Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default Sheds

I need a shed! (Doesn't everyone?) And I'd like to get it sorted
before the winter hits.

Just a bog-standard 8 x 6, ideally in shiplap.

On a very rough estimate, it doesn't look like there's a lot to be
saved by building from scratch compared with buying something and, of
course, the manufactured ones would take a lot less time to install.
A lot of places are running sales just now, of course. Nonetheless, I
thought I would poll the experts here for a bit of advice: Do you
think it's best to build from scratch or buy ready made? I sort of
anticipate that anything ready-made could well benefit from a bit of
judicious reinforcement, but that's hardly a big deal.

While I'm on, does anyone have any good/bad experiences of suppliers
either online or locally in the midlands?

Thanks all
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 22, 9:27*am, GMM wrote:
I need a shed! *(Doesn't everyone?) *And I'd like to get it sorted
before the winter hits.

Just a bog-standard 8 x 6, ideally in shiplap.

On a very rough estimate, it doesn't look like there's a lot to be
saved by building from scratch compared with buying something and, of
course, the manufactured ones would take a lot less time to install.
A lot of places are running sales just now, of course. *Nonetheless, I
thought I would poll the experts here for a bit of advice: *Do you
think it's best to build from scratch or buy ready made? *I sort of
anticipate that anything ready-made could well benefit from a bit of
judicious reinforcement, but that's hardly a big deal.

While I'm on, does anyone have any good/bad experiences of suppliers
either online or locally in the midlands?

Thanks all

That matches my experience, no cheaper to DIY but you get a much more
robust result, and importantly you can have whatever size, shape,
design and features you want.

Next time round I may well consider spending the money on a suitable
saw instead, and using a garden felled tree.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 01:27:05 -0700 (PDT), GMM wrote:

I need a shed! (Doesn't everyone?) And I'd like to get it sorted
before the winter hits.

Just a bog-standard 8 x 6, ideally in shiplap.

On a very rough estimate, it doesn't look like there's a lot to be
saved by building from scratch compared with buying something and, of
course, the manufactured ones would take a lot less time to install.
A lot of places are running sales just now, of course. Nonetheless, I
thought I would poll the experts here for a bit of advice: Do you
think it's best to build from scratch or buy ready made? I sort of
anticipate that anything ready-made could well benefit from a bit of
judicious reinforcement, but that's hardly a big deal.

While I'm on, does anyone have any good/bad experiences of suppliers
either online or locally in the midlands?

Thanks all

Only experience of one company via 'phone with an enquiry; helpful replies
to my questions:

http://www.jacksonsgardensupplies.co.uk/index.html

in South Yardley, Birmingham.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 02:09:33 -0700, NT wrote:
That matches my experience, no cheaper to DIY

I've found that most of the expense goes on the roof - if you can find a
way of cutting costs there then it could work out a *lot* cheaper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 22, 2:28*pm, Jules
wrote:
On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 02:09:33 -0700, NT wrote:
That matches my experience, no cheaper to DIY

I've found that most of the expense goes on the roof - if you can find a
way of cutting costs there then it could work out a *lot* cheaper.

That was about a fifth of the budget IIRC last time I built one. That
was felt on ply though, not longer lasting options.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I need a shed! (Doesn't everyone?) And I'd like to get it sorted
before the winter hits.

Just a bog-standard 8 x 6, ideally in shiplap.

On a very rough estimate, it doesn't look like there's a lot to be
saved by building from scratch compared with buying something and, of
course, the manufactured ones would take a lot less time to install.
A lot of places are running sales just now, of course. Nonetheless, I
thought I would poll the experts here for a bit of advice: Do you
think it's best to build from scratch or buy ready made? I sort of
anticipate that anything ready-made could well benefit from a bit of
judicious reinforcement, but that's hardly a big deal.

While I'm on, does anyone have any good/bad experiences of suppliers
either online or locally in the midlands?

Thanks all

If I had some decent carpentry skills I would have probably made one.
Instead I bought a shed in kit form from gardenbuildingsdirect two
years ago.

The size is 10' x 8', which is just big enough to store my garden
tools etc. It was easy to erect on my own. All the fixings were
supplied, plus the roofing materials. I used screws generally instead
of the nails supplied. Also I did add some long coach bolts through
top & bottom of each corner to complete the bracing. I added some
guttering and a water butt to finish off the task.

Mine is supported on 6 off 3" x 3" fence posts that rest on concrete
paving slabs that I levelled out carefully.

It cost me £300 then. I see that the same shed is about £320 now.
It looks fine with a coat of fence preservative. My son-in law bought
a larger one, which looks even better, and we are both very pleased.

David J

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, GMM
writes
I need a shed! (Doesn't everyone?) And I'd like to get it sorted
before the winter hits.

Just a bog-standard 8 x 6, ideally in shiplap.

