherwise will be down to how much soot was in the used
oil.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Sep 23, 8:18*am, "Tim Downie"
wrote:
A lost cause or worth a shot?

I went a bit mad last weekend and changed the oil in my lawnmower.
Unfortunately, I didn't realise just how far hot oil could splash and
managed to spatter my craghopper trousers with old oil. *Conventional
washing hasn't shifted the oily marks.

Any suggestions or should I just bin them? *I haven't tried drycleaning
(yet) as I'm concerned I could be just wasting my time (& money).

Tim

ISTR adding a tb of paraffin to the wash, but that was years ago so
cant be 100%

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
A lost cause or worth a shot?

I went a bit mad last weekend and changed the oil in my lawnmower.
Unfortunately, I didn't realise just how far hot oil could splash and
managed to spatter my craghopper trousers with old oil. Conventional
washing hasn't shifted the oily marks.

Any suggestions or should I just bin them? I haven't tried drycleaning
(yet) as I'm concerned I could be just wasting my time (& money).

I always keep a can of the old Ronsonol lighter fuel in the cupboard for
just that purpose. It is a good way to shift grease etc although I always
do it before the clothes are washed, I don't know whether having washed them
will reduce the efficiency.
--
Keith W
Sunbury on Thames

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 08:18:13 +0100, Tim Downie wrote:

Any suggestions or should I just bin them?

As others if you can't get 'em clean keep 'em for the next time you
are doing summat messy. More evidence of rampant consumerism. Blew up
the paper shredder this morning spraying DFL into it when running the
butane propellant ignited and blew open the plastic case. SWMBO'd was
all for binning it. Why? Take the cover off bit of glue good as new.
Me? Lesson learnt about flammable propellants. B-)

As for the trousers as they have been washed the stain may now have
been fixed, at what temperature and with what detergent/powder where
they washed? How to treat stains or "difficult" marks has obviously
not been passed on from parents to child...

Direct local application of a detergent or prewash treatment like
"Vanish" may loosen the stain enough for it to wash out. Application
of neat biological washing stuff will also work but may work to well,
removing/reducing the colour at the place of application.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 23 Sep, 08:18, "Tim Downie"
wrote:
A lost cause or worth a shot?

I went a bit mad last weekend and changed the oil in my lawnmower.
Unfortunately, I didn't realise just how far hot oil could splash and
managed to spatter my craghopper trousers with old oil. *Conventional
washing hasn't shifted the oily marks.

Any suggestions or should I just bin them? *I haven't tried drycleaning
(yet) as I'm concerned I could be just wasting my time (& money).

When I was a truck driver and came home sometimes covered in ****ty
grease, I used a chemical called "Green Saver Oil Dispersion Lotion"
made by a company called Stag Chem, Monarch Works, South gyle Ind Est,
Edinburgh (0131 334 8147)

It worked exceptionally well on my oily overalls when stripping my
motorbike. The bumf on the label reads "will quickly emulsify and
disperse accidental oil spills on grass including hydraulic oil" (my
brother obtained this for me when he was a greenkeeper)

I can swear by it.

McKevvy
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Tim Downie wrote:
A lost cause or worth a shot?

I went a bit mad last weekend and changed the oil in my lawnmower.
Unfortunately, I didn't realise just how far hot oil could splash and
managed to spatter my craghopper trousers with old oil. Conventional
washing hasn't shifted the oily marks.

Any suggestions or should I just bin them? I haven't tried drycleaning
(yet) as I'm concerned I could be just wasting my time (& money).

Tim

soak in petrol, then detergent.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On 23 Sep, 08:18, "Tim Downie"
wrote:
A lost cause or worth a shot?

I went a bit mad last weekend and changed the oil in my lawnmower.
Unfortunately, I didn't realise just how far hot oil could splash and
managed to spatter my craghopper trousers with old oil. *Conventional
washing hasn't shifted the oily marks.

Any suggestions or should I just bin them? *I haven't tried drycleaning
(yet) as I'm concerned I could be just wasting my time (& money).

Stardrops works well, as does rubbing swarfega into the stains. I
don't know how effective it will be now you've already washed them
though..

As an aside, I've found Johnson&Johnson's facial scrub is the *best*
thing for getting oil and crud off my hands, much to my wife's
disappointment..

Mike P

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 08:18:13 +0100, Tim Downie wrote:

Any suggestions or should I just bin them?

As others if you can't get 'em clean keep 'em for the next time you
are doing summat messy. More evidence of rampant consumerism. Blew up
the paper shredder this morning spraying DFL into it when running the
butane propellant ignited and blew open the plastic case. SWMBO'd was
all for binning it. Why? Take the cover off bit of glue good as new.
Me? Lesson learnt about flammable propellants. B-)

Cheers
Dave.

Sounds fun.

Reminds me, yesterday I was in an electrical wholesalers and noticed that
someone had removed the top part of their shredder, the part that does the
shredding and mounted it in an aperture cut out in the lid of a household
size plastic dustbin. No more emptying the shredder every 5 minutes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Mike P" wrote in message
On 23 Sep, 08:18, "Tim Downie"
wrote:
A lost cause or worth a shot?

I went a bit mad last weekend and changed the oil in my lawnmower.
Unfortunately, I didn't realise just how far hot oil could splash and
managed to spatter my craghopper trousers with old oil. Conventional
washing hasn't shifted the oily marks.

Any suggestions or should I just bin them? I haven't tried drycleaning
(yet) as I'm concerned I could be just wasting my time (& money).

Well, I put my overalls in the cleaners and they come back without oil
stains and not smelling of diesel any more. Worth a fiver, no?

But in the case of your trousers I'd tell them about the oil, it's obvious
in the case of overalls, but not so much in your case.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Alt Beer" wrote in message

[...]

TLC at Coulsdon?

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Mike P wrote:
On 23 Sep, 08:18, "Tim Downie"
wrote:
A lost cause or worth a shot?

I went a bit mad last weekend and changed the oil in my lawnmower.
Unfortunately, I didn't realise just how far hot oil could splash and
managed to spatter my craghopper trousers with old oil. Conventional
washing hasn't shifted the oily marks.

Any suggestions or should I just bin them? I haven't tried drycleaning
(yet) as I'm concerned I could be just wasting my time (& money).

Stardrops works well, as does rubbing swarfega into the stains. I
don't know how effective it will be now you've already washed them
though..

As an aside, I've found Johnson&Johnson's facial scrub is the *best*
thing for getting oil and crud off my hands, much to my wife's
disappointment..

Why? Does she like dirty hand prints on her bra and knickers that
much? ;-)

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Peter Andrews" wrote in message
news

"Alt Beer" wrote in message

[...]

Thats the one... do you work there?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

"Alt Beer" wrote in message

[...]

No, just a customer.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

Dave Liquorice wrote:

More evidence of rampant consumerism. Blew up
the paper shredder ...

And buying a paper shredder when you live somewhere you can have an open
fire or a bonfire...?

--
Kevin Poole
****Use current date to reply (e.g. )****
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 10:11:26 +0100, Kevin Poole wrote:

More evidence of rampant consumerism. Blew up the paper shredder

And buying a paper shredder when you live somewhere you can have an open
fire or a bonfire...?

Good point, except that the shreddings go into the compost heap to
keep its fibre content up and thus prevent it becoming a black,
smelly, anerobic, splodge.

--
Cheers
Dave.