Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default Sheds sheds sheds

So it's spring and an old man's fancy turns to sheds.
I don't want to make this into a whole summer's project or to
construct an elaborate workshop - I simply want somewhere to stash all
the stuff that clutters the garage and stops me using that space
properly. So it's going to be pretty basic and so long as it doesn't
look too bad, fall down instantly or cost me a fortune, it will be
fine.

The space I have (not to mention the flimsy construction of most of
the ones I've poked about at in the diy chains) will require a custom
built jobbie and the whole enterprise seems straighforward enough but
I thought I'd consult the assembled experts for (a) any tips that may
not be too obvious and (b) what would be the best thing for the
outside of the thing. I've mulled over shiplap (seems a bit pricey,
but I haven't been to the woodyard yet), featheredge over an inner
skin of some sort of sheet, ply (though I think that would be pretty
ugly) etc etc.

It seems the possible options are to make a sturdy frame and use
something lightweight to cover it or to make a less robust frame and
use something tongued and grooved to give strength (which is what B&Q
etc seem to do). Any wisdom on the merits of each of these?
(Obviously a sturdy frame with a structural cladding would be
strongest but almost pretty pricey.

Any comments gratefully received (asuming they get through the
enormous amounts of spam that seems to be cluttering this group right
now)
Thanks chaps
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote in

So it's spring and an old man's fancy turns to sheds.
I don't want to make this into a whole summer's project or to
construct an elaborate workshop - I simply want somewhere to stash all
the stuff that clutters the garage and stops me using that space
properly. So it's going to be pretty basic and so long as it doesn't
look too bad, fall down instantly or cost me a fortune, it will be
fine.

Don't know if this is any help to you - it's worth a trawl round their site
as well as looking at the linked paged:

http://www.buildeazy.com/newplans/only_sheds.html

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GMM wrote:

Any comments gratefully received (asuming they get through the
enormous amounts of spam that seems to be cluttering this group right
now)
Thanks chaps

Don't discount shiplap - I ended up finding a "proper" timber yard that
sold a very decent 16mm (from memory) at around 1/2 what Wickes wanted
for a flimsy 10mm board, and which brought the cost down, maybe not to
the same as feather-edge from Wickes, but close enough to warrant paying
the difference to get the shiplap.

Go to the timber yard, and talk linear feet (or metre, or whatever) and
get em to give you a quote.

I built mine on a framework made from scant timber, another cheap source
of pretty solid timber.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Dodd wrote:
GMM wrote:

Any comments gratefully received (asuming they get through the
enormous amounts of spam that seems to be cluttering this group right
now)
Thanks chaps

Don't discount shiplap - I ended up finding a "proper" timber yard that
sold a very decent 16mm (from memory) at around 1/2 what Wickes wanted
for a flimsy 10mm board, and which brought the cost down, maybe not to
the same as feather-edge from Wickes, but close enough to warrant paying
the difference to get the shiplap.

Go to the timber yard, and talk linear feet (or metre, or whatever) and
get em to give you a quote.

I built mine on a framework made from scant timber, another cheap source
of pretty solid timber.

Last one I built was a few decades ago but I remember thinking that the
key was cutting the pieces for the frame very accurately. Then you know
that everything will be straight and square later on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Any comments gratefully received (asuming they get through the
enormous amounts of spam that seems to be cluttering this group right
now)
Thanks chaps

Hello

Don't fanny about with roofing felt when you can get these:
http://tinyurl.com/5qzvd3

End of advice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vortex3 wrote:

Don't fanny about with roofing felt when you can get these:
http://tinyurl.com/5qzvd3

Hmm, interesting. Shame they only come in packs of 20 - I could really
do with just one for my cupboard-sized lawnmower and spade "shed". It's
one of these: http://www.shedstore.co.uk/itemdetl....mprcd/eco32ogs
, and while you can tell it's cheap most of it is fine for the job.
However, the roofing "felt" it came with is paper-thin, and worse still
was folded in the pack. I've also sited the thing up against my
workshop, so it gets a fair bit of runoff from the eaves of that flowing
across its roof. All in all I don't expect the felt to last long.

Oh well, I suppose any handy sheet of black plastic will do.

Pete

Metal sheds Staffbull UK diy 2 November 26th 06 07:26 PM
STEEL SHEDS Davao UK diy 0 May 29th 06 11:56 AM
One in the eye for the sheds Steve Firth UK diy 0 May 2nd 06 12:36 AM
[OT] Sheds from space Vortex UK diy 28 July 21st 05 11:06 PM
Sheds? Badger UK diy 12 January 5th 05 04:11 PM