On a very rough estimate, it doesn't look like there's a lot to be
saved by building from scratch compared with buying something and, of
course, the manufactured ones would take a lot less time to install.
A lot of places are running sales just now, of course. Nonetheless, I
thought I would poll the experts here for a bit of advice: Do you
think it's best to build from scratch or buy ready made? I sort of
anticipate that anything ready-made could well benefit from a bit of
judicious reinforcement, but that's hardly a big deal.

We had a new shed in the old house. I did consider DIY, but had enough
things to do, and while I'm sure I would have ended up with a 'better'
shed- I'm not sure when I might have ended up with a better one :-), the
one we bought was perfectly good, and up to the job. It was sturdy,
weatherproof, went up square and stayed that way.

I'd steer clear of the very cheapest DIY shed type ones, some do look a
bit on the ropey side. In the end we got one from a local
sawmill/fencing suppliers. They also made sheds on site as well. They
were made to order, so you pretty much have whatever size, doors/window
arrangement you wanted. Though going for a standard setup was a bit
cheaper IIRC as presumably they were all setup to make them easily.

IIRC A bit more expensive than a decent mass produced one from a garden
buildings place, but good quality and well made.

I had it erected as well, it wasn't that much more and it saved me the
time. But it wouldn't be hard to DIY erect. I prepared the base -
concrete block bedded onto weak sand/cement mix with treated fence posts
run across as bearers
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David J used his keyboard to write :

[...]

Just an idea....

5m of 300mm wide plastic white soffit board is double skinned and cost
me around £9 per 5m length. Each length just clips into the next one
above it. Now assuming you could build a suitable timber frame and
further assuming its poor security were not much of an issue, that
would be a fairly cheap way to build a hut. A 6 x 4 hut would need at a
guess 6 lengths for the walls and the finish is similar to shiplap.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Thanks chaps. Although I completely agree with NT's view that a self-
build would be more robust, I suspect that it will be more
straightforward to get something from a supplier and 'help' it with a
little careful modification.

I looked up the supplier that David mentioned and they do provide a
good reference point for price, which is much keener than a B&Q
special or the like, with a great deal more choice.
Jackson's, suggested by Peter, are well within the area and I'll be
giving them a call when I have a moment to myself. Unfortunately,
their online price list is dated 2007 and they appear to be offering
supply and erection which, while attractive, makes things a bit more
complicated from my point of view (ie having to be at home and having
the base prepared ready for them). Of course, I'd rather go with a
local small firm if they can do what I need.

I'm intrigued at the idea of using fence posts as bearers (David and
Chris), as I was thinking in terms of having to make a slab base: I
was sort of hoping to use up a pile of old bricks as hardcore, but I
suppose I could do that just as easily under fence post bearers,
without using as many slabs. It does make sense, as it would lift the
whole thing good and clear of the base to prevent rot to some extent.
Just wondering if I can get a stack of 2.4m 75 x 75s in the car (oh
how I miss the last one, that could take a bigger load!)

I can see Harry's proposition of using soffit board. It wouldn't rot
and you can get it in other colours from some sources, though I think
it wouldn't be as rigid as T+G, so the frame would have to be much
sturdier, with more uprights to nail it to. Of course, it wouldn't
rot, so that would be a bonus....

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 23, 3:21*pm, GMM wrote:
[...]

If you just want quick and light, you could go with fence panels. The
wiki sheds article discusses various optins, including using posts as
bases. You can also lay slabs without hardcore, just put them on sand
on compacted earth. There are so many options... that article lists
many of them.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 07:21:26 -0700 (PDT), GMM wrote:

I'm intrigued at the idea of using fence posts as bearers (David and
Chris), as I was thinking in terms of having to make a slab base: I
was sort of hoping to use up a pile of old bricks as hardcore, but I
suppose I could do that just as easily under fence post bearers,

Our shed is on 3 x 3 fence posts more or less directly on the ground.
There is the odd brick or stone under them here and there but nothing
particularly consistent. Decent quality treated posts won't rot under
a shed, the air flow will keep them and the shed floor pretty dry.

I can see Harry's proposition of using soffit board.

Wouldn't look very nice IMHO and I'm a little confused a bout the
lack of security aspect. Wouldn't take much of kick or whack with
hammer to bash through a bit of shiplap or panelling. uPVC soffit the
hammer will just bounce off...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Sheds? Andy Champ[_2_] UK diy 19 August 22nd 09 10:28 PM
Power to sheds The Medway Handyman UK diy 14 June 21st 08 01:25 PM
Sheds sheds sheds GMM UK diy 5 April 16th 08 09:37 PM
One in the eye for the sheds Steve Firth UK diy 0 May 2nd 06 12:36 AM
Sheds? Badger UK diy 12 January 5th 05 04:11 PM